Photo

Managing density / urban development

• Please log in to reply
1095 replies to this topic

#781 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 08:47 AM

What about Esquimalt? There could be some serious density changes there and it wouldnt have an effect on congestion

I think highlands and everything up to Brentwood bay should be developer. Not farmland. In terms of infill I think a few of the golf courses could go

#782 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,159 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 08:58 AM

It looks like a new road is going in between Sooke Road at Westshore Parkway and Luxton Road in the Happy Valley.

Also the woods across from Slegg Lumber along Sooke Road have now been cut down between Westshore Parkway and Glenshire Drive.
  • Bernard likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#783 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 08:19 PM

Victoria Daily Colonist, October 13, 1963

Capture.JPG

• aastra, lanforod, nerka and 1 other like this

#784 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 09:45 PM

I'm still not convinced it will ever really take off.

• Rob Randall and lanforod like this

#785 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 10:01 PM

Interesting use of the word "condominion". Why did they elect to use it in the title but not in the article itself?

In other news, I cracked open one of my trustiest old dictionaries just now and I'm sad to say it's smelling very musty, indeed.

• Mike K. likes this

#786 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,159 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 02:30 AM

What’s its definition for apartmint?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#787 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,225 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 06:12 AM

Apartment-retired
Condo-retired
Micro Loft-minimum living unit.
Luxury Condo-base level living unit
Sky Home-mid level living unit
Executive Sky Home-high end living unit

#788 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 06:50 AM

I thought you might like to see the caption alongside that highrise model in the clipping above:

Capture.JPG

:banana:

#789 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 30 October 2018 - 07:21 AM

If that's supposed to mean 'working' girls, that's a LOT of those girls in Winnipeg!

#790 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 12:02 PM

May 18, 1966.

Capture.JPG

#791 jasmineshinga

jasmineshinga
  • 332 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 02:12 PM

It's not the volume of people, it's how much land each new person occupied.

In our case the difference over 32-years is negligible. But if we shared Edmonton's development patterns we'd see a considerable different between Victoria of 1984 and Victoria of 2016.

Ehh, I wouldn't want to emulate Edmonton's painful sprawl (lived there for too long, commutes were a b*tch even with wide freeways). They are just coming to grips with vertical densification, which Victoria (being as it is more geographically confined) needs to hop on top of ASAP.  Build up; incorporate safe parks and greens spaces in a controlled, planned manner; and ensure vehicular transit corridors are separated from pedestrian/bike/scooter paths. This is my take on healthy and sustainable population growth.

• Mike K. and Danma like this

~ Jasmine ~

#792 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 10 June 2019 - 08:35 AM

Bit of a plug, mods feel free to remove if the post is inappropriate.

A new book on "Vancouverism" is out through UBC press, authored by former chief planner Larry Beasley. The book focuses on the period of rapid urban change between Expo 86 and the 2010 Olympic Games. 20% discount with code 0311-20 .

Note: I don't receive any compensation or reward for referring people. I received the code to distribute among my network because I took an urban deign class taught by Larry. Enjoy!

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#793 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,391 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 09:19 AM

Sounds like it could be an interesting read.

#794 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 03:04 PM

I've posted these articles in another thread but I want to link them from here as well. I want lurkers to read these. Seriously, this 1974 spread should be required reading for all Victorians, especially new arrivals.

Partly because of the historical grounding it would provide (where we are now is where we've been before, many times over),

partly because of the facts contained therein,

partly because of the nonsense and fear-mongering contained therein,

partly because the articles demonstrate that noxious "everything is bad/the city is being ruined" pessimism that characterized post-1945 Victoria well into the 2000s,

and partly because the articles show how modern Victorians sustain the same fundamental grievances decade after decade, merely re-shaping them to fit the current context.

Maybe the city's name should be changed to "Phoenix"? Every day it gets utterly ruined, but every following day it gets threatened with ruination all over again.

Daily Colonist
May 18, 1974

Article 1: The rise, decline and fall of apartment development boom

Article 2: Neighbors battle "the sell-out"

Article 3: Psychiatric care just child's play (file this one in the same category as the current concern re: highrise heart attacks)

Article 4: Developers have problems too

Article 5: It's now big boxes, all in a row

• DavidSchell likes this

#795 DavidSchell

DavidSchell
  • 684 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 05:05 PM

I've posted these articles in another thread but I want to link them from here as well. I want lurkers to read these. Seriously, this 1974 spread should be required reading for all Victorians, especially new arrivals.

Partly because of the historical grounding it would provide (where we are now is where we've been before, many times over),

partly because of the facts contained therein,

partly because of the nonsense and fear-mongering contained therein,

partly because the articles demonstrate that noxious "everything is bad/the city is being ruined" pessimism that characterized post-1945 Victoria well into the 2000s,

and partly because the articles show how modern Victorians sustain the same fundamental grievances decade after decade, merely re-shaping them to fit the current context.

Maybe the city's name should be changed to "Phoenix"? Every day it gets utterly ruined, but every following day it gets threatened with ruination all over again.

Daily Colonist
May 18, 1974

Article 1: The rise, decline and fall of apartment development boom

Article 2: Neighbors battle "the sell-out"

Article 3: Psychiatric care just child's play (file this one in the same category as the current concern re: highrise heart attacks)

Article 4: Developers have problems too

Article 5: It's now big boxes, all in a row

current crop in office is just making things worse, but of course as one person put it to me it is the greedy CEO's making the high salaries are to blame. Stop worrying about what a CEO makes and worry more about the high taxes, fees and other BS tacked on to a new build and builders will build solving this crises.

Having said that the downtown core of Victoria is deteriorating quickly thanks to the needs of the few out weighing the needs of the many, so many green spaces in the city are now just a hang out for substance abuse ... WTG BEN!

Edited by DavidSchell, 07 July 2019 - 05:06 PM.

#796 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 05:29 PM

No worries, today's politicians are on the case. They'll make sure the city doesn't get ruined.

• DavidSchell likes this

#797 DavidSchell

DavidSchell
  • 684 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 07:35 PM

Ignoring expert advice leads to less advice

https://www.timescol...vice-1.23877665

• van-island likes this

#798 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 09:03 PM

10 per cent of something is better than 20 per cent of nothing.

Obviously this is true, but it presumes that the CoV actually wants 20 per cent or even 10 per cent. Lest we forget, there's been effectively no change in the number of rental units since the early 1970s. How is that possible? Greater Victoria's population has doubled since then. So many dedicated politicians, so many bright ideas, so many studies and reports, so much sanctimonious BS... but no real progress?

• DavidSchell likes this

#799 van-island

van-island
  • 92 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 03:10 PM

Follow the money. The system provides the rewards to those who build for buyers, not renters. And unfortunately the system is complex and factors at many levels support it. This makes it more resilient to change and also difficult to control by any one entity.

Obviously this is true, but it presumes that the CoV actually wants 20 per cent or even 10 per cent. Lest we forget, there's been effectively no change in the number of rental units since the early 1970s. How is that possible? Greater Victoria's population has doubled since then. So many dedicated politicians, so many bright ideas, so many studies and reports, so much sanctimonious BS... but no real progress?

#800 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,391 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:09 AM

For a classic NIMBY argument against any new construction in an existing neighbourhood check out this comment piece in the TC. This is a new twist, though.

The aim seems to be replacement of historic and varied wooden buildings with taller structures made of plywood and pressed wood, perpetually gassing off

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users