Pedestrian realm, mid-block walkways and pathways in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 10:10 AM

The survey is very quicK, I recommend you all take it. But I honestly couldn't find much negative about walking here. I suggested the N. side of the Johnson Bridge crossing could use help, I think that's a little wonky there with the rails, the bikes and the Goose all there together.

Victoria seeks input from pedestrians

Times Colonist
Published: Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Let your fingers do the talking on the topic of walking in Victoria.

The City of Victoria is developing a pedestrian master plan and is asking the public to do a survey on pedestrian infrastructure needs within city boundaries.

The city wants to encourage more people to walk and will use survey results to improve sidewalks, trails, wheelchair ramps and crosswalks.

John Luton, a cycling and walking advocate, said he'd like sidewalks on all streets, improved bus stop areas and improved access on some sidewalks, such as the one along St. Charles Street, that have utility poles in the middle.

Simple things, like lengthening the time allowed to cross major intersections such as Douglas Street, can improve the pedestrian experience, said Luton.

To do the survey online go to the website: http://www.victoria....edestriansurvey

Printed copies are available at the public service centre at City Hall.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 03:59 PM

I did it and asked for sidewalks on Amelia and Mason Street.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 04:55 PM

I did it and asked for sidewalks on Amelia and Mason Street.

You self-centred biotch.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 07:44 PM

The stretch between Pandora and Johnson at Wharf, west side of the street, could use sidewalks. That would provide proper access to the "park" space between the two roads.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 08:34 PM

The west side of Wharf street needs sidewalks all the way to the Visitor's Info Centre. At the same time, you can construct aastra's Old Town extension on the parking lots.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#6 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 08:44 PM

Yeah, you're right. I just always cut across the lawn and not having a sidewalk or a safe crossing to the whale wall never registered in my psyche.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 06:55 AM

American visitors have expressed an overwhelming desire for higher guardrails beside some harbour-area sidewalks.

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 11:16 AM

I thought aastra's suggestion to put the "Warning! Gravity in effect" signs would suffice?

Know it all.

#9 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 10:28 AM

Circle Drive in Beacon Hill.

#10 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 12:30 PM

I suggested the N. side of the Johnson Bridge crossing could use help, I think that's a little wonky there with the rails, the bikes and the Goose all there together.

The reason that's a "little wonky" is because the idiots that designed the E+N should have made it stop on the other side of the Johnson st. bridge, by PSC Natural Foods. Had they done that, we wouldn't have that pointless train overpass and the hairpin turn driving in/out of Vic West. This also could have freed up that rail section of the Johnson St. bridge for more vehicular/pedestrian traffic which would have flowed better and resulted in less accidents all these years.
In chains by Keynes

#11 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 12:43 PM

At some point back in the day the train station was up near City Hall, so having it down in Vic West probably would have been a non-starter for people back then. They would have wanted it right into the heart of the city. I pondered if streetcars ever used it then I realized it would be near impossible to successfully have the overhead wires for the trolleys on the bridge.

The station was eventually pushed back (around Mary Street IIRC?? until the 90s).

If they have any hope of using it as a commuter line again I think the terminus will never revert back to Vic West.

Is PSC Natural Foods on our "Building Deathwatch" list?
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#12 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 09:05 PM

The trains used to service all the rice mills, steel mills, slaughter houses, and grocery wholesalers along Store street and up Herald Street.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#13 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 06:32 AM

^ Interesting.

I have always thought if we had better train service on the island the PSC location would a great spot for the main train station. I mean you could always have a commuter train continue to store street but have trains to Nanaimo, Courtenay, Port Aberni leave from PSC.

ANYWAYS back to pedestrian issues.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#14 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 05:54 PM

TOMORROW!!!

Downtown Plan, Harbour walkway and Pedestrian Plan Open House

The City of Victoria invites you to come to an important open house on some important issues for Downtown residents. Please come and give them your feedback. Please come tomorrow, November 7 to City Hall:

Help Us Plan Victoria’s Future!

Victoria is experiencing unprecedented growth. Within the next two decades, it is estimated that an additional 10,000 to 15,000 people will live in downtown Victoria.

The City of Victoria is currently undertaking three key planning projects to ensure that Victoria is an enjoyable, safe and sustainable city to live and work. These plans will direct future residential and commercial development, and walking and cycling amenities.

Stakeholders and the public are invited to attend a Public Consultation Fair to learn more about the following plans:

Downtown Plan Update– review four different options to support a vibrant, mixed-use and healthy downtown

• Pedestrian Master Plan –review recommendations to improve sidewalks, pathways, crosswalks and lighting for pedestrians

• Harbour Pathway Project– review a proposed design for a waterfront pedestrian and cycling path to connect Ogden Point to Rock Bay

Staff and project consultants will be on hand to discuss displays and answer questions. Participants will be asked to provide input on the three planning projects by filling out a comment form.

Public Consultation Fair

Wednesday, November 7, from 3 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Victoria City Hall (corner of Douglas Street and Pandora Avenue)

Displays will be set up in Council Chambers, the Ante Chamber, and Committee Room #1 on the second floor of Victoria City Hall.

Registration is not required. Coffee and tea will be provided.

Note: Parking is limited at Centennial Parkade due to ongoing repairs.

For more information, visit:www.victoria.ca and click on what’s new?

#15 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 November 2007 - 07:09 PM

The reason that's a "little wonky" is because the idiots that designed the E+N should have made it stop on the other side of the Johnson st. bridge, by PSC Natural Foods. Had they done that, we wouldn't have that pointless train overpass and the hairpin turn driving in/out of Vic West. This also could have freed up that rail section of the Johnson St. bridge for more vehicular/pedestrian traffic which would have flowed better and resulted in less accidents all these years.

Actually the station should be closer to Douglas St. Its pointless to have it in Vic West, since about 90% of all the transit routes use Douglas St in the Downtown Core. Plus why would u want people to transfer from the train to a bus then to another bus on Douglas St.
If 10 to 15 thousand more people are expected to live in the downtown core, shouldnt the station be where the action is? Yes Vic West is a lot more dense than it was 20-25 years ago, but it has poor transit connections, and based on BC Transit's plans there is no plan to do any improvements in that area (Only 4 routes serve the area).

You want the station to be located in a more convienient location. Plus with rapid bus being planned for the Douglas st corridor and future streetcar service along Government St, it would make sense to have the station located near these two busy transportation corridors.

#16 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 November 2007 - 07:11 PM

At some point back in the day the train station was up near City Hall, so having it down in Vic West probably would have been a non-starter for people back then. They would have wanted it right into the heart of the city. I pondered if streetcars ever used it then I realized it would be near impossible to successfully have the overhead wires for the trolleys on the bridge.

The station was eventually pushed back (around Mary Street IIRC?? until the 90s).

If they have any hope of using it as a commuter line again I think the terminus will never revert back to Vic West.

Is PSC Natural Foods on our "Building Deathwatch" list?

Station was built in 1888, expanded in 1947, removed in 1972 and moved to Catherine St, then in 1985 was built in the current location.

#17 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 02 November 2013 - 03:58 PM

(while gratified to see a topic of this character, I find it discouraging that it's not been updated lately and suggests forum participants are non-pedestrians)

It's here: our Pedestrian Master Plan (completed in 2008) :):
http://www.victoria....aster-plan.html

and documented in detail (20 MB pdf) at:
http://www.victoria....master-plan.pdf

(written in bureaucratise, nearly 300 pages' worth, I'm wading through it now)

jbw

editted to remark: Agh! They've enciphered the pdf document (you can't simply copy / paste extracts). A workaround is to copy it to your PC, then save it as .txt file (curiously you cannot do this directly while viewing it as a webpage). Not a good workaround though (bizarre formatting, such as huge portions of one word/line). The net result: the publication's a huge challenge to properly study (copy/paste notes from) and refer to. I'm resorting to use a screenprinting program to take notes from the legible pdf version (I should never have to use that approach!).

#18 http

http

Data Sans Practicality

• 1,029 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:08 PM

[ snip ] They've enciphered the pdf document (you can't simply copy / paste extracts). A workaround is to copy it to your PC, then save it as .txt file (curiously you cannot do this directly while viewing it as a webpage). Not a good workaround though (bizarre formatting, such as huge portions of one word/line). The net result: the publication's a huge challenge to properly study (copy/paste notes from) and refer to. I'm resorting to use a screenprinting program to take notes from the legible pdf version (I should never have to use that approach!).

I'm able to copy/paste sections, but sequence and separation of bullet points is... spotty. I'm using the ordinary pdf viewer, evince.

How hard can it be to share public information in bog standard formats? Apparently, very.
"Who are those slashdot people? They swept over like Mongol-Tartars." - F. E. Vladimirovna

#19 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:24 PM

(while gratified to see a topic of this character, I find it discouraging that it's not been updated lately and suggests forum participants are non-pedestrians).

What an odd and spurious conclusion to draw. There isn't a recent thread on air quality - must it be because we don't breathe oxygen? Likely it's because no one cares. Or they give the requisite weight to City master planning documents like this that they deserve. Not because they aren't pedestrians.

Bob

PS PROTIP: If you wish to stimulate discussion about a subject you hold dear, try not to come off as sanctimonious and condescending because it's not top of mind for other forum members. No one needs to hear how you're better than them because you picked up on something that interests you, first.

#20 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 02 November 2013 - 06:22 PM

I'm able to copy/paste sections, but sequence and separation of bullet points is... spotty. I'm using the ordinary pdf viewer, evince.

How hard can it be to share public information in bog standard formats? Apparently, very.

Ah, "evince" -- interesting (less bloated than adobe's reader and apparently gets the job done better at times). I'll give that a try, thanks. https://wiki.gnome.o...vince/Downloads

jbw

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users