CANCELLED
Victoria Plaza Hotel
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 603 Pandora Avenue
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 6
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR, 2BR)
Sales status: in planning
A proposal to redevelop the Victoria Plaza Hotel in downtown Victoria is envisioned a six-storey new-build win... (view full profile)
Learn more about Victoria Plaza Hotel on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Victoria Plaza Hotel (aka Monty's) Redevelopment | Condos | Cancelled in 2019

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
847 replies to this topic

#21 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 09:36 AM

Wow.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#22 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 10:17 AM

Yeah, Darren, you should have mentioned the name of the site ;)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#23 m0nkyman

m0nkyman
  • 729 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 10:24 AM

The Jungle Room, which has had previous lives as Bar Victoria, Julie's Pub and The Joint, often draws noise complaints after closing from the growing condo ownership nearby.

OK. This bit annoys me. If you move downtown, there will be noise from nightclubs. Get over it, or move back to the suburbs. :evil:

#24 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 02:49 PM

MM..

I missed a "Currents" on CBC review of condo's and clubs in other places across Canada late last week ..

Did anyone catch it?

PS.. Hugo's used to have a note at the door asking departing late night patrons to respect the other part of the bar's clientelle, the guests at the Mangolia..

Would you suggest that the guests of the Mangolia should stay in the quiet of the suburbs.. ?

#25 m0nkyman

m0nkyman
  • 729 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 03:35 PM

I've fought this war once already, and the Byward Market ended up having looser noise regulations than the rest of downtown Ottawa....

#26 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 09:02 AM

If you don't want to stay in a hotel in a downtown with downtown noise than yes go stay at a B&B in Cordova Bay or Oak Bay.

Downtown is the hub of a city and people despite the authorities can try and have fun there, if you don't the noise go away.

As an urban dweller myself I get used to the noise that you don't get in a suburban environment and you know what sometimes it is annoying but most of the time I like it, and the proximity of everything more than makes up for it.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#27 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 10:30 AM

It's very interesting how little distance it takes to get away from the "noise" or urban sounds..

Just walk 1 block off Cook in the Cook St Village and it's enough most of the times... bit more effective if you go towards the Linden St side than the Vancouver St side...

Speaking of potentially intrusive noise... That apt. in The Wave that is so close to the HVAC unit on the office reno next door smmes occupied... When I walked along View the other day there was BBQ on the balcony... Wonder if the HVAC unoir will be relocated before they occupy the offices..??

#28 glenalan54

glenalan54
  • 97 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 07:07 PM

Greetings all,

My interest is the historic significance of this hotel. In 1911 it opened as the Westholme Hotel (located on Government Street.) In 1966 the hotel expanded in anticipation of reopening in November of that year as the Century Inn. The beer parlour opened in 1954 on Government Street renamed the Centurian, where Monty's Showroom Pub is located today.
The owners of the hotel were given the green light at city hall to modify the road out front of the hotel to allow access off of Pandora - their new main enterance.
The Century had a three-day opening gala and had an arabian theme, "let our magic genies part your car for you" as you drive under a tent. Many Victorians recall the Ali Baba Room.
I'm writing an article on the history of this hotel during it's Century era, "Arabian Chic: A history of the Century Hotel."

In 1984 Monty's Pub (without the strippers) opened to great anticipation and fanfare. The owners spent several thousands of dollars to give the hotel a new life and to attract thirsty customers. But they over-extended themselves and for various reasons the hotel found it could not pay its employees and in 1988 it went bankrupted.

The Victoria Plaza Hotel is a jewel as far as prime real estate property goes (what isn't now-a-days) so I'm not suprised to learn that the hotel has changed hands.
Having an idea of the history of the hotel through its many phases, I would dearly like to see something other than a so-called 'botique hotel', that may look pretty but in the end is pretty dull. The citizens of Victoria could enjoy an establishment similar to what the Strathcona Hotel has managed to do throughout the years and have varies bars and restaurants on this site that caters to a variety of people. But I'm afraid that City Hall and most (not all) developers are short-sighted and would never build nor approve of an exciting hotel complex that Seattle or Vancouver may embrace.

#29 m0nkyman

m0nkyman
  • 729 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 07:47 PM

I would dearly like to see something other than a so-called 'botique hotel', that may look pretty but in the end is pretty dull. The citizens of Victoria could enjoy an establishment similar to what the Strathcona Hotel has managed to do throughout the years and have varies bars and restaurants on this site that caters to a variety of people. But I'm afraid that City Hall and most (not all) developers are short-sighted and would never build nor approve of an exciting hotel complex that Seattle or Vancouver may embrace.

Pitch the idea to the new owners. You never know. Or put in a bid to buy it yourself and make it happen.

It ain't up to city hall to dictate what kind of business will open, just to restrict ,in a reasonable way, what can't go there.

#30 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 11:38 AM

The beer parlour opened in 1954 on Government Street renamed the Centurian, where Monty's Showroom Pub is located today. The owners of the hotel were given the green light at city hall to modify the road out front of the hotel to allow access off of Pandora - their new main enterance.

This property and that entire part of town (a.k.a. Centennial Square) needs to be cleansed of the awkward suburban esthetic that was introduced during that period. It needs to be re-downtownified. As it stands right now, it's as if downtown breaks down at Pandora (from Government to Douglas).

#31 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 11:21 PM

Thanks for the history glenalan54, that was good reading.
:)
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#32 BlasterVic

BlasterVic
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 10:56 PM

Heh, new to the board and this thread is WAY old ... but searching google, found the thread and wanted to reply.

Guess the rumor wasn't really true :(

A month ago I bought a funky awesome condo two doors down from Monty's, above Decade. Place is great and love being so close to the downtown action.

The noise doesn't bother me but I must say Monty's and the plaza hotel certainly is a hangout for the worst of the city. In a month I've seen the swat team in action, arson, prostitution, crack adicts, and much more.

I still feel safe where I am and put up with it but that corner of Pandora and Government is one of Victoria's primo slum area's still. Nothing against strip clubs or bars in general but that building collects the worst of the worst IMO.

#33 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 11:12 PM

In a month I've seen the swat team in action, arson, prostitution, crack adicts, and much more.

You've outlined the positives, but anything negative?

#34 BlasterVic

BlasterVic
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 11:17 PM

You've outlined the positives, but anything negative?

Mmmmm... negative, eh? I will say that the area does draw some cute women I"ve seen, and that really....really sucks!!

#35 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 11:17 PM

heh, I suppose ol' Jim Rockford's just trying to keep himself in business

#36 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 10:03 AM

Did Pam Anderson ever do a stint at Monty's?

#37 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 03:53 PM

Mmmmm... negative, eh? I will say that the area does draw some cute women I"ve seen, and that really....really sucks!!

Poor guy. We feel for you. We really do.
:P
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#38 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:59 PM

Did Pam Anderson ever do a stint at Monty's?

No, but Matt LeBlanc did.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#39 glenalan54

glenalan54
  • 97 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 11:13 AM

1985:

Kings Hotel
Sherwood
Monty's
Oly's
Red Fox
Westwind

2007:

Red Fox

Kings Hotel: Opened in 1946 after E.H. King purchased it. Had been various businesses before that, the most interesting to me being the Northern Hotel which obtained its liquor license after the Albion Saloon closed (corner of Waddington Alley & Yates). Became Steamers in 1990. Now closed and quite boring.

The Sherwood: What a hoot, drive underground and park by the pub. Popular place eventually became Fat Tuesdays with live blues jam. Cheap beer. Recent history briefly became known as the "123 Pub" which happens to be the address on Gorge. For the past few years named Hecklers. Which have found a formula attracting a younger crowd. AS few days after opening the owner (lessee) told me he wanted to get rid of the "Fat Tuesday" crowd. I found that strange and objectionable.

Monty's: The old Westholme beer parlour then Century Inn, Buckin' Bronk and then Monty's Pub Extrodinaire before the strippers came. See: http://raincoasthist...entury-inn.html

Oly's in the Royal Olympic Hotel: A Violent place in the 1970's. A lot of fights just like the Colony pub. Oly's was two distinctly different looking beer parlours in the 1950's-1960's which separated the sexes due to the strange laws practiced then. Both quite attractive when they opened in 1954.

The Red Fox. Okay trivia time...what was the Red Fox called in the 1960's and early 1970's? It was known as the "Block and Tackle Room." It was decorated with fishing floats, nets and all things related to fishing. Red terry-cloth towels and cheap beer in a rather nice surroundings. Then the strippers came and the price of beer eventually became ridiculously overpriced.

The Westwind: I miss that place. It had a fairly big beer parlour back in the days when Colwood-Langford was a small town. There were various cabarets that popped up over the years as well as a cocktail lounge. It eventually was bulldozed and the Station Pub located southwest of the Westwind became the centre of attraction for thirsty patrons.

#40 larrobb

larrobb
  • 120 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 02:39 PM

The brass pole from the Westwind peeler stage is enshrined in the back of "The Love Den", which is right beside the Station House. A visit to the Museum, Langford style.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users