APPROVED
Roundhouse Marketplace
Use: commercial
Address: Esquimalt Road at Sitkum Road
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 1
Roundhouse Marketplace is the first phase of Bayview Place's Roundhouse neighbourhood. Comprised of commercial... (view full profile)
Learn more about Roundhouse Marketplace on Citified.ca
Photo

[Vic West] Roundhouse at Bayview Place | Condos; rentals; hotel; commercial | 2008 plan approved | 2020 plan proposed

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
1035 replies to this topic

#261 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:49 PM

Not all that many people walk to a grocery store.  Yes, yes, I know some do, but you need a much bigger radius than your immediate neighbours.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#262 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:03 PM

People walking?

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#263 rambaldi

rambaldi
  • 182 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 06:31 AM

There are less than 100 parking stalls there.  What am I missing?

There will eventually be shared underground parking in the Roundhouse Addition (5) and New Residential Tower.

"Temporary" parking will be made available in the adjoining lot.

Edited by rambaldi, 10 June 2014 - 06:34 AM.

#264 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 06:35 AM

There will eventually be shared underground parking in the Roundhouse Addition (5) and New Residential Tower.

"Temporary" parking will be made available in the adjoining lot.

Ah, OK, so it'll be like Tuscany Village.  j/k.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#265 rambaldi

rambaldi
  • 182 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 06:41 AM

The third residential tower isn't shown in the illustration.

#266 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 06:44 AM

That's right, only what is currently built is shown. The third Bayview tower is likely many years out and will follow Roundhouse towers.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#267 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 07:13 AM

Base rents starting at $30/sf + $12.50 triple net is very very expensive for the area.  I wish them the best of luck in getting tenants, but I doubt they will get many

#268 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 07:31 AM

That sounds about right. Westside Village, Dockside Green and the Upper Harbour's retail are on par. No doubt a near waterfront location in a brand new development would be a little pricier.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#269 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:03 AM

"Part of our vision is converting 6 or 7 old rail cars into sort of food trucks and we would love to hear back from the community about whether or not there is support for this."

That would be awesome!

#270 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:07 AM

Love the idea but 6-7 seems like a lot. With some good awnings in the winter a few of these could do well. I think the bigger concern is the amount of food traffic that will be here at the crucial lunch hour time for foodtrucks, particularly on weekdays. Would workers from Upper Harbour Place make the 10 minute walk? It's far enough and not overly accessible from downtown workers.Also, if they are in railcars it removes one of the competitive advantages for the foodtrucks - the ability to move somewhere else to serve other customers when business is slow.

That being said, I would love this idea to work! I can imagine having one railcar that doubles as a 'performance stage' for events in the roundhouse area.

Somewhat on topic, when I was in Christchurch a few years ago this container mall seemed to be doing quite well.

#271 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:29 AM

I doubt they will all be situated on the property from day one. They'll likely stagger the introduction of the trucks based on how the first ones perform. Remember Roundhouse realistically represents a 15-20 year build-out and planning has already been going on for the better part of a decade.

Know it all.

#272 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:24 AM

I think the rail car - food truck idea is excellent. Make it a destination! I seek out the street food hubs when I am in Portland. Have a well designed, heated patio so that you could eat there year round. I am very much in support of this. I'm always wishing there was somewhere I could walk my dog to pick up food and a beer.

#273 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:38 AM

That sounds about right. Westside Village, Dockside Green and the Upper Harbour's retail are on par. No doubt a near waterfront location in a brand new development would be a little pricier.

I have commercial property in the heart of the Oak Bay Village and I had trouble getting those rates when I had a vacancy

The old Blockbuster location at Westside Village has been for lease for approx 3 years and I think there are a few other long term vacancies as well.  The old TD Bank there has also been vacant for a year since they moved into another space in the mall which had also been vacant for a long time

Edited by concorde, 11 June 2014 - 07:40 AM.

#274 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:51 AM

You couldn't get those rates in sleepy ol' Oak Bay? ;)

Westside Village is a hive of activity. Other than those two spaces the shopping centre is fully spoken for. TD has literally tripled their space and and if the old Blockbuster space and the former bank space are all that's sitting empty then that's not that bad. The problem with the leasing there is its pricey and it will take the right kind of tenants to make the operation profitable.

I always thought Coast Capital should open where the former TD was. They have a corporate building across the street which gives people the impression that there's a bank there, but they don't even have a cash machine!

Know it all.

#275 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,600 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:45 AM

You couldn't get those rates in sleepy ol' Oak Bay? ;)

Westside Village is a hive of activity. Other than those two spaces the shopping centre is fully spoken for. TD has literally tripled their space and and if the old Blockbuster space and the former bank space are all that's sitting empty then that's not that bad. The problem with the leasing there is its pricey and it will take the right kind of tenants to make the operation profitable.

I always thought Coast Capital should open where the former TD was. They have a corporate building across the street which gives people the impression that there's a bank there, but they don't even have a cash machine!

Not to hijack this Mike but to your last point CCS like any multi-site organization is very strategic about where they position their locations, which are determined by among other variables where other locations are located relative to the one under consideration, local population/trends, market penetration (by them and by other competing financial institutions).

With a CCS outlet at Admirals Walk and another one at Tillicum, a West shore (mall) outlet would not be an effective use of capital resources nor likely a profitable choice. Believe me given those capital costs associated with purchasing or leasing a location, fitting it out physically and from a business systems standpoint and branding it, this is studied and scrutinized ad nauseum internally.

#276 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:50 AM

Oh yeah for sure, that's makes sense.

Know it all.

#277 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:55 PM

^^ ASE Do you mean West Shore or Westside Village?

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#278 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 04:53 PM

I think most people using that mall are going to Save on Foods.  Just like the Fort/Foul Bay Save On, the parking lot is full with people going grocery shopping

Oak Bay may be sleepy but there is buckets of cash.  Have you seen the soccer moms piled up at Octavio's at just past 9 after dropping their kids off?  They are all spending $10 each minimum, and its not a stop before going to work.

Anyway, I don't see Roundhouse as a destination place unless they can get a major anchor tenant which will bring people there.  Why do you think malls give Wal Mart, Safeway, etc pretty much free rent?

#279 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 04:59 PM

There's a heck of a busy Starbucks, the liquor store is buzzing, there are professional offices, a medical clinic, laboratory, and several popular eateries. I'm there everyday, it's a busy shopping centre.

As for roundhouse of course they'll get an anchor tenant, maybe several. This is a far more popular neighborhood than many want to believe.

Know it all.

#280 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:26 PM

An anchor tenant is 50,000+ sf, where is that going to go?

Overall the roundhouse area is not that great a neighbourhood and still full of warehouses.  Its an area in transition that is going to take 20 year to blossom

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users