BUILT
Dockside Green, tower 1
Use: condo
Address: 369 Tyee Road
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 13
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, 3BR, penthouse, 1BR + den, 2BR + den)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
Dockside Green, tower 1 is a 12-storey condominium tower situated along the 300-block of Tyee Road within the ... (view full profile)
Learn more about Dockside Green, tower 1 on Citified.ca
Photo

[Vic West] Dockside Green | Condos; offices; commercial

Condo Commercial Office

• Please log in to reply
1693 replies to this topic

#121 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 07:48 AM

Dockside Green's heating project draws applause
Proponents hail plant as wave of the future

Carolyn Heiman, Times Colonist
Published: Saturday, March 31, 2007

Building a heating plant in a residential neighbourhood near downtown doesn't typically get applause.

But a group of suits and green enthusiasts loudly put their hands together yesterday for the official announcement of a utility service being built smack along Victoria's Upper Harbour on Tyee Road.

[...]

#122 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 10:17 AM

Also covered today by the [url=http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20070330.BCGREENBIOMASS30/TPStory/TPNational/BritishColumbia/:f2221]Globe[/url:f2221].
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#123 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 04:15 PM

A webcam is now available on Dockside Green's website at http://www.docksideg...reen/webcam.php

The quality isn't very good but I think it's just a matter of them fine-tuning it. I like the idea of webcams at project sites :tup:

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#124 renthefinn

renthefinn
  • 571 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 11:23 PM

Well the webcam would probably be a little better if they had more density. Then they could afford a real camera!

#125 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 06:42 AM

So Phase one is almost completely topped out. Wonder when we will see a release of Phase 3?

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#126 Photogirl

Photogirl
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 11:49 AM

^ They still have yet to release the second building in Balance (Phase 2.)

#127 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 06:16 AM

Here's an aerial rendering of the development from http://www.docksidegreen.com/

#128 hungryryno

hungryryno
  • 79 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 10:11 AM

Does anyone know what will be built in front of the two office low-rises (at the southside of the Bay Street Bridge)??? The aerial shot shows another mid-rise, but I can't quite tell.

#129 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 12:36 PM

10 floor residential. If you hunt through the photo gallery on the Dockside Green website you can see renderings of it.

#130 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,401 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 08:08 PM

I'd sure love to see some of the waterfront now occupied by various industrial businesses (Point Hope etc.) turned into some sort of public market a la Granville Island. Not the whole site mind you, but interspersed amongst the water-based industry... some retail, library annex maybe, a theatre etc. This would tie in Dockside Green (a project aimed toward the future) with the city's past along this strip of the waterfront. Just a random thought

#131 hungryryno

hungryryno
  • 79 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 08:36 AM

When do you think the City of Vic will realize the Bay Street Bridge needs to be twinned?

#132 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 08:38 AM

It doesn't have to be twinned but something might have to be done about the traffic light at Bay and Tyee. I believe there is also a plan to widen the right turn lane onto Tyee from the bridge.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#133 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 09:35 AM

There are designated areas on either side of the bridge for widening it. Would a one lane extension do or would it be best to double its width?

If the streetcar proposal ever goes through then I would imagine it would have to be a two lane addition.

Once Railyards and Dockside are built out there is going to be quite the population base in that area so traffic will continue to worsen unless significant public transit is put in.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#134 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 10:06 AM

There was a traffic planning session held in 2005 on Vic West's transportation plan. Widening the bridge was not even an option apart from extending the right-turn lane onto Tyee. Traffic studies showed that the only reason for congestion was the traffic light at Tyee/Bay and widening the bridge wouldn't offset its effects.

City planners are hesitant to improve flow into Vic West because it would increase capacity for commuters finding shortcuts to get to Colwood and Langford.

Know it all.

#135 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 10:07 AM

If we route a streetcar over it, let's make sure it's [url=http://mypage.direct.ca/r/robinl/awfulplunge.html:821a6]strong enough[/url:821a6] this time.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#136 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 10:28 PM

If they banned left turns onto Tyee that would help too.
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

#137 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 10:31 PM

The left turns are really piling up now at the second light after you get off the bridge.

#138 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 10:34 PM

Wilson Rd between Tyee and Bay is a nightmare on the weekends and for about an hour each day. Traffic getting out of Westside Village compounds the problem even more.

Know it all.

#139 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 07:15 AM

I'd sure love to see some of the waterfront now occupied by various industrial businesses (Point Hope etc.) turned into some sort of public market a la Granville Island. Not the whole site mind you, but interspersed amongst the water-based industry... some retail, library annex maybe, a theatre etc. This would tie in Dockside Green (a project aimed toward the future) with the city's past along this strip of the waterfront. Just a random thought

Thought of your posting when I saw the photo of the RivTow Captn. Bob up on the shore at the shipyard.. Point Hope Maritime is working to reestablish the Point Hope shipyard as a foremeost ship repair facility on the coast...

Unlike many people who want to make their money out of replacing the working harbour in Victoria with condos, Ian Maxwell has been investing in the future of the Upper Harbour as a working harbour...

If one goes through their website..

http://www.pointhope...ws/130thann.htm

you can see their plan.. which includes some of the ideas that you have mentioned above..

However, in contrast to your musing... "I'd sure love to see some of the waterfront now occupied by various industrial businesses (Point Hope etc.) turned into some sort of public market a la Granville Island. "

It's Point Hope (in concert with Dockside Green) which is the "engine" that is trying to accomplish this..

http://www.pointhope... ... 202005.pdf

#140 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,401 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 05:59 PM

It was never my intention to suggest that Point Hope vacate this area. In fact, this is one business that I would like to see remain and be revitalized. It sounds as though Point Hope already has this idea in mind. I love the idea of a working harbour and a vibrant residential area co-existing harmoniously. Perhaps this is one wish I WILL see come true.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users