BUILT
Dockside Green, tower 1
Use: condo
Address: 369 Tyee Road
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 13
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, 3BR, penthouse, 1BR + den, 2BR + den)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
Dockside Green, tower 1 is a 12-storey condominium tower situated along the 300-block of Tyee Road within the ... (view full profile)
Learn more about Dockside Green, tower 1 on Citified.ca
Photo

[Vic West] Dockside Green | Condos; offices; commercial

Condo Commercial Office

• Please log in to reply
1697 replies to this topic

#61 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 08:00 PM

I'm trying to understand where the four buildings of Synergy and Balance are on the Dockside Green site in Vic West. Looking at the site plan it appears that Synergy are the two buildings at upper right closest to Triangle park, and Balance are the two buildings at upper left closest to the intersection of Tyee & Esquimalt. Is that correct?

http://docksidegreen... ... d63c871736

If it is these four buildings appear to be the largest in the development.

Synergy

Balance

I couldn't find any sales page for Synergy on the Dockside Green website. It must be sold out?

#62 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 08:23 PM

Hmm I am pretty sure that the model in the shop shows Synergy as the 2 buildings closest to Upper Harbour Place and then Balance the 2 buildings next to them. I believe they are doing the phased sales that are becoming popular. The Store street shop really gives you perspective I recommend a visit! You know it is kind of weird that the Falls display is near the dockside site and the Dockside place is near the Falls site sort of.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#63 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 08:29 PM

oh ya I saw the sales centre along waft st there. a mini sales office row happening there with a few other developments having setup. I should drop in one day.

#64 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 09:56 PM

Yeah, Synergy is closest to Upper Harbour place and Balance is down Tye.

Specific plans are in the works for a pub, bakery and office space on Harbour Rd, below the synergy and balance buildings - closer to the water. Probably will proceed in the next year.

#65 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 02:51 PM

^A pub would be cool with a view of downtown 8)

Today's committee of the whole had a presentation by DG's reps about the developments committments.

However, when the issue of DCCs came up, (they're being raised by the City by 600%), the Dockside folk stated that their committments could be in jeopardy with higher development charges. They reiterated that their original proposal to the city does not take into account higher costs of such sorts and that they are requesting an exemption. Could it be that if the DCC costs are weighed Dockside will require more density?

Councillor Geoff Young stated that other councillors should stop requesting developers to follow Dockside becuase the land sale (for DG) was tied to the City's request for a "triple bottom line" development and thus was sold for less than market value.

I'm glad C. Young mentioned that because all too often we have councillors complaining that new developments don't have LEED this or LEED that, but then they complain that not enough is being done to reduce unit costs. In reality implementing much of what Dockside Green is implementing requires substantial investment that in non-subsidized projects is turned over directly to consumers.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#66 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 09:33 AM

I'm all for this project, don't get me wrong. It will be a world-reknowned showcase for Victoria and my neighbourhood so I welcome this development with open arms. However, what has bothered me over the years was this need by some vocal councillors to hark on other developers for not following Dockside's environmental leads and treating other projects as under-achievers. Meanwhile, Dockside is subsidized so it can acheive the goals it set out to acheive and if the going gets rough, as per the DCC situation, Dockside expects to be treated differently. I have no problem with this, per se, as the developer is showcasing never before tried development products and is "1st" in many green-related aspects, but other projects should not be compared side by side unless they too receive subsidies from City Hall.

Councillor Madoff's comments below, which I've bolded, show just how hypocritical comparisons between developments can be. Councillors will bless a subsidized project for what it can acheive, and then turn around and lambast other projects for failing on following through on their promises althewhile never mentioning subsidies. Furthermore, if a developer wants to play with costlier materials in order to provide a greener structure, these councillors hark on them for high unit costs and no consideration for lower-income members of the community.

Dockside looks for break from city
Development cost charges rise 800 per cent since deal signed

BY CAROLYN HEIMAN Times Colonist staff
One of the largest developments in the province got an A-plus on its firstyear report card yesterday. In exchange, the developer is hoping for a reward from the City of Victoria.

Joe Van Belleghem, a partner in the Dockside Green development, told council Thursday that proposed increases to the city’s development cost charges will unexpectedly add $2.1 million to his costs — 800 per cent more than originally thought.

[...]

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#67 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 10:21 AM

When Madoff is talking about building not following through she is referring to Shoal Point not having all the greenhouses and greenery on the roof. She brings it up all the time.

It has a whole new look!

#68 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 05:45 PM

Today:

Something to do with the water system no doubt:

#69 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 06:00 PM

That's Synergy? I like the small footprint. I just wish it had been a bit taller.

#70 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 06:26 PM

Yeah that's synergy.

#71 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 06:55 PM

Small "s"?

#72 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 07:01 PM

no, big S...i think

#73 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 08:55 AM

Dockside Green fast-tracking affordable units
Victoria council reviews project's progress

Carolyn Heiman, Times Colonist
Published: Friday, December 15, 2006

http://www.canada.com/victoriatimescolonist/news/capital_van_isl/story.html?id=031a7b1b-f354-479b-9912-0d12586d2660&p=1

It has a whole new look!

#74 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 03:03 PM

Site prep on the second phase has begun, btw.

Know it all.

#75 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 11:26 AM

Aspiring architects tackle changes to city’s harbour
Andrea Lavigne/Victoria News
University of Oregon architecture students Peter Makrauer, left, and Chris Small discuss potential design challenges at Point Hope shipyard Friday, Jan. 12.

By Andrea Lavigne
Victoria News
Jan 19 2007

The Sail and Life Training Society is going beyond the old maxim “two heads are better than one.”

The society had about 30 heads adorned with bright orange hard hats touring its shipyard near the Johnson Street bridge on the west side of the upper harbour last weekend.

The graduate and undergraduate students from the University of Oregon were in town to gain some real-life architectural experience by tackling a design problem facing the S.A.L.T.S. Heritage Shipyard.

[...]

It has a whole new look!

#76 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 10:09 AM

Since when does Avril Lavigne write newspaper articles?

#77 djp

djp
  • 40 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 11:16 AM

Her last album wasn't as successful as her first. I guess she went into journalism as an alternative... :shock:

#78 ressen

ressen
  • 539 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 07:37 PM

Tyee Rd. looking South.

#79 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 10:39 PM

Thanks for the great photo!
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

#80 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 10:56 PM

That's a nice view.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users