APPROVED
Roundhouse Marketplace
Use: commercial
Address: Esquimalt Road at Sitkum Road
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 1
Roundhouse Marketplace is the first phase of Bayview Place's Roundhouse neighbourhood. Comprised of commercial... (view full profile)
Learn more about Roundhouse Marketplace on Citified.ca
Photo

[Vic West] Roundhouse at Bayview Place | Condos; rentals; hotel; commercial | 2008 plan approved | 2020 plan proposed

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
1035 replies to this topic

#681 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,938 posts

Posted 17 November 2021 - 03:32 PM

In terms of the amenities and the 'bait and switch'. The developer will try to make the project as affordable as possible and the city will push for requirements and conditions. They'll negotiate an outcome that will fall somewhere in between. Look at Bosa and Dockside. Did that project also violate Bayview's sensibilities? Bosa will in all likelihood push for greater density for future project phases and I can't wait to hear the cacophony from all around when that happens. 

This sounds right.

#682 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 November 2021 - 04:51 PM

People are morons if this is what they bought into. Plans change. Nobody gets a guaranteed view unless you buy a place that sits on the water or buy in a place that's already built out. The sheer stupidity of someone buying in Bayview Promentory and then protesting the view, knowing full well that they bought into a developing area. I have zero sympathy. 

+1. This is coming from someone who bought both at Promontory and Encore. When I bought these units, I knew at some point in time Bayview Place would be developed, it was so beyond obvious as you note to protest any impact on my view at this point would be so incredibly stupid. 

Hilarious thing is everyone has been *****ing up views up here. The shorter tower at the Encore has an elevator shaft on it so you had a bunch of people *****ing from the Bayview and Promontory that they were not aware the shorter tower would have an elevator shaft structure righty nasty letters to Bosa, etc., etc. The stupidity and entitlement of people is beyond belief. 

• Mike K. likes this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#683 E2V

E2V
  • 166 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 07:27 AM

At the public hearing for a six story building in Esquimalt this week, someone living in a nine story building a half block away was there to speak against it.

#684 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 November 2021 - 12:47 PM

I don't know we will possibly handle all the density in the Songhees. One in 25 times I have to wait for a car to go by before I can cross Kimta down to the water. Just imagine when it is all built out and one in 10 times I have to wait to cross the road. My life will be ruined.

20211118_080236_resized.jpg

20211118_080559_resized.jpg

Edited by MarkoJ, 18 November 2021 - 12:48 PM.

• zoomer, aastra, Nparker and 2 others like this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#685 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 01:39 PM

I have noted this before. For all the condos, it can be a dead zone down there.
  • aastra and Nparker like this

#686 Moderation

Moderation
  • Suspended User
  • 364 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 02:44 PM

Perhaps the lack of commercial properties makes it more like a suburb residential area but located downtown. Lots of walker/runners on sunny days year round.

• aastra likes this

#687 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,938 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 02:53 PM

I know a few people that live there. They like that it’s sometimes quiet.
  • aastra likes this

#688 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 10:25 AM

A new rezoning request has been submitted to the city:  https://tender.victo...130130718936158

Here's a new rendering:

roundhouse3.png

#689 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,712 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 10:34 AM

If I live to be 200 years old there's a chance I might see this vision come to fruition.

• Fairbanks, Hotel Mike, Dr. Barillas and 2 others like this

#690 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,509 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 11:02 AM

The big question is, will the City permit six highrise towers to stand so close together at the Catherine/Esquimalt corner ranging from 23 to 32-storeys.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#691 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 11:21 AM

Take a stroll down Tyee now that the new Dockside buildings are taking shape. There is a definite downtown vibe.

One of the complaints from the current Roundhouse opponents is that the density calculation is based on the entire historical density of the previously built areas and contributed park areas. That's what allows for the greater density in Catherine/Esquimalt.

The area would become a satellite extension of downtown (similar to the proposed "Uptown corridor". The advantage of Vic West is that it is very walkable to downtown without actually being in it. That is very marketable given the current problems downtown.
  • Nparker, Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this

#692 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,938 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 11:29 AM

Well, not to be left out, the city allowed two new homeless projects to come to the area.  So you might still get some downtown vibe.

• Nparker likes this

#693 yellow_baron

yellow_baron
  • 49 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 01:05 PM

This seems like an odd proposal to lob at the city...towers are clustered a bit too close and the variation in height seems to be a bit arbitrary. 

Not that it matters - this project is going nowhere fast. 

#694 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 01:06 PM

I know a few people that live there. They like that it’s sometimes quiet.

Some people just don't want to understand it. Residential development without a large commercial component (or other such draw) in an area that offers no advantages to through traffic = quiet.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#695 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,938 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 01:06 PM

This seems like an odd proposal to lob at the city...towers are clustered a bit too close and the variation in height seems to be a bit arbitrary. 

Not that it matters - this project is going nowhere fast. 

Mariash is 73.  He's not likely to see it through, for sure.

#696 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 01:09 PM

For the sake of visual variation I think I'd much prefer it if they chop ~three buildings down to maybe 8-12 stories.

#697 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,290 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 15 December 2021 - 02:36 PM

The changes are quite monumental, effectively undoing the pursuit of rental housing which in late 2020 and through mid-2021 was described as essential to the project's viability. Now condo dominate at a ratio of over 3:1 with 1,700 units versus 500 rentals.

Vic West's 2,200-unit Roundhouse project switches gears with fewer rentals, more condos

https://victoria.cit...ls-more-condos/

• Nparker likes this
Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#698 DavidSchell

DavidSchell
  • 687 posts

Posted 15 December 2021 - 03:23 PM

Wait two years ... it will change again  :banana:

• Nparker likes this

#699 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 15 December 2021 - 10:07 PM

At this rate Northern Junk is going to be completed before Roundhouse even breaks ground lol

#700 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 08:05 AM

The market for buying large rental towers has really started to soften. The possibility that rent controls will be linked to the unit rather the tenant has been the final dagger to the heart for a lot of institutional investors like pension funds.

• Nparker and spanky123 like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users