CANCELLED
Victoria Plaza Hotel
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 603 Pandora Avenue
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 6
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR, 2BR)
Sales status: in planning
A proposal to redevelop the Victoria Plaza Hotel in downtown Victoria is envisioned a six-storey new-build win... (view full profile)
Learn more about Victoria Plaza Hotel on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Victoria Plaza Hotel (aka Monty's) Redevelopment | Condos | Cancelled in 2019

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
847 replies to this topic

#101 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:16 PM

It took all these undercover "operators" NINE MONTHS to find liquor infractions and cocaine trafficking at Monty's???

Maybe the word "operator" needs a definition here.....

#102 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:29 PM

Holy Moly....They must have pissed a fortune away on collecting this $4,000 fine.

Again from the police blog.

"Since June of last year officers from our Street Crime Unit have been leading an extensive undercover project."

Operation "Fowl Play"

I'll say.

#103 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:26 PM

This just in! men found drinking too much alcohol and snorting cocaine in the bathroom while watching women undress in a strip club down town! The needed a full on sting operation to figure that out???

#104 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:38 PM

This just in! men found drinking too much alcohol and snorting cocaine in the bathroom while watching women undress in a strip club down town! The needed a full on sting operation to figure that out???

That's how lame this whole thing is. I'm not sure how any of the activities listed were of serious harm to the general public. There was nobody under-age, there was no selling of crack or heroine to seriously addicted users, a waitress that had a shooter or two with customers is probably not the end of the world. Someone walking out with a $6 drink, shouldn't that be a more serious offence for the person that does it than the bar? I'm sure nobody is sneaking out $6 drinks to sell individually to underagers. And is that more serious than someone that drives up to the bar finishing off a $15 six-pack? And customers being undressed, who the heck was complaining?
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#105 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:26 PM

^ Absolutely VHF, I don't understand the logic.

The big penalty here is to the owner of the facility. Was he aware of the actions of his employees? Apparently he/she should have been.

Was the owner of Island Outfitters aware of the activities of "Lucky" that stole a humongous amount of firearms? 159 to be exact.

Was Island Outfitters closed?

Why not?

http://www.ctvvancou...and-outfitters/

#106 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:01 AM

Milne has filed a rezoning application to the city and hopes to have a public hearing within eight weeks. Once GMC Projects takes possession, he expects the hotel will continue to operate until the application is approved by city council.

The scope of the project has not changed significantly since the first announcement. The proposed $14-million development would add two storeys to the four-storey building.

"We're trying to keep the character of the area, but make the new portion of the building modern-looking," Milne said. "It's not currently a very nice-looking building from a heritage perspective … But from the historic pictures, it was (at one point). We're planning to return it to its former glory."

The development proposal includes 30 units of below-market rate rental housing.

http://www.bclocalne.../143271296.html

#107 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:24 AM

GMC doesn't own this place yet, their offer is subject to rezoning or whatever is involved in getting the new plans passed.

I don't think the new ownership is anywhere close to a done deal.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#108 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:58 AM

So it is GMC Projects, not LEAGUE, correct?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#109 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:10 PM

^ Absolutely VHF, I don't understand the logic.

The big penalty here is to the owner of the facility. Was he aware of the actions of his employees? Apparently he/she should have been.

Was the owner of Island Outfitters aware of the activities of "Lucky" that stole a humongous amount of firearms? 159 to be exact.

Was Island Outfitters closed?

Why not?

http://www.ctvvancou...and-outfitters/

So the perp was charged today of selling the firearms that he stole from his employer and the redistributed.

Why would the province penalize the proprietor who's employees conducted themselves improperly at Monty's,.......and not penalize the proprietor of an employee that was responsible for the control of deadly weapons.

http://www.timescolo...2277/story.html

#110 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:47 PM

I would bet that it is something to do with the law...

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#111 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:30 PM

^ :)

#112 glenalan54

glenalan54
  • 97 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:15 AM

"The hotel will be carefully restored to its historical past, and a new structure built and attached to it."

What does that mean? It's <I>historic past</I> as the Century Inn (1965); or as the Westholme Hotel (1911); or as the Prince Hotel (1908) or a mix of both?
The new structure to be built beside it is a condo tower?

I agree a change is long overdue as the hotel and its' notorious pub, Monty's continues to deteriorate and make the news for all the wrong reasons.

Too bad the old Westholme section (southern section of the Victoria Plaza) couldn't be salvaged and renovated.

#113 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:42 AM

^Good point, Glen. I fondly recall the giant neon "Century Inn" sign facing Pandora. I think the further back in time they aim for in restoration the more they have to recreate as opposed to restore.

It will be interesting to see what they come up with for the wasteland on the Pandora side.

#114 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:14 AM

Is this anywhere near happening though? When does it come to council?

#115 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:55 AM

Here are the latest renderings for the Plaza project which have been recently submitted to the City for rezoning. The proposal involves the conversion of the hotel to market condominiums with some additional rental units. The ground floor will be converted to commercial retail/restaurant uses with a public plaza proposed at the Pandora frontage utilizing property currently used as a vehicle pullout. The existing 4 storey heritage building will be rehabilitated and a 2 storey addition set back from the Government Street façade is proposed. The existing 60’s vintage one storey addition on Pandora Street will be removed and a new 6 storey addition constructed with the upper 2 floors set back from the façade. Underground parking will be created within the existing basement.
Images courtesy Eric Barker Architect

Bump

There are no condo towers planned.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#116 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:46 PM

So it is GMC Projects, not LEAGUE, correct?

League is raising money to development the property!

Engineered for growth, the IGW Diversified Redevelopment Fund focuses on redevelopment projects where LEAGUE can drive more value for our Member Partners. One of the properties that will be in the fund is The Plaza Hotel, located in Victoria, BC. We recorded this short video there this week describing the opportunity at that building and the fund overall, so please view the video and if you have any questions, we would be pleased to answer them on the conference call. On the call will be David Fullbrook who is our Managing Director championing these developments and Brad Simpson, our Chief Investment Officer.

#117 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:24 PM

Ah, thanks for the clarification.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#118 1st Hand Knowledge

1st Hand Knowledge
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:47 AM

Raising money?where are the RE-Zoning application signs??What happened to the January closure date everyone was so sure of?
I could also draw a "rendering"of what is to be proposed on this site.
Have a look at the "current" re-zoning applications to the city,I see "0" in regards to this project.
all is willy-nilly hear-say as far as I am concerned.
And by the way,There have been no arrests or charges laid in regards to the infractions that have occured at Monty's during this investigation.
I did my research...............
check for yourselves...........

#119 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:19 AM

Hmmmmm, well, welcome to the forum, 1st. Sounds like you may have more inside information than the rest of us are privy to. Alas, it also sounds a bit like you might have an axe to grind or a vested interest.

So don't be a one-trick (or one-post) pony, give us some goods!

#120 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:28 AM

It needs a more prominent corner treatment. A rounded corner perhaps, or even a distinctive corner entrance. It doesn't have to be something dramatic like a spire. Having arched tops on the two topmost windows closest to the corner would add enough variation to the facade. And I'm almost afraid to ask what the square exterior panels are made of.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users