Amalgamation of Victoria municipalities

• Please log in to reply
2247 replies to this topic

#2201 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,166 posts

Posted 24 March 2022 - 01:25 PM

The province spends $175 million per day.

$250,000 to the province is the same financial impact as you dropping a nickel when pulling out a wad of hundreds.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2202 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,236 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 24 March 2022 - 02:46 PM

It's an 'investment' in order to say they did something. They 'tried'. This will go nowhere, just like the last 10 times.

#2203 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 24 March 2022 - 06:24 PM

If they wanted to stay away why throw 250k into the kitty.

Saanich Council isn't the citizens of Saanich ... with their votes required for amalgamation.

#2204 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 24 March 2022 - 07:30 PM

You can vote as often as you like in that poll, so get clicking.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#2205 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,302 posts

Posted 25 March 2022 - 06:40 AM

On amalgamation, it might make good sense for Saanich to absorb View Royal.   They get a new fire station for that side of the new municipality and VR does not have to increase to 7 council members, they can close the hall.

I did a Google search for Saanich just now, and this came up.  I guess it's showing me downtown Saanich?

You would not wish that downtown on your worst municipal enemy.  But here we are.  

I call again on Saanich to radically change Cadboro Bay Village.   And make it awesome.  Rezone all this housing (arrows) to allow for commercial over time, a few pubs etc.  Add extra parking (P).  Fix the boring field and make it gardens etc.  $2 mini-golf course.  Some type of water park feature.  Band shell.  Hot dogs and ice cream stands at the beach.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 March 2022 - 06:48 AM.

#2206 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 25 March 2022 - 06:55 AM

I think you'll find that those fields have historically flooded every year, to the point of being considered "wetlands".

They certainly flooded each winter when I was a kid in the area, and still flood quite severely today.

I imagine they'd have to be left untouched? ... but a more developed Cadboro Bay Village would certainly be very successful with a built in audience of local residents and some 22,000 UVIC students a 10 minute walk away.

#2207 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,302 posts

Posted 25 March 2022 - 06:59 AM

Have we invented pumps and fill yet? The Netherlands used to flood but they fixed it.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 March 2022 - 07:00 AM.

• Mike K. likes this

#2208 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 25 March 2022 - 07:19 AM

It's not that we couldn't fix it from a technical point of view ... but I've long been under the impression that local and regional government almost religiously leave wetlands alone when it comes to development?

• Daveyboy likes this

#2209 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,302 posts

Posted 25 March 2022 - 07:46 AM

It's not that we couldn't fix it from a technical point of view ... but I've long been under the impression that local and regional government almost religiously leave wetlands alone when it comes to development?

Boooooooooring.  

Imagine if Venice did that back in 580 AD.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 March 2022 - 07:46 AM.

#2210 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 25 March 2022 - 08:57 AM

I, along with all of my neighbours here in Saanich (the ones I've talked to) will most definitely vote "NO" on any form of amalgamation with Victoria.

There was a time not too long ago that I was in favour of amalgamation, but the reality is that for me (and I suspect many others in the region) any alignment with the City of Victoria has been completely derailed by the multi-year antics of Helps and her band of Councillors over those same years.

The issue with amalgamation involving the COV is that, even with a different, post-Helps city government, the issues and problems that Helps and friends created will take years (if not decades) to actually fix.

The cost of fixing those problems will likely be shocking when the final tally is examined a decade or so from now. 

The concept of amalgamating with the COV, and suddenly inheriting all of those costs, issues and problems is one that, I suspect, will completely derail any efforts at amalgamation in the region.

Any potential for amalgamation has been destroyed by the never-ending antics of the COV government of Helps, Loveday, Isitt, Dubow, Potts, and a few of the other "flexible" policy Councillors who have occupied City Hall over the past decade or so.

YES, YES, YES, YES!!!!  

I was also a huge fan of amalgamation about 10 or so years ago.  Why would I now voluntarily join the social and financial sh!tshow that the CoV has become?

• Nparker, Love the rock, On the Level and 2 others like this
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#2211 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,394 posts

Posted 25 March 2022 - 09:06 AM

Perhaps Saanich could just annex the 900 block of North Park Street.

#2212 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 25 March 2022 - 09:26 AM

It is funny that the outer ends of the left and the right don't want amalgamation. I remain hopeful that common sense and the silent majority will prevail but it is unlikely with special interests at both ends opposed. Likely the only thing that will unite truck driving suburbanites and the bike lobby is anti-amalgamation. I wonder why that is?

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#2213 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 25 March 2022 - 10:08 AM

It is funny that the outer ends of the left and the right don't want amalgamation.

This makes little sense, as I'm a hard centrist, venturing left or right on a few specific issues, but generally sporting socially conscious, but very pro-business, pro-capitalist, pro-taxpayer politics.

Maybe I missed your point?

#2214 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 25 March 2022 - 10:19 AM

I wasn't speaking to anyone in particular. I was just making the observation of what I have seen on social media indicates that those with left leaning or right leaning politics are opposed to amalgamation and it is the centrist quiet majority that likely supports it as is shown in election after election questions and even again in the poll that Vic Watcher posted which was at almost 60% in favour last I looked.  

It has a whole new look!

#2215 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 25 March 2022 - 11:05 AM

On amalgamation, it might make good sense for Saanich to absorb View Royal.   They get a new fire station for that side of the new municipality and VR does not have to increase to 7 council members, they can close the hall.

I wouldn't consider Munn road or the old island highway to be part of downtown.  Perhaps the far right sliver east of Helmcken?  If there is ever going to be amalgamation, I just can't see the Westshore or Sidney being part of it.

Attached Images

• VR.JPG

#2216 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 25 March 2022 - 12:48 PM

Definitely not I would think it should be at least three separate munis. Core, Saanich Peninsula and Core Victoria. I would also slice all of the farm land off of Saanich and make it part of the Peninsula.

It has a whole new look!

#2217 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,166 posts

Posted 25 March 2022 - 12:48 PM

It is funny that the outer ends of the left and the right don't want amalgamation. I remain hopeful that common sense and the silent majority will prevail but it is unlikely with special interests at both ends opposed. Likely the only thing that will unite truck driving suburbanites and the bike lobby is anti-amalgamation. I wonder why that is?

I wasn't aware the bike lobby is against amalgamation. I thought they were very much for it.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2218 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 25 March 2022 - 02:22 PM

I wasn't speaking to anyone in particular. I was just making the observation of what I have seen on social media indicates that those with left leaning or right leaning politics are opposed to amalgamation and it is the centrist quiet majority that likely supports it as is shown in election after election questions and even again in the poll that Vic Watcher posted which was at almost 60% in favour last I looked.  

That's what I'm saying  ... I'm a lifelong centrist, but I wouldn't even consider amalgamation if the City of Victoria was involved.

As for the poll, these random, unmoderated internet polls are kind of pointless ... maybe it's only been seen by pro-amalgamation folks, or maybe it's only been responded to by pro-amalgamation folks ... either way, it's not how you undertake an accurate poll.

• Love the rock and Barrrister like this

#2219 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,166 posts

Posted 26 March 2022 - 02:24 AM

If there was support, they would have asked via referendum, I think. But since they’re not asking, and establishing the citizen’s panel after the election, that perhaps indicates that support is weak, and they have to figure out a way to garner it at levels sufficient enough to make a go of it.

Now since this is going to be highly political expect a lot of placating themes to emerge and very nice discussions to be had, but it won’t go anywhere as far as sharing political jurisdiction is concerned.

Know it all.

#2220 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,302 posts

Posted 26 March 2022 - 02:35 AM

Who decided that this "citizens assembly" was the best way to move forward?

It did not work in Duncan.

To me it just seems lie a delay tactic so the current politicians can get a long run in before the positions are potentially eliminated.  Or it's designed to bring the result that ends in a no vote like Duncan.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users