APPROVED
Roundhouse Marketplace
Use: commercial
Address: Esquimalt Road at Sitkum Road
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 1
Roundhouse Marketplace is the first phase of Bayview Place's Roundhouse neighbourhood. Comprised of commercial... (view full profile)
Learn more about Roundhouse Marketplace on Citified.ca
Photo

[Vic West] Roundhouse at Bayview Place | Condos; rentals; hotel; commercial | 2008 plan approved | 2020 plan proposed

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
1035 replies to this topic

#761 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 06 May 2023 - 05:59 AM

Yup. All true.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#762 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 06 May 2023 - 11:42 AM

Victoria's fast-paced development scene will make your head spin, except in those cases when things take forever to happen.

• Nparker, DavidSchell and downtownlurker like this

#763 HarrisonGreene

HarrisonGreene
  • 65 posts

Posted 19 August 2023 - 06:26 PM

Does anyone know what's going on at Tyee & Kimta? Also, did they just give up painting this side of the presentation center?

Attached Images

• IMG_1465.jpg
  • IMG_1467.jpg

#764 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 19 August 2023 - 08:50 PM

Is the seniors building at this location officially dead?

#765 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 19 August 2023 - 08:53 PM

But it was going to have markets, and a museum and restaurants with patios! All within seven years! 20 years ago….
  • Nparker and Barrrister like this

#766 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,849 posts

Posted 19 August 2023 - 11:23 PM

Bayview Properties has recently submitted an application for rezoning on their roundhouse property in Vic West, dubbed The Roundhouse, which is joined to the Bayview Victoria[/url:6d1fb] development in Vic West. The project's website is available at [url]http://www.roundhousevictoria.com

The following image is a screenshot from the PDF available on the website and shows one of the potential scenarios. The tallest tower is 24-storeys and the others are stepped down towards Lime Bay.

Indeed here we are, 16 years ago.

#767 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 20 August 2023 - 06:48 AM

I went to an open house ten years ago where they also said that there would be gym facilities available in a seperate building. When I asked about all these facilities being in my contract of purchase I was sort of politely ignored.

• dasmo likes this

#768 HarrisonGreene

HarrisonGreene
  • 65 posts

Posted 20 August 2023 - 04:33 PM

Was this lot at Kimta and Tyee recently excavated?

#769 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 20 August 2023 - 06:19 PM

^ Yes that portion of the next phase was excavated quite some time ago. There is some new equipment on site now so it looks like they are ramping up. 

I happened to be there today grabbing some shots further up where the older buildings are located. I have always been interested in this site with the old rust still there.

RY Rust.jpg

There are some interesting infrastructures like the round swing.

RY Round.jpg

And the rail cars.

RY CP Car.jpg

What's not to like about an old railyard.

RY Wide.jpg

• Matt R. likes this

#770 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 21 August 2023 - 05:41 AM

They had the railcars delivered some years ago, it was quite the thing. Anyone remember the plan for food trucks operating out of the rail cars

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#771 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 21 August 2023 - 06:10 AM

So many plans, so little done.

• dasmo likes this

#772 HarrisonGreene

HarrisonGreene
  • 65 posts

Posted 21 August 2023 - 05:21 PM

Any info on when this will go back to council?

#773 HarrisonGreene

HarrisonGreene
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 August 2023 - 11:03 AM

https://www.vicnews....project-3040045

Yawn

#774 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 26 August 2023 - 01:19 PM

Actually this is one place I do think would be appropriate for a lot more density. I would approve towers of up to forty stories. But the developer FIRST and I mean first has to complete a real community center with pool and gym facilities for the community. None of this we plan on doing it later or some time soon.

#775 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 26 August 2023 - 04:56 PM

Neighbours, developer at odds over massive scope of Victoria project

Petition started to oppose project in Vic West

But the group said there hasn’t been enough awareness in the community about the changes to the design, and Mattu said many members of the community still believed they were getting the original five towers when he approached them with the petition.

“All we did was inform people,” Mattu said. “We’re not in the business of convincing people. It’s about power of information and once information came, (the opposition) started to take off.”

Mariash disagrees. He said he’s sent out more than 8,000 invitations to meetings and presentations about the development, adding “no project has ever had as much participation and consultation.”

While council voted to move the development forward at the May 4 committee of the whole meeting, councillors asked Mariash to reduce the density to a 4.4 floor space ratio instead of the 4.75 pitched in the proposal, among other requests.

Mariash said he has listened to everything council and staff have asked for. The decreased density removes approximately 400 units from the previously pitched 1,900-unit plan.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 August 2023 - 05:00 PM.

#776 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 26 August 2023 - 05:11 PM

...Petition started to oppose project in Vic West...

For gawdsake why?  :whyme:

• DavidSchell likes this

#777 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 26 August 2023 - 05:24 PM

I think it should be a lot bigger with higher towers. But there should be a major community center and gym and pool built as well.

• max.bravo and HarrisonGreene like this

#778 HarrisonGreene

HarrisonGreene
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 August 2023 - 08:48 PM

I agree with Barrister. The towers should be higher than Victoria has ever seen.
  • max.bravo likes this

#779 2F2R

2F2R
  • 675 posts

Posted 26 August 2023 - 10:52 PM

I think the old train roundhouse and surrounding property is Victoria’s biggest missed opportunity, even greater than the giving away the Princess Margaret. I like to imagine the old ship as the home of the maritime museum and shops and restaurants, maybe even replacing one of the inner harbour parking lots. The roundhouse could be one of our greatest tourist attractions, train and local history museum, market and shops …
  • Nparker and HarrisonGreene like this

#780 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 27 August 2023 - 02:55 AM

Maybe by 2085.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users