BUILT
The Sawyer Block
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 840 Fort Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 6
The Sawyer Block is a six-storey purpose-built rental complex with nearly 900 square feet of ground floor comm... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Sawyer Block on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] The Sawyer (formerly The George) | Rentals; commercial space | 6-storeys | Built - completed in 2020

Rental Commercial

• Please log in to reply
174 replies to this topic

#101 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 09:00 PM

It's all good :)

• viccity likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#102 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 07:27 AM

I do wonder why this particular site has taken so long to develop... I know that they were going to do condos at one point and had hired "The Condo Group" to market/sell. 

#103 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 03:58 PM

Marketing has begun for this project, which means construction may start soon.

The building is now called The George.

Additional information is at the project website: http://thegeorgeliving.ca
  • Mr Cook Street likes this

#104 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 04:02 PM

Marketing has begun for this project, which means construction may start soon.

The building is now called The George.

Additional information is at the project website: http://thegeorgeliving.ca

Welcome to the George, reshaping and rethinking rental spaces in the downtown core. The George is revolutionizing the living experience for urban renters with professionally designed spaces that are practical and beautiful. Offering lifestyle-relevant services, incredible amenity spaces, and unique community engagement opportunities through curated social events completing a whole lifestyle experience. A connected life is living beyond four walls, its about engagement and experience. The George delivers; a great neighborhood, with work and play at your door step.

Whatever, don't overthink it, George.

Just rent the damn apartments.

• zoomer, Rob Randall and Nparker like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#105 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 04:27 PM

This is a typical case of Victoria under-build. The location could easily accommodate a building twice as tall (perhaps stepped back on the top couple of floors) and house at least 100 people.

Capture.JPG

Yet in true Victoria fashion we're getting 5 floors - and people wonder why we have such a dismal vacancy rate and expensive housing.

#106 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 04:47 PM

Has this project stalled (again)? It appears that limited or no activity is underway at this site...

#107 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 08:10 PM

I agree Kapten. 

The signs for it went up last summer. Maybe they are changing the inside like was mentioned at Customs House?

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#108 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 09:01 AM

Anything happening here?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#109 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 09:20 AM

Between the dead website and a total lack of movement on the site...never a good sign.

#110 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 09:29 AM

As an aside, the Development Tracker is showing that this project was re-submitted on October 27, 2016 under a new name. Here's the plans.

Apparently this development is now called "The Sawyer".

sawyer.jpg

#111 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 09:34 AM

Interesting. It was originally called The Sawyer, too. Then it sat untouched for years, then it become known as George, and now it's back as The Sawyer?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#112 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 09:36 AM

I like the touches of red.

#113 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 March 2017 - 10:07 AM

Looks pretty nice. Another microsuite building (mostly ~240-330 sq ft), this one with no vehicle parking.

There's one 1-bedroom unit on the 2nd floor (also the only one above 400 sq ft), all the rest have murphy beds in the main room. Not sure what the creative marketing term for that setup is yet.

#114 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 10:11 AM

This project is progressing at the same rate as the Roundhouse (I can't compare it to Colwood Corners because at least that project had excavation and some of the parkade poured)...

#115 DougG

DougG
  • 45 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 04:24 PM

I think the next project slated for this site will be called The Godot.

• VicHockeyFan and Nparker like this

#116 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 05:03 PM

I see what you did there.  ;)

#117 waiting for janion

waiting for janion
  • 17 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 11:28 AM

I see what you did there.  ;)

I see what you did there.

#118 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 01:30 PM

Any update on this?

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#119 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 01:40 PM

Nadda. Last time I phoned and emailed the folks behind this project I got nowhere.

Know it all.

#120 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 10 August 2017 - 01:49 PM

Dev Tracker says revised plans were received in May. From what I can see, the only "revisions" are new setback measurements and greater detail on the future Fort Street bike lane, nothing to the actual building itself. CoV provided comments on July 20, and it's back with the applicant. So a bit of a runaround, it looks like :/

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users