CANCELLED
Victoria Plaza Hotel
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 603 Pandora Avenue
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 6
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR, 2BR)
Sales status: in planning
A proposal to redevelop the Victoria Plaza Hotel in downtown Victoria is envisioned a six-storey new-build win... (view full profile)
Learn more about Victoria Plaza Hotel on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Victoria Plaza Hotel (aka Monty's) Redevelopment | Condos | Cancelled in 2019

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
847 replies to this topic

#81 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 03:16 PM

Ya, I can't see their plan proceeding at this location.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#82 Ian Sutherland

Ian Sutherland
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 05:56 PM

Here are the latest renderings for the Plaza project which have been recently submitted to the City for rezoning. The proposal involves the conversion of the hotel to market condominiums with some additional rental units. The ground floor will be converted to commercial retail/restaurant uses with a public plaza proposed at the Pandora frontage utilizing property currently used as a vehicle pullout. The existing 4 storey heritage building will be rehabilitated and a 2 storey addition set back from the Government Street façade is proposed. The existing 60’s vintage one storey addition on Pandora Street will be removed and a new 6 storey addition constructed with the upper 2 floors set back from the façade. Underground parking will be created within the existing basement.
Images courtesy Eric Barker Architect

Ian Sutherland-Chair DRA Land Use Committee

#83 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 06:21 PM

It appears as though the lane at the back will be filled in.

#84 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:11 PM

Can't see the city going for a back lane being filled in, but then again the lane doesn't go through the block.

#85 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:22 PM

Sold

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#86 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:42 PM

I hope that pandora side facade isn't Hardey panels. Would be pretty cool in concrete.

#87 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 09:06 AM

Agree the materials will make all the difference. That said some metal panels may break up the colour scheme a bit along that stretch.

It has a whole new look!

#88 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 09:54 AM

Changing that corner will be HUGE for downtown.

#89 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 11:16 AM

Agree this will finally move people from lower government to chinatown without a real break in the feel of the street.

It has a whole new look!

#90 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 11:23 AM

I feel bad for cabin 12 but this project looks good and I really hope it moves forward. This block is a blight, the hotel is a constant source of misery and police work and the strip club won't be missed.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#91 zinkerled

zinkerled
  • 138 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 01:07 PM

Can't see the city going for a back lane being filled in, but then again the lane doesn't go through the block.

The lane won't be filled in, just covered over. It will also provide access for the underground parking. That lane is owned in parts by the three buildings in front of it on Government st., each owning the section directly behind it. Each building has an easement on the sections leading to its own section. I believe all the owners of those buildings support this project and will be happy to have a gate installed at the alley entrance.

#92 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 01:36 PM

^ Thanks for pointing that out. I just did a walk by and was concerned about the access to the other buildings.

It has a whole new look!

#93 Ian Sutherland

Ian Sutherland
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 10:43 AM

I hope that pandora side facade isn't Hardey panels. Would be pretty cool in concrete.

The exterior finish proposed for the Pandora side is precast concrete cladding panels similar to those on the Standard Life Assurance Building (on Douglas across Fisgard from the Hudson)
Ian Sutherland-Chair DRA Land Use Committee

#94 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 01:23 PM

^Nice!

#95 zinkerled

zinkerled
  • 138 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:30 AM

Does anyone have any updates on the status of this project?

#96 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:45 AM

You should probably call League and ask them.

#97 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:50 PM

Police say staff member sold them cocaine during undercover operation at Monty's

Mar. 14, 2012

Monty's Exotic Showroom Pub downtown has been fined and suspended from operating following an extensive undercover operation...

http://cfax1070.com/...news&Itemid=155

http://vicpdthebeat.com/?p=3768
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#98 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,114 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:03 PM

^ They are taking all of the fun out of going downtown. Sex, Drugs, and Alcohol were the three major food groups when I was growing up.

Where can guys go now to let off a little steam?

Steamers?

#99 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:09 PM

In addition exotic dancers were touching patrons inappropriately, undressing patrons and simulating acts of violence.

:confused:

http://vicpdthebeat.com/?p=3768

While crime in general is on a decrease in Canada, miscreants are turning to simulated acts of violence (on undressed patrons), which have shown a sharp upswing. Better increase the police budget. If feel sorry for those that entered the bar, thinking it was more of a family-oriented place, only to find themselves being undressed by naked ladies.

#100 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,114 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:00 PM

I'll bet the undercover guys loved that assignment. Geezus, they came from all over the place to help out.

Do you think VicPD paid travel and living out allowance? Is that why the budget is shot all to hell?

Can someone with some time on their hands do a FOI on that for us?

How much did this BS cost us taxpayers?

"Undercover operators from Victoria, Delta, Abbotsford and Vancouver police departments as well as members of the Military Police, posing as patrons witnessed several Liquor Act violations and incidents of cocaine trafficking."

This from VHF's police blotter link.

Excuse me? Was this a freaking stampede?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users