Photo

Amalgamation of Victoria municipalities

• Please log in to reply
2247 replies to this topic

#1961 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,734 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 11:44 AM

I am starting to feel the same way Midnightly.

#1962 aastra

aastra
  • 20,749 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 11:45 AM

...you participate in a forum called "Vibrant Victoria", not "Liveable Langford".

With good reason. The guy who runs LL is a patronizing punk and the forumers over there wouldn't appreciate a clever play on words if you paid them.

• Nparker and Bernard like this

#1963 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 30 October 2018 - 12:13 PM

And sadly the neighbourhoods loudly objected during the last OCP development - that lack of commercial was identified and they wanted to create some commericial land use right at Cedar Hill X Rd and Henderson - speifically the gravel parking lot that the baptist church owns.

That gravel spot is a great location for some type of mixed use with multi floor residential. Really not a destination location for retail or franchise fast food but perhaps a medical office/physio/coffee shop etc with 3-4 floors of residential above. I've lived close to there since 1998 and havent ever seen any discussion about that location apart from the OCP. But then again there was a fair bit of discussion over the 5 acre dog park further down the road and possibly putting up more Uni buildings....that did have loads of opposition

#1964 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 30 October 2018 - 12:24 PM

Ultimately the big problem for much of Oak Bay is that their natural urban villages are in Oak Bay or straddle the border.    Fort and Foul Bay should really be a major urban village but Victoria and Oak Bay do not cooperate in developing it.   Foul Bay at around Neil has a couple of stores but could be a good urban village.  Oak Bay ave is not planned in common between Victoria and Oak Bay

The majority of the Oak Bay population lives within 500 metres of Victoria or Saanich but Oak Bay does no cooperative planning.

#1965 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,734 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 12:38 PM

...The majority of the Oak Bay population lives within 500 metres of Victoria or Saanich but Oak Bay does no cooperative planning.

Which is probably why OB should be amalgamated with another city.

#1966 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 30 October 2018 - 12:45 PM

I personally think Oak Bay, North Saanich, View Royal, Highlands, and Metchosin all serve no useful purpose for governance and should never have existed.    Oak Bay exists because the City of Victoria refused to expand the boundaries of the city to take in Oak Bay because the council thought it would be too expensive to provide them with services

• Nparker and tedward like this

#1967 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 12:49 PM

Back in the day Rattenbury, Maclure, and other leading lights of Oak Bay petitioned Victoria to bring Oak Bay within its boundaries. Victoria said no. Bad mistake.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#1968 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 30 October 2018 - 01:03 PM

Back in the day Rattenbury, Maclure, and other leading lights of Oak Bay petitioned Victoria to bring Oak Bay within its boundaries. Victoria said no. Bad mistake.

I would like to retroactively sue the city government of the day

• Nparker likes this

#1969 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 06:53 AM

I don’t want to pay for their infra debt. No thanks.

#1970 PraiseKek

PraiseKek
  • Validating
  • 415 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 07:33 AM

Yet you participate in a forum called "Vibrant Victoria", not "Liveable Langford". Perhaps you need to start something along the lines of the latter so others can post their dislike of the west shore there.

I do pine for the days when the core wasn't a traffic snarled crime ridden rat's nest for sure

#1971 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 07:52 AM

Ultimately the big problem for much of Oak Bay is that their natural urban villages are in Oak Bay or straddle the border. .  Oak Bay ave is not planned in common between Victoria and Oak Bay

Which is why the Oak Bay Village is still a village with some appeal that is not matched elsewhere,

Go to the Classic Car Show, the Tea Party parade, or Lights Up, or the Wednesday Night Fairs in the summer.

Leave it alone!

#1972 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,734 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 09:47 AM

To all VV members and guests.

Several days ago I made a comment in this thread that crossed the line of appropriateness. I want to offer my sincerest apologies to everyone who was offended by this remark and I promise I will more carefully consider my words in any future posts I make.

• Hotel Mike and nerka like this

#1973 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,734 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 02:20 PM

Another stumbling block in the road to amalgamation

...an official with the Ministry of Municipal affairs and Housing confirmed that the ball now lies with the two municipalities to submit a joint proposal for a citizens’ assembly. Only then will the province be able to provide funding...This statement also confirmed the possibility that the province’s contribution might be less than $250,000 as it did not include a specific figure...

https://www.vicnews....gamation-study/

#1974 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 04:02 PM

I personally think Oak Bay, North Saanich, View Royal, Highlands, and Metchosin all serve no useful purpose for governance and should never have existed.    Oak Bay exists because the City of Victoria refused to expand the boundaries of the city to take in Oak Bay because the council thought it would be too expensive to provide them with services

Kind of ironic because the CoV is a toxic waste dump (compared to Oak Bay) where more and more people are avoiding downtown, while Oak Bay is a paradise full of expensive homes.  Hmmmmmmmm makes you think what OB did right and CoV failed in

Edited by tjv, 24 January 2019 - 04:07 PM.

#1975 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,734 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 04:09 PM

...Oak Bay is a paradise full of expensive homes...

With a higher than average per capita of multiple murders committed by family members.

#1976 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 05:27 PM

more and more people are avoiding downtown

index.jpg

• Nparker, Matt R., Greg and 3 others like this

#1977 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 05:48 PM

With a higher than average per capita of multiple murders committed by family members.

Official stats please.  Here is one with back up, the City of Victoria is ranked at the 30th most dangerous place in Canada (Saanich is 118, oak bay is 212th)

https://www.macleans...ngerous-places/

Take away thousands of parking spots, add thousands of drug dealers and homeless people and people want to go down there?  3 people in the last page here said they try to avoid downtown.  A lot of people I know avoid downtown at all costs in recent years

Don't forget to bring your reusable bag when you do go thou.  Its important because you have to do your part to make up for the trash and needles and broken alcohol bottles left my CoV "residents"

• sdwright.vic likes this

#1978 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 06:17 PM

Official stats please.  Here is one with back up, the City of Victoria is ranked at the 30th most dangerous place in Canada (Saanich is 118, oak bay is 212th)

Take away thousands of parking spots, add thousands of drug dealers and homeless people and people want to go down there?  3 people in the last page here said they try to avoid downtown.  A lot of people I know avoid downtown at all costs in recent years

Don't forget to bring your reusable bag when you do go thou.  Its important because you have to do your part to make up for the trash and needles and broken alcohol bottles left my CoV "residents"

The classic refrain of someone who never goes downtown. 

• Coreyburger, tedward and shoeflack like this

#1979 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 06:33 PM

Yawn. Another 6-8k people have moved downtown in the last few years, there are essentially no residential rental vacancies, new construction is booming, businesses are doing well, and tourism is thriving.  But don't let actual facts get in your way.

• Coreyburger, tedward, Mr Cook Street and 3 others like this

#1980 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 06:36 PM

i actuallly think downtown population increase might be closer to 1,500 at best over the last decade.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users