Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Quadra/Yates office (beside 7-Eleven) | Built - renovated in 2008

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 08:00 AM

^It won't ever happen. 7-Eleven showed zero interest in having a new location built for them on that corner, and besides, there is a height covenant on the lot that allowed extra height on the Manhattan.

#22 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 08:09 AM

Are we talking exclusively about 924 Yates?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#23 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 08:30 AM

The rezoning proposal before us now is strictly a renovation to the existing office building. The ground floor is designated commercial retail but the extreme depth of the space (check the aerial, above) combined with no rear access makes it difficult to market according to the proponent (Courtnall family).

#24 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 04:03 PM

Ugh I hate ground floor office. Couldn't they carve up some space at the front for some small retail ala Jigsaw and have the office at the back portion?

#25 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 09:15 AM

Ugh I hate ground floor office. Couldn't they carve up some space at the front for some small retail ala Jigsaw and have the office at the back portion?

Not with the present configuration (see aerial photo above) because the retail units, unlike the Jigsaw, would be far too deep and they would not have any rear access, making them difficult to lease.

#26 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 11:03 AM

^ Sounds bogus. There are plenty of shops that would lease a small space with no rear loading and unloading areas. Just have a look at oldtown there are plenty of examples. Smoking Lily jumps to mind. This will be the second recent ground floor office to go onto Yates Street in the last 2 years and is a huge detriment to the neighbourhood.

#27 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 08:39 PM

There is a fence and rerouted sidewalk around 914 Yates now. Looks like work is going to start.

#28 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 10:36 AM

yes, they are renovating the existing building. The overall size will not change from what is there now.

#29 Sisi Summers

Sisi Summers
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 02:34 PM

I'm no fan of ground floor office myself however DH says it's great. Now that he has a new office space in Washington, which is ground floor, he feels it's inviting for the client.

Personally when I was hairdressing full time, I owned 2 shops that were in high rises and strangely they got MORE walk in traffic than the 2 ground floor shops.

Being in a building that had a lot of suites rather than offices helped but still it was a remarkable contrast.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users