BUILT
Dockside Green, tower 1
Use: condo
Address: 369 Tyee Road
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 13
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, 3BR, penthouse, 1BR + den, 2BR + den)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
Dockside Green, tower 1 is a 12-storey condominium tower situated along the 300-block of Tyee Road within the ... (view full profile)
Learn more about Dockside Green, tower 1 on Citified.ca
Photo

[Vic West] Dockside Green | Condos; offices; commercial

Condo Commercial Office

• Please log in to reply
1697 replies to this topic

#1041 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 12:54 PM

I'm presenting my theory as to why...

Something that no VV member would ever tolerate.

• Nparker and RoadRunner like this

#1042 rambaldi

rambaldi
  • 182 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 03:28 PM

The Madrona today...

IMG_5200.JPG

IMG_5198.JPG

IMG_5197.JPG

IMG_5195.JPG

IMG_5201.JPG

IMG_5189.JPG

IMG_5184.JPG

Attached Images

• IMG_5205.JPG
  • IMG_5206.JPG

• RoadRunner likes this

#1043 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 03:39 PM

Is it best to let the paper weather first, before covering it?

post-2021-0-20312500-1496013875.jpg

• Nparker and todd like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1044 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 03:58 PM

Is it best to let the paper weather first, before covering it?

It's being acclimatized.

#1045 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 05:33 PM

Oy....that is well and truly an underwhelming design: looks more like an office building you'd find in a typical contemporary business park than a residential structure. Its as if the imagination of the architect's just went *POOF* and they fell back on, of all possible designs unfortunately, this.....

• Nparker and kafkaesque like this

#1046 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 05:40 PM

....that is well and truly an underwhelming design...

It met all the necessary criteria to get approval from Council: it's not a "rich person's" condo, it's short and doesn't block Pam's view of the Sooke Hills.

#1047 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 06:17 PM

/\......sadly it looks like a glorified shipping container on steroids (with some undersized windows thrown in for good measure). 

• Nparker likes this

#1048 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 05:24 AM

Dockside is also barred from allowing short term residences, ie transient zoning, ie vacation rentals, following a motion last year by council.

I've noted that the issue of transient zoning and AirBnB has all but died down since it made the news multiple times last fall.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1049 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 06:23 AM

I've noted that the issue of transient zoning and AirBnB has all but died down since it made the news multiple times last fall.

So has the parking spots issue I guess it's all better now too.

#1050 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 06:39 AM

No, parking remains a major problem in the downtown core. We're still moving forward on plans for a second park and ride and this month the CoV raised parkade parking rates in an effort to curb parkade usage.

After it was revealed Helps operates an AirBnB out of her home that issue lost legs, and perhaps she deflected by trying to push through the foreign buyers tax (which failed). That was the optics of it all, anyhow.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1051 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 07:29 AM

....sadly it looks like a glorified shipping container on steroids...

It's like Blanshard Court (aka Evergreen Terrace) redux for the 21st century.  :whyme:

#1052 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 10:20 AM

Point Hope Shipyard is planning a major expansion.  I think this is an exciting development for our local economy, but I hope that it doesn't have a negative impact on subsequent development at Dockside Green.

See http://www.timescolo...dock-1.20321746

• jonny likes this

#1053 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 11:09 AM

Point Hope Shipyard is planning a major expansion.  I think this is an exciting development for our local economy, but I hope that it doesn't have a negative impact on subsequent development at Dockside Green.

See http://www.timescolo...dock-1.20321746

I'm a huge fan of Point Hope but my initial impression is this is not a good fit for the Harbour. If he wants it here he is going to have to hire a better designer to make it tighter....

a1-0601-aerial-clr-jpg.jpg

#1054 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 11:14 AM

Is it possible that it's so far into the water because the water is deeper there and would not require blasting out of rock?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1055 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 12:45 PM

Oh yeah, maybe that's what that's about.

Know it all.

#1056 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 June 2017 - 04:25 PM

I agree that the render makes the project look precipitously large, but I'd prefer to see a render that showed the existing land and foreshore use, with the proposal added to that ... clearly delineating between the two.

A quick look at Google Maps seems to indicate that the existing property is already just about as large as the render for the proposal ... it's just that the render looks bigger because the layout seems more spacious and planned.

As well, and even though it's just a render ... you'd think they could demonstrate a bit more creativity in the landscaping. Despite being an industrial undertaking, a few dozen more trees certainly wouldn't take anything away from the project, or their available work space.

Edited by Cassidy, 01 June 2017 - 04:29 PM.

#1057 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 01 June 2017 - 06:35 PM

Good for the economy, but it would put me off buying in Dockside far more so than before. Maybe that adjacent land is not ideal for those new condos, and could be supporting or related shipyard activities. We have tons of city lots where we can put condos, doesn't have to be here.. although the purchase and investment was based on that use.

#1058 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 June 2017 - 08:13 PM

Believe it or not, there are plenty of folks who aren't seeking the deathly quiet of a dead harbour.

Personally, looking out over an active, modern, clean shipyard ... a stunning harbour ... and on over to what is quite a beautiful downtown skyline ... I'd insist on a condo that faced East, and would love to live there.

Not every condo development has to look out over other condo developments, parking lots, and single family dwellings.

Conceptually, this Dockside development would be greatly enhanced by an updated, clean shipyard on what is currently an active ... but ramshackle shoreline with a mish-mash of old buildings on it.

• Nparker, 2F2R and Jared like this

#1059 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 08:18 PM

Lots of people live next to the Esquimalt drydock and have for decades...

#1060 2F2R

2F2R
  • 675 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 08:18 PM

In Victoria, in most cases, not all ... it's always to big. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users