Photo

Wildlife photos in the city

• Please log in to reply
454 replies to this topic

#1 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 05:54 PM

I took this photo yesterday, August the 4th, in My Grandmother's backyard on Tolmie Ave. That's the border between Victoria and Saanich.

• PeeTee likes this

#2 Jarrod

Jarrod
  • 125 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 09:57 PM

wow, he's a young buck!!

LOL

#3 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 38,187 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 01:29 AM

That's a really cool shot.

It amazes me how much wildlife there in fairly urbanized areas. It's probably due to the amount of parkland scattered throughout town that serves as refuge for these animals.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 02:18 AM

I have a contract on lower Douglas street in JamesBay right across from beacon hill park.

There are deer in there now. Park staff said there haven't been deer in the park for the past 60 years. But there are some in there now.

Also the other night I was driving home from OakBay Rec. In the middle of Hillside Mall parking lot there was a Massive Buck, with the larget rack on it. It was midnight.

#5 aastra

aastra
  • 12,860 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 12:32 PM

The coyotes have been holding jamborees in the wee hours where I am. Some sort of coyote convention or something. The first time I heard them I thought it was people calling for help.

#6 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 11,814 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 12:42 PM

I once almost hit a deer on Hillside... I felt bad for it. A mall parking lot has to be pretty unwelcoming for deer too.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#7 HOMBRE

HOMBRE
  • 58 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 01:11 PM

aastra thats the very same thing at my uncles house, mind you his house backs onto burns bog but still, there are alot in stanley park

#8 aastra

aastra
  • 12,860 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 03:52 PM

I've noticed the reports of "out of place" animals are increasing steadily all over Canada and the USA. Methinks wildlife is encroaching on urban areas just as much as urban areas are encroaching on wildlife.

There are literally countless reports of cougars in parts of the USA where the cougar is supposed to be extinct. Officialdom doesn't even want to acknowledge the phenomenon. Black bears are also all over the place all of a sudden.

In actual fact this sort of thing hasn't happened "all of a sudden", deer have been reproducing like rabbits for years and years and various predators like cougars, black bears and even alligators have been gradually returning to their old ranges (in the case of the cougars, because of the deer) over the course of the past several decades.

Heck, alligators have been expanding their natural range, since they're protected now*. Consider this:

Alligators aren’t suppose to be this far north. Nevertheless, the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency has gotten reports of alligator sightings on McKellar Lake, a backwater of the Mississippi just south of Memphis, and at T.O. Fuller State Park, north of the city. Up to five alligators may have been seen, including one said to be close to 7 feet long that was reportedly spotted on a bank beside McKellar Lake. Alligators’ natural range is believed to end south of Tennessee

*EDIT: I see alligators were actually taken off the endangered list back in 1977, although they're still on the protected list, with the status of " threatened due to similarity of appearance". The intention behind this status is not to protect the abundant alligator but rather the endangered American crocodile and the black caiman.

#9 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 06:52 PM

I think when the deer population (Cougar food) starts increasing in large numbers in the burbs, it will draw out predators to the burbs. Since we can't shoot Deer in Langford, Saanich etc, the populations will only increase. I wonder if Wolves will start appearing in places like Bear Mountian, and places that border the forests.

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • 48,134 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 04:35 PM

I saw some chicks and a few cougars at the bar last night.

• todd likes this

#11 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 09:33 PM

I just learned that if a deer gets hit in Saanich and still lives the cops have to finish it off then the fire department has to clean it up.
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

#12 Jarrod

Jarrod
  • 125 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 10:10 PM

Really?! WOW! That would be a disturbing job...but then again they have to deal with dead bodies and such...

I'd take the job...

Anyway, there aren't too many deers up near my parents as they don't cross the Inland otherwise they get hit by vehicals going like 140

#13 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 11:58 PM

Here again off Tolmie Ave.

Is some Animals gone Wild!!!

It is of an Owl and a Squirl going at it.....can you say.....

Dumb Dumb Dumb squirl...Guess who won this fight!!! :shock:

Well you maybe disappointed, in the end my battery died. But another squirl got involved in the action...and after too much antaganation.....The Owl flew off into another Oak Tree.

An amazing thing to see really!!!! Another example of amazing wild life in the Core.

#14 zoomer

zoomer
  • 1,228 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 03 September 2006 - 09:50 AM

wow, that is one giant fat owl!! Probably been snacking on too many squirrels...

I can imagine that the squirrel would not be too impressed have that owl sitting on its turf.

A couple of weeks ago I saw a squirrel walk about 20 yards along a skinny hydro wire! I was worried it would fall down from that great height, but no problem..until it came to the end of the line. There was a tree close by, but it was a bit of a jump..the squirrel waited for a minute or so, trying to figure out what to do..then made a giant leap, grapped onto a flimsy branch with only its two front paws..swung up and down a couple of times while hanging on, then leaped to the rest of the tree. gotta love those squirrels.

#15 aastra

aastra
  • 12,860 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 12:56 PM

I don't think I've ever seen a real live owl in my entire life.

#16 Baro

Baro
  • 4,154 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 02:02 PM

I've seen them chase cats and win!

There used to be an owl by my house, but I havn't seen him much this year. Maybe a squirrel finally got him..
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#17 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 02:06 PM

My camera died on that last photo, the squirl actually got halfway closer to the Owl than that...it was funny. I was waiting for the owl to grab him. But another squirl came running around the tree above the owl and with two of them the OWl took off.

It was really funny to see it and really cool to capture it on camera.

#18 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 12:12 AM

does this count for city limits?

#19 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 01:45 PM

#20 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • 48,134 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 01:51 PM

No tension here:

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users