APPROVED
Roundhouse Marketplace
Use: commercial
Address: Esquimalt Road at Sitkum Road
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 1
Roundhouse Marketplace is the first phase of Bayview Place's Roundhouse neighbourhood. Comprised of commercial... (view full profile)
Learn more about Roundhouse Marketplace on Citified.ca
Photo

[Vic West] Roundhouse at Bayview Place | Condos; rentals; hotel; commercial | 2008 plan approved | 2020 plan proposed

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
1035 replies to this topic

#641 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 03 August 2021 - 11:46 AM

These guys received ADP support for the proposed master plan changes in May. Minutes are here: https://www.victoria...ay 26, 2021.pdf

There's also a new application package on the Dev Tracker, but I'm not sure what has changed.

• Mike K. and Kapten Kapsell like this

#642 Vin

Vin
  • 143 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 12:26 PM

Revised plans have been submitted as of 23 April.

New design guidelines:  

https://tender.victo...130130718936158

New rezoning booklet:

New Staff Q&A:

There needs to be some avant garde tower and podium designs here, with the podiums to fit the looks of the Roundhouse. Page 28 of the New rezoning booklet should set the bar for the kinds of architecture to be featured here. Too many of Victoria's new condo building these days are nothing but cookie-cutter bores, if not outright disasters.

#643 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 23 October 2021 - 07:46 AM

F7B9CEF1-2874-4E29-B6D7-30C32E907A26.jpeg
  • Nparker likes this

#644 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,309 posts

Posted 23 October 2021 - 08:07 AM

Bayview Properties has recently submitted an application for rezoning on their roundhouse property in Vic West, dubbed The Roundhouse, which is joined to the Bayview Victoria[/url:6d1fb] development in Vic West. The project's website is available at [url]http://www.roundhousevictoria.com

The following image is a screenshot from the PDF available on the website and shows one of the potential scenarios. The tallest tower is 24-storeys and the others are stepped down towards Lime Bay.

almost 15 years later.

hope this is almost done.  i'm holding off on buying fresh squash to get some here on day #1.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 October 2021 - 08:07 AM.

#645 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 23 October 2021 - 08:20 AM

B7819741-AEF0-440A-A130-3F6D34AF79B8.jpeg

#646 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 23 October 2021 - 08:41 AM

Are you suggesting the odds of the Roundhouse project actually coming to fruition are as likely as winning the lottery?

#647 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 23 October 2021 - 08:48 AM

Are you suggesting the odds of the Roundhouse project actually coming to fruition are as likely as winning the lottery?

Not really, it was just an impulse buy at the liquor store. Thought I could turn around some luck.

#648 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 23 October 2021 - 12:34 PM

I think he's letting us know he's gone off the rails.

• todd and DavidSchell like this

#649 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 23 October 2021 - 01:43 PM

I think he's letting us know he's gone off the rails.

That tracks.

#650 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 16 November 2021 - 05:55 PM

There is some organized neighborhood opposition to the Bayview Place rezoning. Leaflets were placed on vehicles on Kimta Road this afternoon. Promontory was having its parkade cleaned so many of the vehicles from the building were parked there.

The leaflet suggests visiting a Facebook page call StopBayviewRezoning

#651 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 16 November 2021 - 06:09 PM

Opposition to a dense, high-rise project in Victoria? Say it isn't so!

#652 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 16 November 2021 - 07:04 PM

The Bayview development has destroyed the neighborhood, we must stop the madness! /s

#653 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 16 November 2021 - 08:09 PM

The Bayview development has destroyed the neighborhood, we must stop the madness! /s

I bet the largest number of naysayers are residents of the existing Bayview buildings. That's just how the game is played.

#654 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 16 November 2021 - 08:10 PM

Part of the problem is ten years of broken promises when it comes to the roundhouse lands. Maybe the roundhouse amenities needs  o be totally completed before another shovel for condos goes into the ground.

• DavidSchell likes this

#655 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 16 November 2021 - 08:16 PM

It would be nice if the developer showed some good faith by getting something concrete happening with the existing Roundhouse buildings; conversely, if the rezoning doesn't happen, then I could see them abandoning the site altogether.

• DavidSchell likes this

#656 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 November 2021 - 08:39 PM

I bet the largest number of naysayers are residents of the existing Bayview buildings. That's just how the game is played.

Yup, I found the note on my car in the Encore parkade and made a video on the topic -> https://www.youtube....h?v=ZvnvWR_rlH8

Wtf is wrong people. This area can handle a lot of density in my opinion. I live in the area and I'll walk along the water to Westbay Marina and it isn't busy...in the middle of summer. There is barely any traffic in the Songhees. 

My unit also stares right at the Bayview Place development so my view will be partially blocked by the towers just like the Encore blocked part of the Promontory view, just like the view out of my Bayview one unit got blocked by the Promontory. If you have an issue with density just move somewhere remote, jesus. 

Edited by MarkoJ, 16 November 2021 - 08:50 PM.

• Mike K., zoomer, Nparker and 5 others like this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#657 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 16 November 2021 - 10:25 PM

Marko, better still you should move to Toronto where you can enjoy the density already there. Dont have to wait for it to be built. Being a real estate agent makes you really objective. 

#658 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 November 2021 - 10:34 PM

Marko, better still you should move to Toronto where you can enjoy the density already there. Dont have to wait for it to be built. Being a real estate agent makes you really objective.

You should move to Port Renfrew so you can enjoy the piece and quiet there. You living on a 1/2 acre lot in a 7,000 sqft home in Rockland makes you really objective.
  • Matt R., punk cannonballer and davidN like this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#659 m3m

m3m
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 17 November 2021 - 12:53 AM

That Facebook page is nuts. They want the developer to be forced to build something within the existing zoning despite that a) not being something Focus wants to do; b) would likely not be financially viable; and c) wouldn’t be dense enough to support any meaningful retail.

They’re not just opposed to the rezoning but want something done to force the developer to finally build something - and primarily something that serves the existing residents of the area. For me, this is a level of entitlement I have not seen before.

#660 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 17 November 2021 - 04:22 AM

When the original condos were built there were a lot of promises made as to what was going to be built on the roundhouse property in terms of theater and sopping and amenities,  I suspect that this failure to follow through on the promises is what is underlying the anger to changing the zoning. The city failed to make these promises part of the original zoning changes. 

I do remember about eight years ago listening to the sales pitch as to all the wonderful plans for the roundhouse none of which included the proposed tower. 

My wife clearly pointed out that she thought the sales people were blowing air and that the plans would not likely ever be built. None of it was in the actual contract of sale for your condo so it is a case of buyer be be ware. Still the city was sold with the same plans for development of the roundhouse for the original rezoning. Strangely, there was nothing secured by the city to make sure the plans where followed.

It is now a matter of renegotiating this matter but also with an eye to making sure that developers are not rewarded for doing a bait and switch, The good news is that the developer is not just going to leave this not vacant for long, not with the spec tax applying to vacant land.

I also suspect that a number of people bought units based on the official plans and what their view lines where going to be under the official plan for the area. 

People pay a large premium for their view and when there is a master plan for an area done by the city then I find it questionable to change the plan simply to allow the developer to have a major windfall. 

On the other hand maybe the first priority is to make developers and real estate agents even richer. 

Personally, I dont have any immediate interest in the area but the city was promised repeatedly that the Roundhouse portion would have major public amenities and the developers have not only reneged but now want to be rewarded with even more zoning changes which are worth millions in their pocket. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users