Photo

Downtown Litter?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 valleyflyfisher

valleyflyfisher
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 04:11 PM

Hi folks...I was downtown today and I can honestly say that I have never seen so much litter laying about, it was as if there had been a street party on Government Street last night...or maybe there was and I just missed it? :lol:

Is there no street cleaning done on weekends?

#2 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 04:21 PM

I remarked on this myself as I walked along Government Street around 8:30 am and back along there just past noon..

Between the starbucks napkins, the little wrappers for the cultlery "rollmops" from the Irish Times and inidentified food wapping, it looked unusual, as if a dumpster had been overturned..

BTW.. I see that Earls and Jelly Fish have applied for later opening than they already have...

#3 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,188 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 04:28 PM

I've seen people make quite the mess as they rummage through the trash looking for bottles and cans.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 05:19 PM

BFI doesn't pick up on weekends (or holidays), so dumpsters start overflowing. Add to that binners and those rats of the sky ....Seagulls!
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#5 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 05:25 PM

"Who, me?!"

The solution is to have one of these on every block:

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 05:35 PM

^ :lol:
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#7 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 06:19 PM

Litter is one of my pet peeves where I can get angry enough to actually confront someone. Sometimes I wish I was a super hero with the ability to touch garbage and get a flash-back to the last person to touch the garbage. I'd hunt them down and hide the garbage in their fridge ,bed or lungs.

Sounds like a good tv show!
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#8 josephelopod

josephelopod
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 06:26 PM

<GarbageMan> my garbage sense is tingling! to the bfi container!

#9 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 06:34 PM

Interestingly... there's still litter stuck to the sidewalks on Government between Fort and Broughton... and lots of accumulated brown tree scales blown into the ICBC building steps..

but, there are stores which have clear sidewalks and others that aren't.. guess some of the shopkeepers didn't wait around for the City to clean.. and oters are waiting..

#10 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 10:54 PM

Does anyone know what BFI stands for? I went to their website and searched online everywhere but I can't find out. It's driving me nuts.

#11 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 11:25 PM

Browning-Ferris Industries.

When they tried to break into the organized crime-ridden New York garbage business in the early 90s, a local BFI manager found on his front yard the severed head of a German Shepherd with a note in its mouth that read "Welcome to New York."

Around the same time Laidlaw was punished for tactics like intimidating Vancouver Island customers into signing 10 year contracts.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#12 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 10:12 AM

Wow, that's some old school gangsta **** right up in there.

iv'e been wondering about bfi since I was a tiny child! I knew it was going to be a name + industries or incorporated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users