APPROVED
Roundhouse Marketplace
Use: commercial
Address: Esquimalt Road at Sitkum Road
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 1
Roundhouse Marketplace is the first phase of Bayview Place's Roundhouse neighbourhood. Comprised of commercial... (view full profile)
Learn more about Roundhouse Marketplace on Citified.ca
Photo

[Vic West] Roundhouse at Bayview Place | Condos; rentals; hotel; commercial | 2008 plan approved | 2020 plan proposed

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
1036 replies to this topic

#101 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 12:53 AM

That is good news. I was really worried about the Roundhouse. During the process of the rezoning I learned a lot about how alarming the condition of the building really was. I was worried that if they put off repairs over the next few years there would be nothing but facade left to preserve. Good on Ken Mariash for doing this first. If the rest of the project tanks he'll be left holding the bag on the expensive restoration. It is a gamble for him to take in this economic reality. But if he plays it safe we could lose the building.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#102 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 02:55 PM

Per a recent T-C article, this project should now be considered 'under construction'. I think the initial work involves stabilization to the historic structures.

#103 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 11:27 AM

Once the new construction begins we'll update the status to U/C :)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#104 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 07:21 PM

This site has been in the news lately as a worker stumbled upon the skeletal remains of a homeless man living in an abandoned/vacant truck that has been slated for removal... :(

#105 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 10:09 AM

A new article about future work at Bayview mentions some stuff about the Roundhouse project.
http://www.timescolo...4524/story.html

This year, the remediation is expected to start on the Roundhouse project, where Mariash has paid to clean up and repair the 4.25-hectare former Canadian Pacific Railway site.

There are tentative plans to transform the neglected brick buildings, which have heritage designation from the city, into shops, pubs, restaurants, offices, community space and a rail-line maintenance facility. Also part of the $250 million Roundhouse project are a hotel and more than 400 condominiums.

#106 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 11:02 AM

Here's an exclusive rendering showing the latest designs for the entire Bayview and Roundhouse projects by Bayview Properties.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#107 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 06:41 PM

That will look nice when its all built....in about 30+ years

#108 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 07:22 PM

There is way too much open space.

#109 rchauhan

rchauhan
  • 70 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:42 PM

There is way too much open space.

I agree. Notice how the buildings in both projects seem to be in almost a straight line?

#110 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 09:46 AM

You need open space as part of the Roundhouse project in order for trains to access railroad facilities. There's not much that can be done about that.

Some of the green spaces you see on the Bayview portion will be redeveloped into low-rise housing, particularly along the hillsides. I don't know why those buildings are not reflected in the above rendering.

Know it all.

#111 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 01:03 PM

ROUNDHOUSE REDEVLOPMENT GETS PROVINCIAL TAXPAYER ASSISTANCE

http://www.cfax1070....hp?newsId=10986

Oct 19, 2009

THE PROVINCE IS CONTRIBUTING 125 THOUSAND DOLLARS TO ENVIRONMENTAL REMEDIATION OF THE HISTORIC RAILWAY ROUND HOUSE PROPERTY IN VIC WEST.

[...]

#112 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 19 October 2009 - 01:46 PM

^^ *sniff sniff* Something stinks, and it's not the brownfield.

#113 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 08:43 PM

I did quite a bit of work during my MA on Brownfield redevelopment. I remember vividly when that fund was first announced. I was on the cusp - one of those situations where you start your research at the cutting edge and by the time you was finished everyone is doing it. Here is a link to the Canadian Brownfields Network - fascinating reading if you are interested in that kind of thing. Lots of GREAT material about the environmental reasons for Brownfield remediation (beyond detoxifying soil and densifying cities) and the case for government funding. Here is the American example. Enjoy!
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#114 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 09:03 PM

^^ *sniff sniff* Something stinks, and it's not the brownfield.

Doesn't strike me as suspicious if the Province is putting in some money toward cleaning up the existing mess. Dockside Green got significant financial breaks for remediating its lands, didn't it?

Government let the pollution happen in the first place (ok, "back then" we refused to know any better ...sure, we knew, but we refused to know), so it seems reasonable to not let the new (private) owner take the full brunt of clean up. In the US, the Feds have Superfund to help with clean up. States help, too. (Canada doesn't even have an EPA, does it?)
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#115 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 07:53 AM

storry in today's tc:
http://www.timescolo...2916/story.html

#116 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 11:25 AM

As the Roundhouse property is a National Historic site as described in the Kalman Report to the city, it would have originally made some sense to preserve the property for use future use as a light rail and bus interchange. The municipality/city could have done a land swap with the developer exchanging the rail right of way from the roundhouse to the Johnson Street Bridge, for land for transit needs at the Roundhouse.

A future light rail line could then head east from the Roundhouse site along Esquimalt Road to either Bay Street or Johnson Street Bridges.

#117 Guest_Marcat_*

Guest_Marcat_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2009 - 07:30 PM

Not that this is a big surprise to very many people I would imagine, but on the Journal of Commerce, the Roundhouse Development has come up as stalled and deferred to at earliest, late 2010, early 2011 for re-evaluation of possible construction schedules.

#118 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 09:28 PM

^Well, it is kinda a surprise since the last we heard from them, in late October, their brownfield grant was approved and it was full steam ahead. I wonder when the J of C info was made public and how long it was going to be before the mainstream media discovered it.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#119 Guest_Marcat_*

Guest_Marcat_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2009 - 09:46 PM

^Well, it is kinda a surprise since the last we heard from them, in late October, their brownfield grant was approved and it was full steam ahead. I wonder when the J of C info was made public and how long it was going to be before the mainstream media discovered it.

The J of C info was made public on the 24th. Its merely a project update, nothing earth shattering or cutting edge with information provided to the project, As for when an impending announcement with the media will be made, it is anyone's guess.

I suppose it is no surprise to me when I look at the big picture as there has been zero marketing of this project, on top of that, the developer is the same organization behind Bayview, and Bayview from what I understand is suffering, a quick drive by the project could tell you its fairly empty in the scheme of things.

#120 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 10:57 AM

The Roundhouse development had never even taken off the ground so it's impossible for it to be stalled. Until marketing of units begins and shovels hit the ground, this project will remain proposed/approved, unless it is outright canceled.

As for the remediation of the roundhouse building, that's merely a preliminary step and doesn't necessarily count as part of the actual redevelopment of the property.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

10 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1), Bing (1), 2000larry