BUILT
Dockside Green, tower 1
Use: condo
Address: 369 Tyee Road
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 13
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, 3BR, penthouse, 1BR + den, 2BR + den)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
Dockside Green, tower 1 is a 12-storey condominium tower situated along the 300-block of Tyee Road within the ... (view full profile)
Learn more about Dockside Green, tower 1 on Citified.ca
Photo

[Vic West] Dockside Green | Condos; offices; commercial

Condo Commercial Office

• Please log in to reply
1693 replies to this topic

#1181 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 05:49 PM

So when is this project going to be kick started with something meaningful? Who actually owns the site now and is responsible ultimately for developing the balance of the property? I lost track after the VanCity group dropped out about a century ago....

This project promised so much initially in terms of revitalizing a crappy, shoddy area of town that had been allowed to decay over a 30+ year period and which was badly in need of a remake; yet after the initial burst of construction along Tyee Road Dockside seems to have fallen on its face. What exactly is the holdup?

• Nparker and jonny like this

#1182 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 08:17 PM

Who actually owns the site now and is responsible ultimately for developing the balance of the property?

Bosa Development, the owners of the Empress.  This is not the Bosa that built Promontory and Encore.

You can register here for future updates:  http://docksidebybosa.com/

As a point of reference, when Bosa acquired Dockside from Vancity in October of 2017 the press announcement made mention of potentially starting construction of the first buildings in the Summer of 2018.

https://www.vancity....een-Oct10-2017/

So what happened?  I think the bubble burst in the condo pre-sales market.  Where for example is Bayview Place's Tower 4?

• AllseeingEye likes this

#1183 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 08:29 PM

Bosa Development, the owners of the Empress.  This is not the Bosa that built Promontory and Encore.

You can register here for future updates:  http://docksidebybosa.com/

As a point of reference, when Bosa acquired Dockside from Vancity in October of 2017 the press announcement made mention of potentially starting construction of the first buildings in the Summer of 2018.

https://www.vancity....een-Oct10-2017/

So what happened?  I think the bubble burst in the condo pre-sales market.  Where for example is Bayview Place's Tower 4?

Good stuff thanks Gary; and you're probably on the right track re: the condo pre-sales comment however as I recall as part of the original Dockside proposal wasn't there a hotel somewhere in the mix? And an office/commercial building at Harbour Rd and Esquimalt? It wasn't all condo's if I recall correctly. 

That said I wonder if Bosa is just going to sit on the land or perhaps try to find (yet another) firm to take on the project? I mean if they can't build it out during one the hottest periods of new construction in the city's history, makes you wonder when something concrete will actually happen. Hm.

#1184 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 08:39 PM

... I mean if they can't build it out during one the hottest periods of new construction in the city's history...

Ah, timing is everything...  They acquired it during one of the hottest periods of new construction in the city's history...  And then the "sold out in a single day" pre-sales bubble burst. 

I think they'll hold on to it and eventually develop it - once all the new condo inventory gets absorbed.   These guys are big developers, especially in San Diego.

SavinaSkyline_bybosa.jpg

Edited by Gary H, 05 July 2019 - 08:44 PM.

#1185 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 09:21 PM

Only now it has to be 20% below market rentals

#1186 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 09:52 AM

Only now it has to be 20% below market rentals

That might not apply to Dockside Green, given the fact that there is an overall development agreement for the entire site in place (and affordable rentals are accounted for in separate buildings on the site).

#1187 Jared

Jared
  • 80 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 11:39 AM

My neighbour heard that the current construction will be the office for managing development of the towers to the south. So things should be picking up pretty soon! They're preparing to lay a concrete foundation for the office:

k42hNTV.jpg

#1188 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 11:41 AM

Word on the street is there are likely to be rentals and condos in the mix of upcoming towers.

It's sort of odd that they're building the office so far away from where they intend to build, though. I've never seen a construction office so far removed from the site. Maybe the intent is to start closest to the bridge? Unless that's supposed to be the new sales centre/info centre?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1189 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 08:47 PM

Word on the street is there are likely to be rentals and condos in the mix of upcoming towers.

It's sort of odd that they're building the office so far away from where they intend to build, though. I've never seen a construction office so far removed from the site. Maybe the intent is to start closest to the bridge? Unless that's supposed to be the new sales centre/info centre?

Any (new) renderings available of those buildings provided by Bosa?

#1190 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 08:50 PM

Woah, are we actually getting some movement here?
  • DavidSchell likes this

#1191 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 06:58 AM

Any (new) renderings available of those buildings provided by Bosa?

I think that the image posted here could be a new rendering, though it doesn't show full building height:

https://thinkbosa.co.../docksidegreen/

#1192 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 08:21 AM

^That image has been on the website for a very long time.

#1193 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 04:33 PM

/\ .............Yep an oldie but goodie for sure; frankly given the stuttering start-stop-start? progression of this development I have a nagging suspicion we'll be fortunate indeed if the final build out actually winds up looking half as good as the original "promise". Hoping I'm way off base but the most recent 'shipping container' buildings along Harbour Rd honestly don't inspire in me a lot of confidence.

• Nparker likes this

#1194 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 10:25 AM

67211578_494767767962763_239611647438199

#1195 songheesguy

songheesguy
  • 144 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 07:34 PM

67211578_494767767962763_239611647438199

So this is the sales center? I wonder where they will first break ground for next phase, closer to balance buildings or closer to the bridge

#1196 songheesguy

songheesguy
  • 144 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 07:36 PM

Funny enough that Aquarra has their sales center right behind it

#1197 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 18 July 2019 - 07:37 AM

So this is the sales center? I wonder where they will first break ground for next phase, closer to balance buildings or closer to the bridge

The open data portal confirms that there is a BP issued for a new sales centre

• Mike K. and songheesguy like this

#1198 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 01:23 PM

There has been some activity on the larger area as well.

There are some red grid lines painted on the Tyee fence. 

This afternoon there was a group of 5 or 6 people with visibility vests walking the site, mostly just to the north of the trailer. It had the sense of a site preparation crew. They didn't go onto the Merridale portion of the site.

#1199 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 18 July 2019 - 02:46 PM

Thank you for the photo, Brantastic, and for the info, everyone.

This is major news for the beleaguered project and no doubt a welcome sight for nearby residents.

Construction of Dockside Green presentation centre hints at revival of stalled 15-acre mega-project

https://victoria.cit...e-mega-project/

• songheesguy and Brantastic like this
Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1200 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 03:19 PM

This is the undeveloped portion of the property as of yesterday.  Let's see if two years from now it looks any different.  You can click through to flickr for the full sized 8341 x 3524 pano.

48333309982_8ac1eb30fe_k.jpg

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users