Photo

Amalgamation of Victoria municipalities

• Please log in to reply
2247 replies to this topic

#1921 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 04:51 PM

And by that reasoning there is very little point in talking about amalgamation at all. Perhaps the mods should lock this thread and throw away the key.

Help is spearheading another "Citizens Assembly" so there will be lots to talk about.  What will the new city be called?

#1922 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 04:52 PM

...What will the new city be called?

Cities. Saanich and Victoria; the latter eventually becoming Camosack.

#1923 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 05:10 PM

Biketoria?

#1924 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 07:19 PM

Slumtoria.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1925 AnAndrew

AnAndrew
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 October 2018 - 10:46 AM

What will the new city be called?

My bet would be that it stays "Victoria."

I found it interesting that Abbotsford was actually the smaller of the two in the Abbotsford-Matsqui merger yet that's the name that stayed. I presume that's just how residents identified. Outside the CRD, Saanich residents say they are from Victoria.

Edited by AnAndrew, 27 October 2018 - 10:46 AM.

#1926 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 27 October 2018 - 10:50 AM

Slumtoria.

Saanitoria-um.

• Nparker and nerka like this

#1927 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 27 October 2018 - 11:26 AM

Getting "Victoria" out of Victoria is a core value in de-colonization.

#1928 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 27 October 2018 - 06:55 PM

The province can do a lot if they change the laws but the current law clearly states the province can not do it.   Changing a portion of a law like this has political repercussions.  Also, since the mid 1970s it has been the policy of all BC governments to not force amalgamation

In virtually every parliament laws are changed and new laws are written. Changing the law isn't the issue.  Political repercussions are the issue. Forced amalgamation would be a big political loser IMO.

Besides if you are going to mess with the Community Charter and piss people off why not do something radical.  I say amalgamate the whole CRD and appoint Isitt as mayor for life.

• rjag likes this

#1929 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 27 October 2018 - 09:38 PM

Several posts have been removed in relation to a comment regarding Councillor Isitt.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1930 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 27 October 2018 - 09:59 PM

Several posts have been removed in relation to a comment regarding Councillor Isitt.

:muching_out:

#1931 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 09:25 AM

Given that it involved a credible threat of violence, I also hope VicPD were notified. I am fully serious on that.

• David Bratzer and 57WestHills like this

#1932 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 09:52 PM

As much as we all seem to dislike Isitt, there is absolutely nothing that warrants a call to violent action against our elected representatives.

• rmpeers likes this

#1933 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 29 October 2018 - 08:57 AM

So the general consensus on VV that amalgamation is a dead issue has every chance of being correct.

This is the same VV that came to the general consensus that Helps was un-electable and Issit was in danger of losing his seat? 

LOL

• Coreyburger likes this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#1934 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 29 October 2018 - 09:02 AM

This is the same VV that came to the general consensus that Helps was un-electable and Issit was in danger of losing his seat? 

LOL

I doubt you will find much in the way of Isitt being in danger of losing his seat on these forums. Helps is tainted, her machine succeeded in making her lack of concern for female members of VicPD being sexually assaulted as being not a big deal...

Edited by rjag, 29 October 2018 - 09:02 AM.

• rmpeers likes this

#1935 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 09:05 AM

JSB referendum predictions, too.

#1936 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 09:05 AM

LOL

If the vote had not been split to the degree that it was by Geoghegan, I suspect Helps' win would have been a far greater challenge than it turned out to be. 56% of the electorate voted against the mayor. In 2014 62% voted against her.

• rmpeers likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1937 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 09:14 AM

LOL

Re. Helps, I think it was a case for a lot of us that we assumed that in the face of revelations re Elsner that made her llook very bad, putting self-preservation ahead of supporting victims, etc, it was assumed that voters would correctly view that as someone who should not be re-elected.

But they didn't count on: voter ignorance and/or misunderstanding of the facts re Elsner; the failure of the TC and other media to objectively report the facts; and the well organized Helps campaign machine.

#1938 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 10:47 AM

I think they're doing development in a mixed style and along pre-1950's lines, rather than continuing the suburban thing.  You have density going in along the Goldstream corridor, a fair number of townhouses and such, and some detached homes, because they have space and room to grow still.  But even the detached homes are fairly close together, and from what I can see are being designed around commerce hubs, rather than just being straight up havens from the urban poor that suburban developments were.  Heck, given home prices in Victoria, it might be more likely that the urban poor are moving out to Langford because it's marginally more affordable.

In any case, I would expect any amalgamation to result in Colford/Langwood shifting to an urban corridor model of development.

The West Hills is more LA than anything. You aren't walking anywhere there. They need to stop with the strip malls everywhere and build some more urban villages where the parking is say behind the stores the stores are clustered close together so you go to the village and only drive once.... 

#1939 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 10:55 AM

The West Hills is more LA than anything. You aren't walking anywhere there. They need to stop with the strip malls everywhere and build some more urban villages where the parking is say behind the stores the stores are clustered close together so you go to the village and only drive once....

You've got the Westhills concept backwards.

The community is clustered around a future commercial district that will be very Yaletown-like in its execution. The SFD areas will be a maximum ten minute walk (give or take from the furthest perimeter of the development) from this commercial node comprised of several acres and highrise towers with retail/commercial at-grade and on lower floors.

Know it all.

#1940 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 11:00 AM

If the vote had not been split to the degree that it was by Geoghegan, I suspect Helps' win would have been a far greater challenge than it turned out to be. 56% of the electorate voted against the mayor. In 2014 62% voted against her.

Am I missing something here? Only 43.5% of the electorate voted.

https://www.victoria...al-results.html

https://www.merriam-...nary/electorate

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users