BUILT
Dockside Green, tower 1
Use: condo
Address: 369 Tyee Road
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 13
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, 3BR, penthouse, 1BR + den, 2BR + den)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
Dockside Green, tower 1 is a 12-storey condominium tower situated along the 300-block of Tyee Road within the ... (view full profile)
Learn more about Dockside Green, tower 1 on Citified.ca
Photo

[Vic West] Dockside Green | Condos; offices; commercial

Condo Commercial Office

• Please log in to reply
1693 replies to this topic

#21 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 05:50 PM

right!!! How could I forget this.

#22 aastra

aastra
  • 20,570 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 06:39 PM

Evil developments do seem to get a lot of bad press, you're right.

#23 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 07:00 PM

It's not like this one doesn't get bad press as well.

#24 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 07:20 PM

But no where near the bad press of say the Y-lot or the Falls.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#25 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 07:34 PM

that's because Malcolm Curtis and Pam are friends. And this is Pam's baby.

The baby that's going to disprove the theory, that 5 - 6 story buildings can produce all the density and affordability this city needs, wrong.

#26 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 08:14 PM

Most buildings are taller than 5/6 stories in Dockside.
And Malcolm has written negative articles about Dockside.

#27 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 04:24 AM

Green' research grant flows to Dockside job
$350,000 will offset costs to study sewage, stormwater treatment

Carolyn Heiman
Times Colonist

Friday, October 13, 2006

A $350,000 government grant has been given to the developer of Dockside Green to pay for research aimed at creating what's hoped to be North America's first greenhouse gas neutral community.

The money from the Green Municipal Fund, announced yesterday, will be used to offset costs Windmill Development Group has incurred to research on-site sewage and stormwater treatment. Also covered will be a feasibility study for a bio-mass gasification system to heat the development and distribute excess heat to neighbouring properties.

[...]
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#28 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 09:46 AM

Dockside receives federal cash to cover green costs

Brennan Clarke/Victoria News

Vancouver city Coun. Suzanne Anton, Victoria Mayor Alan Lowe, federal Natural Resources Minister Gary Lunn
and Dockside Green partner Joe Van Belleghem pause during a recent announcement
as work on the $500-million development proceeds in the background.

By Brennan Clarke
Victoria News
Oct 25 2006

Over the last couple of years, the developers of Dockside Green have spent close to $1.8 million on various studies needed to demonstrate the viability of the project's cutting-edge, environmentally friendly technology.

The project recently received $350,000 from the federal government to help cover those costs.

"It will help offset some of the costs for studies and field tests we have done," said Joe Van Belleghem of Windmill Developments, which has partnered with VanCity Credit Union on the $500-million project

[...]
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#29 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 09:10 AM

Taking the lead in water management
Dockside Green's on-site treatment plant to benefit residents and the environment
Carolyn Heiman, Times Colonist
Published: Monday, October 30, 2006

Borrowing ingredients from a neighbour for a recipe is a time-honoured tradition. But here's the oddest thing to have to borrow: sewage.

Dockside Green developers will have to ask for sewage from the city of Victoria -- which arguably has enough of the unwanted stuff to share around -- to launch an on-site sewage treatment system being constructed as part of the Inner Harbour community.

Oscar Regier, a consulting engineer working on the project, said the plant will need a top-up of natural microbes from sewage so treatment action can get going before all of the community's 1,200 units are built and occupied.

[...]

#30 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 07:59 PM

TV interview with Joe Van Bellingham about the project and his philosophy. Worth the 27 minutes if you can spare it.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=3jD7rATl39Y

#31 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 09:52 AM

The first phase of the project is already at ground level with slabs being poured for the floor of the second floor.

The progress is quite fast on this one.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#32 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 09:56 AM

Any word on when the city plans to finish Harbour Road through to Tyee?

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#33 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 09:57 AM

Probably when the first one or two phases are completed, as I believe the parking entrance is through Harbour Road for phase II and potentially for phase I.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#34 djp

djp
  • 40 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 10:54 AM

Bah. Looking at the renderings, I think Dockside Green could end up being quite ugly. I hate the green panels - it's the colour I hate, not the environmental features, btw. But with all that extensive landscaping, this place is sure going to use a lot of water, unless they plan on letting all that grass turn brown (or unless they actually plant sensible species). That, combined with its space-wasting lack of density makes me dubious about the environmental benefits of the project.

#35 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 11:37 AM

All the water used for irrigation and water features will be recycled water from rainwater collected on-site, and grey water(relatively clean water, from the toilets and bath and kitcehn drains.)
There will be no grass on site whatsoever. All plants used will either native or addaptive, drought tolerant plants that require minimal irrigation anyway.
Dockside will collect enough water that they plan on selling some back to some of the industrial plants within the surrounding area.
This project will be LEED Platinum, the highest rating for the internationally recognized rating system for environmental design. It is a huge achievement. Far too often people forget this or overlook this.
I would have liked to see it higher in density, but keep in mind that they plan on creating there own power on site - a proven technology that burns waste wood cleanly. They'll create enough power on site, that they plan on selling some of it back to the city.
I think that makes up for what makes you dubious djp.

I read a lot about the LEED rating system before this project was concieved of. I was blown away when I heard that a LEED Platnum project was going to be built in my city. This is a good thing - even though the project's not perfect.

#36 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 11:58 AM

The whole project smells like an inefficient over-hyped 'showcase' project. Little more than a proof of concept, that has been proven better elsewhere. Victoria has enough little 'scale model' projects, how about we actually build a grown-up sized version of something one day?
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#37 Walter Moar

Walter Moar
  • 166 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 12:02 PM

[snip] but keep in mind that they plan on creating there own power on site - a proven technology that burns waste wood cleanly [snip]

Just a technicality, but they're not burning the wood waste. From the Dockside Green site:

BIOMASS ENERGY COGENERATION

Rather than burning wood waste, we'll use a thermochemical gasification process to create a synthetic gas that will in turn fuel the engines of Dockside Green's power generator. The input “chemicals” for thermochemical gasification – wood, water and air – are heated in a low-air environment until the wood undergoes gaseous decomposition. The resulting gaseous products are then scrubbed and cleaned before entering the engines, so no smoke is produced – just green electrical energy and clean, odourless flue gases. To avoid noise disturbances, the gasification plant and the engines will be housed in an acoustically isolated building.

I thought it was cool, and it stuck in my mind!

#38 SpeEZd-iN

SpeEZd-iN
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 12:32 PM

People in the know will tell you that Dockside Green could be a serious debacle with a potentially miserable ending. Steel and Concerete labor & materials will be quite expensive in the Pacific Rim due to China's demand for materials, Alberta's never ending thirst for skilled workers, and local tightening of the labor market due to "non-market" projects known as the Olympics.

Couple that harsh reality with a general lack of density, expensive LEEDS Platinum construction, and a subsidized (so called) affordable housing component and it's enough to make one send Pam & Co to Economics 101 for a dose of reality.

Off course Malcolm Curtis & Russ Francis will not write an objective article about the true economics of Dockside Green anytime soon. Truth is such an abomination after all.

#39 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 01:44 PM

The density of DG is roughly 2:1, btw.

No wonder the Vic West Community Assoc has championed the project, as the density is about that of a small apartment complex.

Know it all.

#40 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 01:45 PM

People in the know will tell you that Dockside Green could be a serious debacle with a potentially miserable ending. Steel and Concerete labor & materials will be quite expensive in the Pacific Rim due to China's demand for materials, Alberta's never ending thirst for skilled workers, and local tightening of the labor market due to "non-market" projects known as the Olympics.

Couple that harsh reality with a general lack of density, expensive LEEDS Platinum construction, and a subsidized (so called) affordable housing component and it's enough to make one send Pam & Co to Economics 101 for a dose of reality.

Off course Malcolm Curtis & Russ Francis will not write an objective article about the true economics of Dockside Green anytime soon. Truth is such an abomination after all.

Umm, Malcom Curtis HAS written negatively about the project. And I'm sure, crusty old Russ would find plenty of things to ***** about when it comes to Dockside if he wasn't so obsessed with SOFMC and the Victoria Marathon running through his precious James Bay.
There seems to be this idea that LEED Platinum ( LEED, not LEEDS) is a lot more expensive than conventional projects. It's like 2-5% more expensive. Not as significant than what one would think. Not to mention the fact that it will count as a savings in the long term - and not the mention the environmental savings.
The rise in demand for materials is a reality for every project n the city.
I know a few people involved in the project, and I know that they are on budget.

And please guys. Can we give it rest with this Pam thing with this project?
She voted for it. So what? Are we going to hate every project just because she voted for it? Silly.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users