BUILT
Dockside Green, tower 1
Use: condo
Address: 369 Tyee Road
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 13
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, 3BR, penthouse, 1BR + den, 2BR + den)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
Dockside Green, tower 1 is a 12-storey condominium tower situated along the 300-block of Tyee Road within the ... (view full profile)
Learn more about Dockside Green, tower 1 on Citified.ca
Photo

[Vic West] Dockside Green | Condos; offices; commercial

Condo Commercial Office

• Please log in to reply
1697 replies to this topic

#861 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 04:09 PM

This just in...

A local urban agriculture company (i've been asked not to divulge) is setting up a large outdoor growing facility in the vacant lands on Harbour Road (Dockside Green).  The operation will be growing greens for local restaurants etc.  

Features of this project are reported to include:

- compost from reFUSE

- Bicycle delivery of produce to local restaurants.

- Product delivered in reusable totes

Attached Images

• UrbanAgriculture.jpg

Edited by JanionGuy, 08 March 2016 - 04:16 PM.

• Matt R., Gary H and nagel like this

#862 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,478 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 07:19 AM

Organic veggie garden comes to life at Dockside Green

http://victoria.citi...dockside-green/

Vic West's Dockside Green development is about to get a little greener with the installation of an organic vegetable "GrowSpace."

Created by Victoria-based Topsoil, a gardening company extracting untapped food production potential from urban spaces, GrowSpace uses movable planters to create gardens on rooftops or otherwise non-arable land. And the one thing Dockside Green has plenty of while awaiting future phases of construction just happens to be the key ingredient for Topsoil's operations. [Full article]

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#863 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 07:46 AM

This just in...

A local urban agriculture company (i've been asked not to divulge) is setting up a large outdoor growing facility in the vacant lands on Harbour Road (Dockside Green).  The operation will be growing greens for local restaurants etc.  

Features of this project are reported to include:

- compost from reFUSE

- Bicycle delivery of produce to local restaurants.

- Product delivered in reusable totes

Not to rain too heavily on this parade, but it looks like a highly inefficient way of farming.  For some niche products and for some restaurants that can afford the extra cost because they have decent margins and are already successes, but for the other 99% of food consumption*, and the other 99.5% of farm products*, it looks weak.

*usual

• Baro and Dr. Barillas like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#864 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,478 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 08:01 AM

It's not a mass production facility, but for restaurants that want organic produce grown locally and delivered expediently this is the ultimate solution without them having to secure their own farmland (which several local restaurants have done). I think this is great -- brilliant even -- and despite its small size it's still an opportunity.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#865 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 08:19 AM

It's not a mass production facility, but for restaurants that want organic produce grown locally and delivered expediently this is the ultimate solution without them having to secure their own farmland (which several local restaurants have done). I think this is great -- brilliant even -- and despite its small size it's still an opportunity.

Not to mention it's a fairly high traffic area.  People are going to get to see these things sprout up essentially from dirt in garbage bags, enticing them to give it a try themselves.  It shows you don't need a greenhouse, irrigation and a bunch of illegal workers to grow your own food.

• J_Loveday likes this

#866 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,478 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 09:08 AM

And there's that, too. Done right this could be a huge benefit to Topsoil.

Know it all.

#867 rambaldi

rambaldi
  • 182 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 12:22 PM

Not to rain too heavily on this parade, but it looks like a highly inefficient way of farming.  For some niche products and for some restaurants that can afford the extra cost because they have decent margins and are already successes, but for the other 99% of food consumption*, and the other 99.5% of farm products*, it looks weak.

*usual

While not as visible to the public, farming inside shipping containers also kind of fits into the whole Dockside Green BETA profile and might prove to be an even better business model.

#868 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 12:38 PM

Not to mention it's a fairly high traffic area.  People are going to get to see these things sprout up essentially from dirt in garbage bags, enticing them to give it a try themselves.  It shows you don't need a greenhouse, irrigation and a bunch of illegal workers to grow your own food.

Well, in this case it appears you need free land (it's being donated for a year).  That's normally a bit tough to come by.  I also think there is some potential for theft here, hope not of course.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#869 attica

attica
  • 39 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 10:17 AM

Well, in this case it appears you need free land (it's being donated for a year).  That's normally a bit tough to come by.  I also think there is some potential for theft here, hope not of course.

Actually, This is a trick developers use in Vancouver all the time. By allowing community gardening, or creating a simple "park". Fallow land waiting for development is reclassified as "park" for property tax purposes, thus drastically decreasing property taxes and carrying costs. 

Onni in Vancouver went as far as just put a fence up, added some gravel, opened it to the public and called it a Dog Park

• Nparker likes this

#870 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 10:32 AM

Actually, This is a trick developers use in Vancouver all the time. By allowing community gardening, or creating a simple "park". Fallow land waiting for development is reclassified as "park" for property tax purposes, thus drastically decreasing property taxes and carrying costs. 

Onni in Vancouver went as far as just put a fence up, added some gravel, opened it to the public and called it a Dog Park

Apparently this one has a fence, I've now heard.

#871 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 10:26 AM

I see Green...

25404256064_df401639a4_h.jpg

25736219190_cfcfb7211d_h.jpg

#872 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 08:44 AM

Greens are coming along nicely!

Attached Images

• Salad.jpg

• Nparker and Greg like this

#873 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 07:13 PM

HOPS!

Attached Images

• hops.jpg

• Matt R. likes this

#874 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 06:19 PM

We received one of those City of Victoria notices to the neighborhood that the project was going to be up for discussion soon.

The City of Victoria development tracker has all the documents, but the one with the most information about the actual project is:

https://web2.victori...473 (11x17).pdf

The buildings get taller as they progress toward Esquimalt Rd.

#875 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,682 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 06:40 PM

...The [theoretical] buildings get taller as they progress toward Esquimalt Rd.

I won't believe taller buildings are coming to Dockside Green until they are built and occupied.

#876 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,478 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 07:44 AM

Weirdie, are you able to describe what the dates are and what will be up for discussion?

Their affordable housing townhomes should be coming up soon.

Know it all.

#877 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 09:46 AM

The notice is a request for feedback on the new (May 2016) Dockside Green Urban Design Guidelines and the exemption of future subdivision applications from requiring a development permit.  Input is requested by June 8th.  No date for a public hearing has been set yet.

My take is that the Dockside Green team has been working hard at getting as much design and approval legwork done as possible, including creating subdivisions based on the those designs, to enable developers to come in and just start building - to the approved design guidelines of course.  Pick your favorite subdivision Mr. Developer and just build it.

Here is the subdivision extract from: https://tender.victo...116155216600000,  note the second paragraph.

Subdivision pg 39.png

Edited by Gary H, 22 May 2016 - 09:49 AM.

#878 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,478 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 09:50 AM

OK, great. This is the style of development we had theorized would happen.

Know it all.

#879 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,682 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 10:37 AM

... Pick your favorite subdivision Mr. Developer and just build it...

This.

#880 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 10:55 AM

Kind of funny that the clowns running DG are missing the hottest real estate market since 2007...

• Nparker, 2F2R and Dr. Barillas like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users