APPROVED
Roundhouse Marketplace
Use: commercial
Address: Esquimalt Road at Sitkum Road
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 1
Roundhouse Marketplace is the first phase of Bayview Place's Roundhouse neighbourhood. Comprised of commercial... (view full profile)
Learn more about Roundhouse Marketplace on Citified.ca
Photo

[Vic West] Roundhouse at Bayview Place | Condos; rentals; hotel; commercial | 2008 plan approved | 2020 plan proposed

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
1035 replies to this topic

#61 thant pix

thant pix
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 12:45 AM

Hi y'all, I've been reading these, finally signed up.

The roundhouse project should be stopped, at least for the most part, in order to save space for future rail freight transfer and light industrial/warehouse space. We can get freight rail back on the island! In fact Island Corridor Society has already started repairs on the most critical sections of track.

#62 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 06:39 AM

From what I understand this project leaves huge tracts of land by the tracks open for exactly what you mention.

#63 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 07:39 AM

Glad you came out of lurker status, welcome to the discussion!

#64 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 07:47 AM

Was there not plans for a freight place in Langford a while back?

#65 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 01:53 PM

Council this morning accepted the various committee reports that have been done lately and planned to send RH to public hearing in late July.

#66 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 08:48 AM

Study assesses benefits of Roundhouse project
Carolyn Heiman, Times Colonist
Published: Saturday, June 21, 2008

#67 Koru

Koru
  • 715 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 06:20 AM

Roundhouse development gets green light from council
Hotel, condos and retail slated for Vic West site
Carolyn Heiman, Times Colonist
Published: Friday, July 25, 2008

A new chapter was written last night for the historic railway roundhouse site in Victoria's Vic West neighbourhood.

Victoria city council okayed far-reaching development plans for the brownfield site that will save one of Canada's last railway roundhouses and a railway corridor in exchange for the right to build a 180-unit hotel, 460-unit condominium and a suite of retail services on the 4.25-hectare site.

[...]

#68 Rorschach

Rorschach

Truth is my bitch!

• 758 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 07:15 AM

The plan for the Roundhouse is really thorough and really good. Very rarely do you see a plan like that which addresses everything so elegantly and simply yet so comprehensively. It's going to be a jewel in the area and the people involved in making this happen deserve a lot praise.

I really love what was done with Dockside Green, but I have to say that Roundhouse is going to outdo it by a wide margin.

The whole thing is such a good idea. Wow!

#69 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 08:40 AM

Now we just wait for 30 years and multiple boom-bust cycles and we might even see this one finished!

#70 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 09:06 AM

Vic West will still have its day.

When I was in high school back in the '90's everyone and their dog harped on Vic West as though it was some sort of refuse dump for the City of Victoria. Few ventured "across the bridges," as they put it, but now those individuals are buying up Vic West condos and praising the area for its proximity to downtown, it's clean and quiet neighbourhoods and now its new projects with new amenities. Go figure.
  • kafkaesque likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#71 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 09:23 AM

I think that this is a good project and many people have worked very hard to see this through.

My only concern is that the amenities actually be delivered as the consulting firm discussed. Developers seem to have a habit of digging holes in the ground and then whining to council about not being able to deliver what they promised.

#72 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 09:28 AM

I find it interesting that this article doesn't mention the height of the condos and hotel, even though they'll be some of the tallest in the City.

Letters in support of the project overwhelmed the council package. Almost the lone voice of opposition came from Sasha Kvakic, president of the nearby Tyee Housing Co-operative, who said council should have insisted on some affordable housing in the project.

"A time is fast approaching when working families will no longer be able to live in Victoria proper," she wrote.

...and Sasha Kvakic is a man.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#73 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 01:11 PM

Is this the first building in Victoria taller than 20 stories? Has this city council gotten past that psychological barrier?

#74 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 01:36 PM

Say what? That psychological barrier was broken 38 years ago.

#75 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 03:56 PM

...Coun. Pam Madoff was the sole councillor to vote against the rezoning and change to the official community plan saying the heritage buildings have been made an afterthought in the site planning and shadowing from the towers on the site would likely preclude it being an enjoyable atmosphere.
"I hope my impression of this development is wrong," Madoff said.

The comments in that article are interesting. This is a once-in-a-forever chance to put some significant in-your-face architecture right at the entrance to the inner harbour. For better or worse, the new roundhouse buildings will be seen and photographed by anybody and everybody who comes in on the Coho or Clipper, a floatplane, a helicopter, or a whale-watching boat. To rework the roundhouse site is to rework a major piece of the gateway to Victoria. And yet nobody seemed to have anything to say in this regard. Methinks this would have been the key concern in any other city.

Sometimes I wonder if most Victorians ever really bother to ponder the tourist's experience.
  • kafkaesque likes this

#76 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 04:51 PM

Say what? That psychological barrier was broken 38 years ago.

By what? :confused:

#77 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 04:59 PM

Astoria is 20 stories and was built in 2006
Roberts house is 21 stories and was built in 1973
Orchard House is 22 stories and was built in 1969

Executive house and view towers are both 20 if you count the mech penthouse

#78 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 05:42 PM

I had no idea Roberts House & Orchard House were that tall, I totally forgot about them. Did the same James Bay crew that keeps killing the Crystalview proposals try to kill those too?

#79 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 06:37 PM

...Coun. Pam Madoff was the sole councillor to vote against the rezoning and change to the official community plan saying the heritage buildings have been made an afterthought in the site planning and shadowing from the towers on the site would likely preclude it being an enjoyable atmosphere. "I hope my impression of this development is wrong," Madoff said.

Does this woman EVER say anything intelligent? Any chance she will be stepping down from council before November?

#80 baconnbits

baconnbits
  • 235 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 11:22 PM

what's happening with the heritage buildings on this site?
i know they are remaining but what are they going to be used for?
i'd hope they will be redone and house a variety of things, retail, artist studios gallerys, office, some light industrial (custom furniture) etc, but in all likelihood im guessing that council decided a great use would be for community uses like halls, seniors centres etc that just do nothing to an area
hopefully im wrong though, i have no idea so if someone could let me k now that'd be great.
also, i agree there is too much green space in the area with the water front and just down the road, but hopefully that extra space is being saved for light rail! or something of the sort

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users