APPROVED
Roundhouse Marketplace
Use: commercial
Address: Esquimalt Road at Sitkum Road
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 1
Roundhouse Marketplace is the first phase of Bayview Place's Roundhouse neighbourhood. Comprised of commercial... (view full profile)
Learn more about Roundhouse Marketplace on Citified.ca
Photo

[Vic West] Roundhouse at Bayview Place | Condos; rentals; hotel; commercial | 2008 plan approved | 2020 plan proposed

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
1035 replies to this topic

#661 davidN

davidN
  • 186 posts
  • LocationOak Bay

Posted 17 November 2021 - 06:02 AM

Marko, better still you should move to Toronto where you can enjoy the density already there. Dont have to wait for it to be built. Being a real estate agent makes you really objective. 

Regardless of Markos employment in the industry he is correct. That area can and should be denisfied as it is close to downtown where people work and is relatively easily serviced.

If not there then where? Do we tear down more single family homes? Do we build along the waterfront (Dallas Road etc.) Do we build in Beacon Hill Park?  Where do we find wide swaths of land to house people?

The point is - we live on an Island. There is water on 3 sides of us and the Malahat to the North. All this combines to limit our ability to provide enough land for single family home development. The only answer is condominiums. You must go up. Air is free (compared to land). It is only a question of where and when something will be built not if. Our housing crises is a crises of supply and demand. Nothing else. 

To house the influx of people who want to live in the Victoria area it is time to wake up. - Our sleepy "backwater" is highly desirable and to live here with any semblance of economic balance we must look to the future and densify.

Anyone who disputes this is living with blinders on.

• Nparker and DavidSchell like this

#662 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 17 November 2021 - 06:08 AM

Regardless of Markos employment in the industry he is correct. That area can and should be denisfied as it is close to downtown where people work and is relatively easily serviced.

If not there then where (else)? 

Where else:  Along all the busy corridors.  Douglas, Burnside, Bay, Cook, Haultain, Hillside, Quadra, Shelbourne, Blanshard, Finlayson.  And along the Goose.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 17 November 2021 - 06:14 AM.

#663 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 17 November 2021 - 06:28 AM

Why are we in such a rush to build housing for people who don’t live here?

Let them build their own house. No you say? That’s won’t work. We won’t grow fast enough. We won’t make any money. That will increase the price of existing homes. Where will our children live?

The reality is we will never be able to build fast enough or high enough or far enough in order to meet the demand. Especially now.

Let’s cram the new wave of settlers in as best we can and worry about the quality of life later. At least it will be affordable for anyone who wants to live here. Right?

#664 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 17 November 2021 - 06:30 AM

^ Try to take your point of view to an open meeting, and oppose the 400,000 people we bring into the country every year.

You'll quickly be labelled a racist.

#665 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 17 November 2021 - 06:54 AM

^ I was going for more of a conservationist look.

Don’t worry none of my ideas on future populations and habitat are considered worthy of discussion in today’s woke circles.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#666 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 17 November 2021 - 06:57 AM

^ I was going for more of a conservationist look.

As Spanky has pointed out here, Canada's largest source of additional emissions are due to those 400,000 extra people we bring in every year.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 17 November 2021 - 06:57 AM.

• Barrrister likes this

#667 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 17 November 2021 - 07:04 AM

There were 102 immigrants on the Mayflower exactly 401 years ago.

How bad could it get?

#668 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 17 November 2021 - 07:23 AM

They weren’t diverse enough.

New settlers are from all over now. Spreading out the blame.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 17 November 2021 - 07:23 AM.

#669 davidN

davidN
  • 186 posts
  • LocationOak Bay

Posted 17 November 2021 - 07:23 AM

Where else:  Along all the busy corridors.  Douglas, Burnside, Bay, Cook, Haultain, Hillside, Quadra, Shelbourne, Blanshard, Finlayson.  And along the Goose.

Ok. Agreed

But why not the Bayview lands then?

What is so exceptional about that are that it shouldn't be densified?

• corvus likes this

#670 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 17 November 2021 - 07:24 AM

Bayview too!

#671 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 17 November 2021 - 08:08 AM

Is Bayview a phased strata? Or is each individual building a separate strata?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#672 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 November 2021 - 08:12 AM

Is Bayview a phased strata? Or is each individual building a separate strata?

Three separate stratas. Bayview One, Promontory and Encore.
  • Nparker likes this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#673 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 November 2021 - 08:15 AM

On the other hand maybe the first priority is to make developers and real estate agents even richer.

Can you please explain to me how rental towers make real estate agents richer? Your arguments are just so poor that is the only thing you can grasp at.
  • yellow_baron likes this

#674 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 17 November 2021 - 08:16 AM

Are any amenities tethered to future phases, within the disclosure statement?

What I’m getting at it, is unless the amenities are part of the purchase of units within the first three towers, the residents asking for commercial services are not likely to see a satisfactory result on their terms.

Now that being said, it’ll be a race between Bayview and Dockside Green for new commercial in Vic West (and it IS needed). But I don’t think there’s enough demand for two more grocery stores/large retail centres.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#675 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 November 2021 - 08:27 AM

Are any amenities tethered to future phases, within the disclosure statement?

What I’m getting at it, is unless the amenities are part of the purchase of units within the first three towers, the residents asking for commercial services are not likely to see a satisfactory result on their terms.

No, that would require predicting the economy and a bunch of other factors. **** happens, look at Dockside it sat stalled for 10 years. To buy into a condo (I own three between the three existing buildings including my principal residence) and expect an adjacent development to remain unchanged and built in some version of a timeline that works for you is complete nonsense.

The biggest thing I find hilarious is you have individuals living in near new condos complaining about density with no specific arguments. It's not like they are citing how many extra vehciles will be driving down Kimta per hour, etc.
  • DavidSchell, m3m and Victoria Watcher like this

#676 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 17 November 2021 - 08:40 AM

It’s been a Victoria thing for time immemorial.

20-years-ago retirees moving into downtown towers were complaining about other downtown towers. It’s Victoria's right of passage.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#677 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 17 November 2021 - 08:51 AM

...20-years-ago retirees moving into downtown towers were complaining about other downtown towers...

It seems to be the modus operandi of the DRA.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#678 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 17 November 2021 - 08:57 AM

Well, they’re just fighting for a foot but hoping to get an inch. I guess it’s understandable.

Know it all.

#679 ovovov

ovovov
  • 152 posts

Posted 17 November 2021 - 09:25 AM

An epic mindset issue are people who want a better life, then put down every aspect of building that very life.

They equate money with greed, striving with narcissism, and tout "eat the rich."

You don't draw closer to things you vilify. Get your head right…quote from internet
  • Mike K. likes this

#680 yellow_baron

yellow_baron
  • 49 posts

Posted 17 November 2021 - 03:20 PM

I also suspect that a number of people bought units based on the official plans and what their view lines where going to be under the official plan for the area. 

People pay a large premium for their view and when there is a master plan for an area done by the city then I find it questionable to change the plan simply to allow the developer to have a major windfall. 

People are morons if this is what they bought into. Plans change. Nobody gets a guaranteed view unless you buy a place that sits on the water or buy in a place that's already built out. The sheer stupidity of someone buying in Bayview Promentory and then protesting the view, knowing full well that they bought into a developing area. I have zero sympathy. 

In terms of the amenities and the 'bait and switch'. The developer will try to make the project as affordable as possible and the city will push for requirements and conditions. They'll negotiate an outcome that will fall somewhere in between. Look at Bosa and Dockside. Did that project also violate Bayview's sensibilities? Bosa will in all likelihood push for greater density for future project phases and I can't wait to hear the cacophony from all around when that happens. 

• Nparker, MarkoJ and Victoria Watcher like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users