APPROVED
Roundhouse Marketplace
Use: commercial
Address: Esquimalt Road at Sitkum Road
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 1
Roundhouse Marketplace is the first phase of Bayview Place's Roundhouse neighbourhood. Comprised of commercial... (view full profile)
Learn more about Roundhouse Marketplace on Citified.ca
Photo

[Vic West] Roundhouse at Bayview Place | Condos; rentals; hotel; commercial | 2008 plan approved | 2020 plan proposed

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
1037 replies to this topic

#581 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 09:20 PM

And quite the performing arts centre!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#582 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,291 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 10 March 2021 - 09:05 AM

The vision has crystallized, and with the potential for Frank Gehry to design the project's cultural centre, that would bring this development into a completely different realm as far as modern architecture is concerned.

bayview-site-plan.jpg

A site plan, oriented with the northern perimeter of the project lands along the bottom of the image (parallel to Esquimalt Road) depicts the densities of the upcoming 'northern' half of the Roundhouse property, and an approved 25-storey condominium tower adjacent to a 21-storey massing model of a rental tower to its east on the 'southern' half. The location of a Gehry-designed cultural centre is identified by a red star, which will rise between condominium and hotel towers.

2,000 rental apartments and a Frank Gehry-designed cultural centre form updated vision for Vic West's Roundhouse lands

https://victoria.cit...undhouse-lands/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#583 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,032 posts

Posted 10 March 2021 - 09:09 AM

boring.

just build something already.  how hard can it be?

this thread is 14 years old.  ken mariash isn't getting any younger.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 March 2021 - 09:12 AM.

• lanforod and Dr. Barillas like this

#584 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 10 March 2021 - 12:36 PM

Wow, Frank Gehry? In Victoria? He's one of the most famous architects in the world. He did the iconic Dancing House in Prague, Guggenheim in Bilbao, and Walt Disney Concert Hall in LA. I saw the Dancing House back in 2019:

72657838_10157730059609540_3132041846193

• Mike K. and lanforod like this

#585 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 10 March 2021 - 01:04 PM

If Gehry's name was seriously being floated in connection with a cultural centre on inner harbour parking lots.. that might be exciting (although aren't his designs dated and passé at this point?).

This sounds like a case of using his name to get approval for higher density (which I support) much like the original promise to revitalize the Roundhouse. Perhaps another case of millionaires doing small favours for other millionaires, with no real intention of following through. Even the wording from Gehry is highly non-commital: “I am looking forward to helping, where I can, with the vision and fulfillment of this very special project.”

The site seems small and even if it comes to pass it would likely be very modest and designed by an apprentice architect in the firm. I give this a 10% chance of coming to fruition, but I'm 95% in favour of the new approach overall assuming they move away from excessive red brick and green spandrel and incorporate sufficient services and retail.
  • Mike K., Nparker, AllseeingEye and 2 others like this

#586 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 10 March 2021 - 01:40 PM

...I'm 95% in favour of the new approach overall assuming they move away from excessive red brick and green spandrel and incorporate sufficient services and retail.

And perhaps some variation in shape from shoeboxes turned on end.

• zoomer likes this

#587 jasmineshinga

jasmineshinga
  • 332 posts

Posted 10 March 2021 - 02:35 PM

Gehry's works are certainly... unique. Not sure Victorians can handle actual artistic license in their city.

• Nparker, lanforod and DavidSchell like this

~ Jasmine ~

#588 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 10 March 2021 - 02:44 PM

^I know!

We spend our days wishing for something like a Gehry, then he knocks on our doorstep (literally!) and we beat the guy down. Sometimes I have to agree with the sentiment that there's no winning.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.

#589 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 10 March 2021 - 03:49 PM

I just looked up Gehry's bio and he's 92 years old... hope the city doesn't make him wait until his wake.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#590 DavidSchell

DavidSchell
  • 687 posts

Posted 10 March 2021 - 06:23 PM

The vision has crystallized, and with the potential for Frank Gehry to design the project's cultural centre, that would bring this development into a completely different realm as far as modern architecture is concerned.

attachicon.gif bayview-site-plan.jpg

A site plan, oriented with the northern perimeter of the project lands along the bottom of the image (parallel to Esquimalt Road) depicts the densities of the upcoming 'northern' half of the Roundhouse property, and an approved 25-storey condominium tower adjacent to a 21-storey massing model of a rental tower to its east on the 'southern' half. The location of a Gehry-designed cultural centre is identified by a red star, which will rise between condominium and hotel towers.

2,000 rental apartments and a Frank Gehry-designed cultural centre form updated vision for Vic West's Roundhouse lands

https://victoria.cit...undhouse-lands/

Looks great, but given their track record I will put odds on that 5 years from now there will be some NEW PLAN!

• Brantastic likes this

#591 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 10 March 2021 - 08:39 PM

Wow, Frank Gehry? In Victoria? He's one of the most famous architects in the world. He did the iconic Dancing House in Prague, Guggenheim in Bilbao, and Walt Disney Concert Hall in LA. I saw the Dancing House back in 2019:

I saw the Dancing House in 2018, beautiful city.

• Brantastic likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#592 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 11 March 2021 - 07:12 AM

what's the big deal, we already have buildings designed by arthur erickson

#593 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 March 2021 - 07:44 AM

Gehry would just pull a doodle from an old sketchbook and hand it off to his staff without setting foot in Victoria. That's why Pam Madoff is on the record as being skeptical of starchitects doing work in Victoria. She says there are better modern architects out there. And I'm saying that as a Gehry fan that went to Bilbao.

• zoomer and jasmineshinga like this

#594 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 11 March 2021 - 07:56 AM

& if tourism is already a major industry in victoria, why do we need a guggenheim bilbao? btw does anyone know or care about any of its artworks? supposedly its function is a museum. & no the building itself doesn't count because a building isn't a sculpture or any other art object.

Edited by amor de cosmos, 11 March 2021 - 08:05 AM.

#595 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 11 March 2021 - 08:08 AM

....a building isn't a sculpture or any other art object.

Good architecture (aka "buildings") should be art. They are the most public display of artistic expression we have. 

#596 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 11 March 2021 - 08:21 AM

^ mostly nonsense, people might also like/dislike a building's form but maybe i've seen too many episodes of holmes on homes or entries on mcmansion hell or certain entries on bored panda. i would say that in the end buildings are designed with a specific purpose in mind and have to stand up & keep the weather out, that's why a lot of other people (contractors, engineers) are involved in the design. the *form* is only one small component.

Edited by amor de cosmos, 11 March 2021 - 08:28 AM.

#597 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 11 March 2021 - 08:25 AM

Gehry would just pull a doodle from an old sketchbook and hand it off to his staff without setting foot in Victoria. That's why Pam Madoff is on the record as being skeptical of starchitects doing work in Victoria. She says there are better modern architects out there. And I'm saying that as a Gehry fan that went to Bilbao.

But that's okay. If the building can legitimately say it was designed by Gehry, that's a massive tourist draw all by itself.

• Rob Randall likes this

#598 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 11 March 2021 - 08:27 AM

^ mostly nonsense....

Well that's one opinion, perhaps influenced by Victoria's mostly banal contemporary architecture, but there is no reason that "buildings" have to be entirely utilitarian in nature. While it's certainly not practical for most domestic architecture to be great works of art, I strongly believe that public buildings should be held to a higher standard.

• davidN likes this

#599 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 11 March 2021 - 08:44 AM

but there is no reason that "buildings" have to be entirely utilitarian in nature.

well i never said that nor even implied it. straw man

getting back to this cultural centre, unlike an art gallery or apartment building, i don't have a clear idea of what a "cultural centre" is or does. in the case of a gehry-designed cultural centre i have no idea what purpose it would serve except to provide a shiny shape for people to take pictures of, as in the case of the guggenheim bilbao where nobody seems to know or care what artworks it contains, if any. "cultural centre" seems to be a rather *amorphous* concept (haha)

i still would like to know, since we already have multiple buildings by arthur erickson in the victoria area (cunningham building @ uvic, laurel point inn, sitkum lodge) and others on the island, why do we need something by a big-name "starchitect"?

Edited by amor de cosmos, 11 March 2021 - 08:58 AM.

#600 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 March 2021 - 09:10 AM

getting back to this cultural centre, unlike an art gallery or apartment building, i don't have a clear idea of what a "cultural centre" is or does. in the case of a gehry-designed cultural centre i have no idea what purpose it would serve except to provide a shiny shape for people to take pictures of, as in the case of the guggenheim bilbao where nobody seems to know or care what artworks it contains, if any. "cultural centre" seems to be a rather *amorphous* concept (haha)

Currently, most of Victoria's arts organizations are barely making ends meet operating out of run-down old buildings. Relocate them in a high-maintenance building made out of aircraft titanium and someone's going to have to bring some cash to the table to make it work. 

When I was in Bilbao the upper gallery had an Armani exhibition which demonstrates usually how these things work. $$$

• Matt R. likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1), DavidSchell