Amalgamation of Victoria municipalities

• Please log in to reply
2247 replies to this topic

#1801 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 09:16 AM

What’s the number of participants?

You'd have to check the poll. I am not sure that info is given.

#1802 VPO

VPO
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 08:56 PM

Then you end up with the mess that is the City of Montreal. Westmount is basically the Oak Bay of Montreal.

Montreal2006.png

Wow. Completely,100% off base. Westmount was the proplem? Haha. whilwe ignoring all the other municipalities that pulled out, many through bitter prior experience. The problem wasn't Westmount, it was excessive taxation and a relative lack of representation.

#1803 VPO

VPO
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 09:19 PM

The issue can only be resolved by an organic glomping of mutual municipal interests. It has to be done organically. Victoria should not be driving this, why should they be charge? They have proven inadequate by every measure, to govern anything, its not in Victoria's political interest to do so. Its not Oak Bay that should join Victoria, its Farifield/Gonzalez that should join Oak Bay and Gordon head, Vic West should join Esquimalt, and both could join Colwood and Langford. Once thats done, and Victoria City counsel is neutered, then, and only then, can a coalition happen. Victoria (pop 80,000) has a disproportionate amount of power in the current equation, until that changes, nothing changes. Amalgamation is not going to come from Victoria.

#1804 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 09:58 AM

So looking past some of the other disappointing results, the amalgamation ballot question passed by a large margin in both Saanich and Victoria. Close to 35000 people voted in support of it across both munis. So when does the work get started? One would hope that if their work is done in a year's time that they will not wait till the next election to put the vote to both cities. 

• tedward likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#1805 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 10:01 AM

helps has a timeline.  1 year for work.  1 year to explain it and for people to vote.  if the vote is positive then the 2022 election is for one mayor and council.

#1806 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 11:45 AM

helps has a timeline. 1 year for work. 1 year to explain it and for people to vote. if the vote is positive then the 2022 election is for one mayor and council.

Supposing it happens and saanich and Victoria do merge, do you think other munis such as oak bay and esquimalt would then have their own referendums on joining as well?

#1807 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 01:01 PM

Supposing it happens and saanich and Victoria do merge, do you think other munis such as oak bay and esquimalt would then have their own referendums on joining as well?

Why would any municipality want to merge with Victoria?   Oak Bay merging with Saanich would be more realistic.

• LJ, pennymurphy2000 and tjv like this

#1808 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 03:22 PM

They could. I think that Esquimalt likely would join but Oak Bay never will.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#1809 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 03:02 PM

Oh, brother.

This panel will return with an ambiguous result that will show positives and negatives from both sides of the equation, and through the perspective of both Saanich and Victoria. In the end it will require further study. The only way this region will see amalgamation after decades of creating municipalities is if the province forces it. I predict that before we see any two munis amalgamate we'll see a 14th municipality appear (place bets now: East Sooke; Otter Point; Shirley).

We might even see portions of municipalities split, for gosh sake.

• Nparker and nerka like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1810 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 03:33 PM

...In the end it will require further study...

To be fair, studying things to death is what our region does best. Coho Terminal? Ogden Point? Ship Point and adjacent parking lots? All virtually unchanged in the 4 decades I have lived in the region. I have exactly zero hope of any real amalgamation in my lifetime.

#1811 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 03:35 PM

Proud to be part of the "Amalgamation No" Club

#1812 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 03:37 PM

Proud to be part of the "Amalgamation No" Club

Amalgamation No/Amalgamation Yes...it doesn't matter the result will be exactly the same.

#1813 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 22 October 2018 - 03:41 PM

Amalgamation No/Amalgamation Yes...it doesn't matter the result will be exactly the same.

I prefer "Amalgamation Now, (Insanity Later)"

• Bernard likes this

#1814 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 22 October 2018 - 04:16 PM

If Oak Bay, View Royal, Colwood and Esquimalt make sense financially, I think that if amalgamation does not go ahead Saanich should split itself into 10 to 12 new municipalities.   People keep telling me that a large municipality like Saanich can not be more cost-effective than a small one so we should move in that direction.   I would love to see 10 more fire departments and 10 more police forces.  

Next, without amalgamation happening in this region, we really should ensure that municipal boundaries always split properties in two.   Since Victoria and Oak Bay seem to think that splitting houses up between them why not do that everywhere?

If we are going to continue avoiding rational and better quality local governance by not amalgamating, let's go crazy with it and have some real fun with it.    Let's make people elsewhere really shake their heads at how stupid we can be!  

• Nparker, tedward, lanforod and 1 other like this

#1815 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 22 October 2018 - 04:19 PM

On serious note, I have never heard anyone give one good justification why the current municipal boundaries are a good idea.  I would love to hear anyone defend the current boundaries

• tedward likes this

#1816 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 04:24 PM

I would be willing to bet you that residents of rural Saanich want about as much to do with east Saanich as Highlands does with Langford.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1817 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 04:29 PM

I don't think the result will be exactly the same, because when you Amalgamate you get less representation.  Less people having input and say into how a municipality runs and operates, and the decisions that it makes and votes on. I believe amalgamation would lead to more options for internal corruption to take place, as all the power is transferred to one mayor and one council. It is  a step that creates a situation where less and less input and validation from the constituency is permitted or heard. Having more people in power representing smaller groups  instead of one larger one allows more voices to be heard and promotes democracy on a larger scale and makes it harder for Corruption to take foot.  That's how I see it.

#1818 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 22 October 2018 - 04:30 PM

I would be willing to bet you that residents of rural Saanich want about as much to do with east Saanich as Highlands does with Langford.

I would disagree, the people in the Highlands all love sending their kids to school in Langford and shopping at all the big box stores.  Highlands acts a heritage community for Langford, it is the preserved part of Dogpatch.   The Highlands is not providing people with what they need and expect others to deal with.   I say it is time for Saanich and Langford to dead end the roads leading into the Highlands

Honestly, rural Saanich is already more of a legitimate municipality than the Highlands are.    

#1819 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 22 October 2018 - 04:31 PM

I don't think the result will be exactly the same, because when you Amalgamate you get less representation.  Less people having input and say into how a municipality runs and operates, and the decisions that it makes and votes on. I believe amalgamation would lead to more options for internal corruption to take place, as all the power is transferred to one mayor and one council. It is  a step that creates a situation where less and less input and validation from the constituency is permitted or heard. Having more people in power representing smaller groups  instead of one larger one allows more voices to be heard and promotes democracy on a larger scale and makes it harder for Corruption to take foot.  That's how I see it.

So you would support creating 10 to 12 municipalities out of Saanich?   Make 8-10 out of Victoria?   

• Nparker and nerka like this

#1820 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 04:32 PM

So you would support creating 10 to 12 municipalities out of Saanich?   Make 8-10 out of Victoria?   

No, I think the way we have it right now is just about PERFECT

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users