Photo

Wildlife photos in the city

• Please log in to reply
523 replies to this topic

#481 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 12,481 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 11:16 AM

The wolf previously swam from Discovery to Trial Island and then back to Discovery.

that has not been proven.  also i think you mean discovery and chatham.  not trial.

screenshot-www.google.com-2020.01.27-14_19_13.png

the best thing we can do quite frankly is kill that wolf and open up its brain and study it.  then maybe we'll find out.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 January 2020 - 11:20 AM.

#482 Dr.Doinglittle

Dr.Doinglittle
  • 95 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 01:29 PM

It wasn't reported. I heard this first hand from the park warden at Discovery. The lighthouse keeper at Trial apparently saw the wolf swim over. An amazing feat if true. The tides between those islands are significant.

#483 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 12,481 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 01:46 PM

I heard this first hand from the park warden at Discovery. The lighthouse keeper at Trial apparently saw the wolf swim over. 

1. sometimes when a story is passed from person to person to person the facts get changed.  kids call it the telephone game.

2. some of these lighthouse keepers are very very lonely.  that's a fact.  some have gone downright "stir crazy" in the past.  it's well known that people suffering from stir craziness can make up tall tales.  often involving animals.  that's a common symptom. 

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 January 2020 - 01:48 PM.

#484 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 12,481 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 04:45 PM

his diet was previously 80% seal.  not sure if he'll be so lucky where he is now i guess.  also if he makes it back now to discovery island i'll take it all back about him being not smart enough to figure how to swim back there.

The lone wolf captured in James Bay on Sunday was released into the wild of western Vancouver Island on Monday afternoon.

B.C. Conservation officers said they are now confident it is the same wolf that lived on Discovery Island.

“Although conservation officers believe the wolf swam to the capital, it is not being released on Discovery Island as it left for a reason – the wolf was looking for food or resources, and for the safety of the public and the animal, it was relocated out of the urban environment,” said the B.C. Conservation Officer Service on Monday.

https://www.vicnews....ncouver-island/

"it left for a reason".  lol.  food or "resources".  what other resources was it looking for?  i don't doubt it might be nice to find a mate!  if it hasn't forgotten how to do it.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 January 2020 - 04:46 PM.

#485 jasmineshinga

jasmineshinga
  • 287 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 11:48 AM

I do wonder if relocating the wolf from his familiar hunting grounds to a new territory is the right move, after all his hunting technique has adapted to an aquatic diet (seals, etc.) - and now he'll have to deal with far more human encounters (living closer to us).

Would it not have been kinder to find a female in an over-saturated territory and remove her to the island? Or did conservation officers not want to make the trip to Discovery?

~ Jasmine ~

#486 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 12,481 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 11:57 AM

bc is culling wolves in other parts of the province.  so it's a bit of a foolish shell game anyway.

Wolves are being killed near four caribou herds in the Peace region. Three of those areas have had active wolf management since 2015.

Since then, 480 wolves have been shot by contractors hired by the province, according to the B.C.'s Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resources.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...-cull-1.4915683

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 January 2020 - 11:58 AM.

#487 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 12,280 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 12:11 PM

Would it not have been kinder to find a female in an over-saturated territory and remove her to the island? Or did conservation officers not want to make the trip to Discovery?

I think it would be prudent to talk over this idea with the female wolf first.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

"[Randall's] aesthetic poll was more accurate than his political acumen"

-Tom Hawthorne, Toronto Globe and Mail

#488 jasmineshinga

jasmineshinga
  • 287 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 12:42 PM

bc is culling wolves in other parts of the province.  so it's a bit of a foolish shell game anyway.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...-cull-1.4915683

That was sort of my point, we've an uneven distribution of wolves across available territories. If we're going to meddle, I'd prefer we did so with the animal's long term welfare in mind rather than just our comfort.

But then, I'd be happy to see the Peace region reclaimed by wildlife. A pox upon it! *bites thumb*

~ Jasmine ~

#489 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 12,481 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 07:11 AM

good story:

This is the stuff of Victoria folklore, one of those stories that gets dredged up whenever wildlife strays into the heart of the city, as that lone wolf did last week. Remember the time that cougar broke into that basement suite?

https://www.timescol...oset-1.24063619

#490 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 55,339 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 10:36 AM

Funny thing is, this wolf may have frequently visited the city over the eight years it lived on the island. Swims up in the late evening, hunts down a cat or two, swims back the next morning, eats a seal. We saw it this time and the hunt was on.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#491 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 12,481 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 10:52 AM

Funny thing is, this wolf may have frequently visited the city over the eight years it lived on the island. Swims up in the late evening, hunts down a cat or two, swims back the next morning, eats a seal. 

i find this hard to believe.  

#492 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 55,339 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 10:59 AM

Why? You can island hop the whole way there, there are dozens and dozens of little isles. At low tide it's even easier.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#493 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 12,481 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 11:18 AM

Why? You can island hop the whole way there, there are dozens and dozens of little isles. At low tide it's even easier.

because canines are not that smart.  to navigate.  it likely can not even see the islands from the shore.  there is no way it can figure out how to get there regularly via ocean.  or even have the cognitive skills to know that's his island even if he could see it.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 29 January 2020 - 11:19 AM.

#494 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 55,339 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 11:21 AM

Yeah, true.

Know it all.

#495 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 12,481 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 11:24 AM

because canines are not that smart.  to navigate.  it likely can not even see the islands from the shore.  there is no way it can figure out how to get there regularly via ocean.  or even have the cognitive skills to know that's his island even if he could see it.

the average victorian can not accurately name more than a single island as he travels through active pass.  and almost all are smarter than a wolf.

#496 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 08:56 PM

Some very sad news for those who had a bit of their heart captured by Takaya and his story.

Reports from BC Conservation officials that he was killed by a trophy hunter. Confirmed it was him via his tag.

https://twitter.com/...998549870067712

#497 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 12,481 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 03:15 AM

that'll teach him for leaving that island.

all sarcasm aside it shows how silly we are here in british columbia sometimes.  we spend hundreds of dollars to put just one deer on birth control only to have her get impaled on a fence post or hit by a car in oak bay 3 weeks later, all the while in other parts of the province just miles away they are hunted and killed by the thousands.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 March 2020 - 03:19 AM.

#498 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 4,393 posts
  • LocationGorge-Selkirk

Posted 26 March 2020 - 10:16 AM

Some very sad news for those who had a bit of their heart captured by Takaya and his story.

Reports from BC Conservation officials that he was killed by a trophy hunter. Confirmed it was him via his tag.

https://twitter.com/...998549870067712

Sometimes I think I'd love to live in a world where "game" animals could shoot back at people. Maybe it would help out in culling the more witless, brainless yard apes in the human gene pool....

• SimonH likes this

#499 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 12,481 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 01:16 PM

“trophy hunts” are government sanctioned and are used to control overpopulations or to protect other threatened species. fees from hunting licences go toward wildlife preservation and management efforts.

if we don’t kill wolves you are going to lose marmots. tough choice, right?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 March 2020 - 01:16 PM.

#500 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 4,393 posts
  • LocationGorge-Selkirk

Posted 26 March 2020 - 01:54 PM

We do not have a wolf overpopulation issue on Vancouver Island. In fact we have a sub species of the grey wolf that is unique to the north end of VI that is considered by federal biologists to be endangered. Its diet BTW overwhelmingly consists of seafood, not marmots. In all my years camping and fishing from one end of the island to the other I've seen a wolf exactly once, on a beach and a long way from the alpine altitudes where marmots live.

And this was certainly no government sanctioned "cull", particularly after CO's went to the trouble of relocating this animal from its recent nocturnal adventure in James Bay a few weeks ago. Pretty obviously it was some buckaroo d***head probably trying to compensate for having a lack of something somewhere else.

Wolves are not an issue on the island, nor are they a species like deer for example, that some people hunt for food. Humans are a far bigger problem for the island ecosystem than is a single wolf - or any other animal for that matter. Its garbage like this that makes me wish sometimes for the alien overlords to show up and give humans a good ***** slap across the chops. It really does make me wonder if as a species we'll ever grow up.

Edited by AllseeingEye, 26 March 2020 - 01:55 PM.

• todd likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users