APPROVED
Roundhouse Marketplace
Use: commercial
Address: Esquimalt Road at Sitkum Road
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 1
Roundhouse Marketplace is the first phase of Bayview Place's Roundhouse neighbourhood. Comprised of commercial... (view full profile)
Learn more about Roundhouse Marketplace on Citified.ca
Photo

[Vic West] Roundhouse at Bayview Place | Condos; rentals; hotel; commercial | 2008 plan approved | 2020 plan proposed

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
1035 replies to this topic

#301 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 04:11 AM

A peak at what is being worked on for this development. I think this is by DIALOG architects. Don't know how final this is though.

victoria-roundhouse-01.png

Found at - https://www.facebook...929626550398431

• dasmo, Mr Cook Street and lanforod like this

#302 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 01:58 PM

The Roundhouse from Promontory

Mike K requested some Roundhouse shots from Promontory.  A big thanks to BobKat for use of his 18th floor balcony.  I managed to grab these before the rain started again.  :)

One comment I'll make is that when this opens they'll have to do something about widening Sitkum Rd. between Esquimalt Rd. and Saghalie Rd. - it's barely enough for a single car.

16426543366_9313024fe7_h.jpg

15832466633_3f5e63ec51_h.jpg

16450793041_9e9c3b94c0_h.jpg

16266288299_49327bf9b1_h.jpg

15830015474_6ebd73cae9_h.jpg

• Nparker likes this

#303 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 02:08 PM

Thanks Gary!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#304 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 02:09 PM

Did you even need to ask BobKat?  Can't you get the concierge to let you in to any suite as you need?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#305 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 07:11 PM

As a huge train nerd I am appalled that there appears to be no railway museum/steam train operations component and quite disappointed that the turntable will not be restored to working order.

Worry not my dear train nerd.  The turntable will be restored.  :thumbsup:   And while there won't be a full blown museum, there will be many historic "interpretive" features and information panels.

Oh, and we just received written notice of the public hearing for the Roundhouse Development Permit Application 000356 and Heritage Revitalization Agreement 15-011, to be held in the Council Chamber on Thursday, June 11th at 7PM.  Once through the public hearing, there will be a third reading of the bylaw and then, all fingers crossed, adoption.  The new Roundhouse may still make its Summer 2016 debut.

From the Planning and Land Use Committee Report
For the
[Planning and Land Use Committee] meeting of October 16, 2014https://victoria.civ...ROUNDHOUSE_.pdf

Executive Summary
The purpose of this report is to present Council with information, analysis and recommendations
regarding an Official Community Plan {OCP) Amendment, Development Permit with Variance
Application and Heritage Alteration Permit Application at 251-259 Esquimalt Road, also known
as the Roundhouse Commercial Heritage Phase.

These Applications propose a number of components including:

• The rehabilitation of the Heritage-Designated Roundhouse, Back Shop, Boiler House, Car Shop, Stores Building and the Turntable
  • The construction of three new single-storey retail buildings
  • The siting of seven reconditioned boxcars for retail and interpretive purposes
  • A public plaza with the focal point being the rehabilitated Heritage-Designated Turntable
  • A comprehensive program of cultural interpretive features.

2.1.3 Public Plaza
The rehabilitated Turntable would be the focal point of a public plaza space framed by the
existing and proposed buildings. The north side of the Turntable would be designed to
accommodate seating, a stage area for performances and for public access to and across the
historic structure. The south side of the Turntable would remain open to reveal historic steam-
powered mechanical works of the Turntable. A map of the original E&N railway route on
Vancouver Island is proposed on the base of the Turntable as an interpretive feature, along with
interpretive panels. The Turntable would be rehabilitated to be operational but would be
maintained in a fixed position to align with the rail line.

2.1.6 Cultural Interpretive Features
The applicant is proposing a comprehensive interpretive program which includes:

• site banners
  • interpretive signage
  • interior theming in historic buildings
  • recreated and reconstructed historic structures
  • artifact displays
  • installation of concrete railway map
  • rehabilitated Turntable to occasionally display rolling stock.

4.1.5 Ongoing Railway Use
The Roundhouse Design Guidelines state that ongoing railway use will occur utilizing elements
for the E&N line and access to the Turntable and Roundhouse building. Since the Guidelines
were written and adopted, the Island rail service ceased to operate, however, it may operate
again in the future. The rail tracks will be maintained across the site and the Turntable will be
rehabilitated so that, if required, it can function to accommodate future rail use.

In light of the above, the Guidelines must be revised to reflect that railway use is not currently

ongoing, however, the development had been designed to accommodate future rail use.

Edited by Gary H, 04 June 2015 - 10:44 AM.

• tedward, dasmo, thundergun and 2 others like this

#306 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 June 2015 - 08:22 AM

Thanks Gary. I was wondering about this. No movement on the ground yet and summer of 2016 isn't that far away. Hoping they can make it.

#307 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 10:39 AM

This just in, the fire department has barred the Roundhouse building from holding public events until sprinklers and proper emergency exits are installed.

No more events for a while, I guess.

They must have resolved this as they had a big private party last night for local PGA sponsors related to this golf tournament:  Bayview Place Island Savings Open.

http://www.bpisopen.ca/

Edited by Gary H, 04 June 2015 - 10:40 AM.

#308 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 10:35 AM

Tonight's the Vote - After 8 Long Years...

Just a reminder that tonight is the historic Council Meeting to "authorize the development of the Commercial-Heritage Phase of the Roundhouse heritage site."  The meeting is at 7PM and should be live-streamed.  The Roundhouse applications are the first up on the agenda.

http://www.victoria....webcasting.html

From what I gathered at the Roundhouse tent at the street fest last weekend, assuming approval, one of the first things that will happen is site remediation.  This could take some time depending on how bad the contamination is and will require removing (and then replacing) much of the railroad track.  That "All Aboard Summer 2016" sign will have to be changed.  The good news though will be that things are finally going to get moving.  :thumbsup:

Edited by Gary H, 11 June 2015 - 10:36 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#309 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 09:56 PM

The concept for the heritage commercial component has been approved by council.

So it looks like we'll be seeing seven food 'railway cars' soon.

• Bingo likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#310 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 10:40 PM

Roundhouse Marketplace receives approval

By Mike Kozakowski, Citified.ca

http://victoria.citi...eives-approval/

The Roundhouse Marketplace at Bayview Place has been approved by City of Victoria council.

The nearly 60,000 square foot commercial and retail phase of the multi-phased Roundhouse at Bayview Place development by Focus Equities (bordered by Esquimalt Road, Kimta Road, Sitkum Road and Catherine Street in Vic West) will restore into commercial spaces four heritage railroad structures (including the turntable) formerly used by the Esquimalt & Nanaimo Railway. Eight railroad box cars will also be brought in and used as retail spaces, a fitting tribute to the site's railroad past.

The box cars will range between 400 and 500 square feet. Brick-and-mortar retail/commercial spaces will range between 1,145 and 5,848 square feet while an anchor tenant, most likely a grocery store, will occupy approximately 32,000 square feet in the former railroad roundhouse building that gives the project its name.

Elsewhere on the Roundhouse property several residential highrise towers and a highrise hotel will be built over the next decade with some 1,700 residences expected upon Bayview Place’s full build-out.

Restoration of Roundhouse's historic structures is likely to begin this year as is construction on the site’s new-build commercial spaces. C

© Copyright 2015 by Citified.ca. All rights reserved.

• thundergun and D.L. like this

Know it all.

#311 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 05:15 AM

^ that link is locked.  Is there more?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#312 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 05:45 AM

Nope that's it. Not much really to report. The link will be open next week. I just put it in for when the site goes live.

• Mixed365 likes this

Know it all.

#313 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 08:21 AM

Some additional details from the press release on Yahoo Finance https://ca.finance.y...-040000898.html

• The Roundhouse at Bayview Place is also approved as a craft beer and distillery manufacturing zone in the Car Shop, a first for Victoria.
  • "Timing is critical," states Kenneth W. Mariash, Sr., "we're moving on all fronts. Along with our commitment to rail heritage restoration, a third tower will get underway at Bayview Place this summer and our senior's site is also approved. With 1.5 million square feet of density on our 20 acre site, the culmination of these important components sets the table for additional residential development."

• Nparker likes this

#314 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 09:02 AM

This thing will be deserted from October to April unless they can get car parking a lot closer to the retail and food outlets.

Where is all the parking?  This design is a nice concept, but it's not going to work as a shopping destination.  YES, I know temporary parking is envisioned on the areas for later phases, but they are too far from the courtyard, and certainly too far from a grocery store.

And after phases get built and parking is moved underground, that gets worse for moving goods to your car.

#315 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 09:05 AM

I dunno about parking but I'm looking forward to using my panniers on the ride home to fill up my growler here.

• Dr. Barillas likes this

#316 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 09:07 AM

FEQ_Roundhouse_Perspective_10Wide_300dpi-479341882566.jpg

FEQ_Roundhouse_BoxCar_10Wide_300dpi_2_NoLogo-884180537144 (1).jpg

FEQ_Bayview_Aerial_10Wide_300dpi_2-62085078921.jpg

FEQ_Roundhouse_Plaza_10Wide_300dpi_NoLogo-1410695809708.jpg

#317 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 09:13 AM

Are they really going to let kids climb on that?  Seems way too fun to happen here.

#318 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 09:36 AM

That wide building reminds me way too much of that late-1960s white highrise near the Esquimalt border. Probably unfair of me to judge it so based on a block model, but that's the unfortunate vibe that I'm getting.

#319 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 09:40 AM

Re: parking, the two super-wide streets leading to the water would seem to offer enough parking along the curb for dozens of cars.

#320 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 09:44 AM

Re: parking, the two super-wide streets leading to the water would seem to offer enough parking along the curb for dozens of cars.

People won't even park in the Hudson parkade (what's left of the original) to walk to the Market.  I doubt they will park 4 minutes walk from the grocery store or distillery.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users