Photo

Managing density / urban development

• Please log in to reply
549 replies to this topic

#541 aastra

aastra
  • 13,396 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 01:19 PM

...nobody mentions that we are in for “The Big One” any time now...

Is the writer new in town? Victorians have been trying to use the potential for earthquakes as an anti-development ploy since forever. Every time it comes up I ask why Victoria should have such inflated concerns even as California, Japan, etc. do not. Nowhere else in BC, either. Just Victoria. Just Victoria city. As if Uptown or Langford could never be affected by an earthquake.

Seriously, nowhere else in the world will you find such a localized "concern" about earthquakes.

• Nparker, Bob Fugger and grantpalin like this

#542 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 42,231 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 01:13 PM

From our very own PPPdev:

http://www.timescolo...hood-1.23368123

“Re: “Victoria’s densification process raises concerns,” comment, June 30.

Michael Bloomfield argues that many Victoria neighbourhoods eyed for densification have done their share of growth and should be left alone.”
  • Matt R., thundergun and Mattjvd like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#543 Nparker

Nparker
  • 19,097 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 01:15 PM

What exactly does "done their share" even mean in real terms?

Edited by Nparker, 17 July 2018 - 01:16 PM.

#544 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 1,146 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 17 July 2018 - 01:17 PM

What exactly is "done their share" mean?

It means they're full and we should raise the drawbridge (that's why we had to get a lifting bridge replacement, right?)

• Nparker likes this

#545 RFS

RFS
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 01:20 PM

From our very own PPPdev:

http://www.timescolo...hood-1.23368123

“Re: “Victoria’s densification process raises concerns,” comment, June 30.

Michael Bloomfield argues that many Victoria neighbourhoods eyed for densification have done their share of growth and should be left alone.”

Solid article.  Great job PPPdev

• sebberry likes this

#546 Nparker

Nparker
  • 19,097 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 01:26 PM

Solid article.  Great job PPPdev

My favourite line from Luke's article: "What Victoria are we trying to preserve? Victoria in 1910, 1950, 1976, 2000 or the day after the last person arrived?"

I have often asked this same question myself. Just exactly when is a city full and/or complete? It seems to me that cities hundreds of years older than Victoria still experience growth. Why should the CoV be exempt?

• tedward likes this

#547 PPPdev

PPPdev
  • 97 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 02:52 PM

My favourite line from Luke's article: "What Victoria are we trying to preserve? Victoria in 1910, 1950, 1976, 2000 or the day after the last person arrived?"

I have often asked this same question myself. Just exactly when is a city full and/or complete? It seems to me that cities hundreds of years older than Victoria still experience growth. Why should the CoV be exempt?

Shoot man that is an amazing thought! "Imagine Barcelona stopped in 15 BC after the Roman's left, or Paris never allowed the Eiffel Tower cause it would have destroyed neighbourhood character" 

When is a city done?

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#548 PPPdev

PPPdev
  • 97 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 06:28 AM

What do you guys think of this: http://www.timescolo...elated_articles

To me, it’s an inspiring story of hard work and dedication. My trouble with it is the very pervasive mentality of ‘if you want to live in my neighbourhood, you have to live in a type of home that I say’.

Thoughts?

#549 Nparker

Nparker
  • 19,097 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 07:26 AM

It's just another take on NIMBY.

#550 Freedom57

Freedom57
  • 50 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 08:02 AM

If our voting system changes to Proportional Representation, perhaps a new political party will emerge.  The NIMBY party.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

To advertise on VibrantVictoria, call us at 250-884-0589.