Photo

Inner Harbour of Victoria

• Please log in to reply
186 replies to this topic

#1 aastra

aastra
  • 20,570 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 01:10 PM

Here are a couple of enlightening excerpts from travel reviews over at TripAdvisor.com:

REVIEW #1

We just returned from staying at the Grand Pacific Hotel in Victoria...in one of the suites with the view of the Inner Harbor. We remarked on a daily basis that it was one of the best hotel rooms we had ever rented. The view of the harbor was spectacular both at night and during the day with a flurry of interesting things to watch, e.g., ferries and drawbridges and sea planes coming and going. I would most definitely recommend spending the extra money to get a suite with the harbor view as all of the other views were quite standard.

REVIEW #2

Each morning was like a dream waking up to the beautiful crystal blue water and the lively activity at the docks. My husband was like a kid again watching all the sea planes, boats, and ferries come in each day. The noise from the activity may be slightly distracting for some, but we honestly did not mind. We never cut the TV on as we could just watch sea otters and seals play in the harbour!

Interesting. These people really enjoyed the real working city of Victoria and its bustling harbour. Many tourists (if not most tourists) will come from places that don't have float planes, car ferries, commuter helicopters, houseboats, urbanized waterfronts etc. so perhaps Victoria should stop pretending to be a genteel oasis and start playing up its unique brand of hustle and bustle.

Some people would say Victoria's hustle and bustle will always pale in comparison to Vancouver's, but this is a gross oversimplification. Victoria's harbour scene is quite different from Vancouver's in both look and feel. Just because you've seen Vancouver doesn't mean you've seen Victoria, and vice versa.

#2 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 08:19 PM

I hope some of you will be able to attend this:

Special Council Meeting

Public Meeting – Victoria Harbour Airport

Council Chambers, Victoria City Hall, #1 Centennial Square

Thursday, October 2, 2008 at 7:00 p.m.

The Victoria City Council Standing Committee on Victoria Harbour Airport invites you to an information sharing meeting about harbour airport related matters. The meeting aims to:

Share issues raised by citizens and other groups;
Summarize actions taken to date by the Committee;
Clarify harbour jurisdiction;
Seek citizen recommendations on issues related to the harbour airport; and
Discuss next steps.

If you would like to speak at the meeting and/or make recommendations to the Victoria City Council Standing Committee on Victoria Harbour Airport, a Request to Address the Committee form can be found on the City of Victoria website at www.victoria.ca under “What’s New”. You can also pick up the form at the Legislative Office in City Hall. All submissions must be received by October 2nd at 11:00 am.

For more information, please contact:
Soki Kaur, Policy Analyst
Corporate Planning and Policy Division
Legislative and Regulatory Services Department
City of Victoria
#1 Centennial Square
Victoria BC, V8W 1P6
Tel: 250-361-0529
Fax: 250-361-0348

skaur@victoria.ca
www.victoria.ca

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 08:33 PM

So first we read this:

My husband was like a kid again watching all the sea planes, boats, and ferries come in each day.

....then we get some kind of City Killjoy notification right afterward:

Share issues raised by citizens and other groups; (re the harbour)

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 08:38 PM

The Victoria City Council Standing Committee on Victoria Harbour Airport invites you to an information sharing meeting about harbour airport related matters. The meeting aims to:

Share issues raised by citizens and other groups;
Summarize actions taken to date by the Committee;
Clarify harbour jurisdiction;
Seek citizen recommendations on issues related to the harbour airport; and
Discuss next steps.

You know, everyone that moved in around there knew there was an airport on the harbour. Surely people that moved in next to YYJ didn't think traffic would remain at 1974 levels forever when they bought in 1974. What's the difference? We have one YYJ, and we have one (whatever the code is for the harbour). I'm pretty sure that folks out at Pat Bay don't think we should build a new airport at or move some traffic to a new airport at Deep Cove or on Sidney Spit.

#5 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 08:45 PM

Well you gonna show up at the meeting?
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 08:55 PM

Well you gonna show up at the meeting?

...well, let's see if I need to:

Share issues raised by citizens and other groups (some people hate the volume of traffic, or their perceived safety issues or how they smell)
Summarize actions taken to date by the Committee (I presume nothing so far)
Clarify harbour jurisdiction (the City really has nothing to do with it, except a seat on the board)
Seek citizen recommendations on issues related to the harbour airport (some form of no-fun style bylaw will likely be recommended, where arriving float-plane passengers can't eat in an area less than 300 sq. ft.)
and
Discuss next steps. (Maybe a $800,000 one-year study like the transit one)

I'll go to the meeting only to reveal the sheer lunacy of it, but I'll go. Can I dress as Mr. FloatPlanie? Strap a couple of wings onto that piece of **** and I'm sure it'll pass for a brand new mascot.

#7 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 08:59 PM

#3 on that list of topics - "Clarify Jurisdiction". The cities of Victoria and Esquimalt (View Royal if you take in the upper gorge) have ABSOLUTELY no jurisdiction over the functional use of the harbour. The cities can lobby, they can complain, they can make presentations - but it is Transport Canada which regulates and CCG/RCMP which enforces. (although I do love VicPD running around in the old CCG Zodiac I cox'd back in the '80's - note to them, stab vests are not life jackets! :P)

I think this meeting, like others that seems to happen on this topic every 10 years or so, will allow people to blow off steam, and the City can make the point - they have no jurisdiction.

#8 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 09:12 PM

#3 on that list of topics - "Clarify Jurisdiction". The cities of Victoria and Esquimalt (View Royal if you take in the upper gorge) have ABSOLUTELY no jurisdiction over the functional use of the harbour. The cities can lobby, they can complain, they can make presentations - but it is Transport Canada which regulates and CCG/RCMP which enforces. (although I do love VicPD running around in the old CCG Zodiac I cox'd back in the '80's - note to them, stab vests are not life jackets! :P)

I think this meeting, like others that seems to happen on this topic every 10 years or so, will allow people to blow off steam, and the City can make the point - they have no jurisdiction.

Board Info

The GVHA’s Board of Directors is comprised member organizations and their respective appointees for the Esquimalt Nation, the Songhees Nation, the Provincial Capital Commission, the City of Victoria, the Township of Esquimalt, the Victoria & Esquimalt Harbour Society, Tourism Victoria, the Greater Victoria Chamber of Commerce and the Capital Regional District. The Board also has three Community Directors drawn from the community at large.

Board of Directors:

Councillor Barbara Desjardins, Township of the Corporation of Esquimalt
Mr. Doug Enns (Treasurer), Community Director
Councillor Bea Holland, City of Victoria
Mr. Dan Kukat (Secretary), Victoria/Esquimalt Harbour Society
Mr. Mark Lindholm (Vice-Chair), Victoria/Esquimalt Harbour Society

Mr. Ian Maxwell, Community Director
Mr. Dan McAllister, Tourism Victoria
Mr. Don Prittie (Chair), Capital Regional District
Chief Robert Sam, Songhees Nation
Chief Andy Thomas, Esquimalt Nation
Mr. Bill Wellburn, Provincial Capital Commission
Mr. Randy Wright, Community Director
Vacant, Greater Victoria Chamber of Commerce

http://www.victoriah...a_boardinfo.php

#9 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 09:41 PM

I must make a heart felt apology, and thanks to VHF - after living in Europe for over a decade and not returning to Vic until 2005 I was unaware that TC had divested to a harbour board in 2002. Thanks for pointing that out.

#10 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 09:13 PM

I've learned that Transport Canada will not be attending this meeting of the Harbour Airport until after the Federal Election. Pfft.

#11 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 04:19 PM

thanks to those who pointed out there is a harbour board, the jurisdiction issue still remains so my original point stands - the city has no jurisdiction over the harbour - it is Transport Canada.

related news story

http://www.cfax1070....php?newsId=6524

#12 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 02:49 PM

edit

#13 Joseph

Joseph
  • 80 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 03:01 PM

It's true that this it's primarily Transport Canada that has the fun job of sorting out our Harbour, but this is no reason to avoid the topic for our muncipal politicians and citizen's groups, as it's become clear with issues such as the co-ho and the mega yacht dock that municipal bodies can determine how much havoc will be left for the fate of federal jurisdiction.

#14 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 03:57 PM

I found it interesting in the staff's report at last night's meeting of the Standing Committee on the Harbour Airport that Transport Canada is firm on its jurisdiction over the harbour including issues related to noise and emissions. Further in the presentation TC indicates that it does not do any monitoring of aircraft noise. Doesn't that just give you a warm feeling about their sense of responsibility for carrying out their mandate!
There have been noise studies done in the harbour, all of which have been done by private interests. The Wakefield Study (report 97-436-1) June 1997 done for Huron St. Mgmt Ltd.
found decibel levels at Shoal Pt of 57.3 dBA and Songhees at 67.3 dBA. CMHC had identified a threshold of 55dBA (for trains) as the level at which road or rail noise can begin to significantly interfere with essential human activities. Transport Canada, with the NRC, has established a level equal to 56 dBA. So - in 1997 sound levels were already creeping over threshold levels. More recently levels have been measured as high as 90 dBA.
Transport Canada has not shown any indication of a concern about resident safety, quality of life, and environmental concerns as it continues to allow increased in flight activity. Nor has it undertaking the environmental and aeronautic studies that are required prior to the certification of any Canadian airport.
Pieta VanDyke

#15 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 04:54 PM

Transport Canada has not shown any indication of a concern about resident safety, quality of life, and environmental concerns as it continues to allow increased in flight activity. Nor has it undertaking the environmental and aeronautic studies that are required prior to the certification of any Canadian airport.

Hi Peita,

The airport has been here for a very long time - indeed I have a picture of the first air-mail delivery by float plane out of the inner harbour headed for Seattle dating back to 1910. A beautiful sight.

Thx, Sue

#16 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 03 October 2008 - 05:50 PM

All I can say is, why did anyone build residences close to the water? The planes were there before Songhees and Shoal point. But then I am opposed to all residential construction on the waterfront as this land should all be industrial lands.

Which leads me to another issue, I would like see local government remove the different property tax rates based on land use. We are taxing businesses out of business. We have emptied our industrial lands because of outrageous mil rates - though nothing as insane as North Cowichan, no wonder Doman went under.

#17 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 07:54 PM

All harbour shoreland for industrial use? You have a unique, and may I say, 'Blade Runner' vision of Victoria's waterfront! I think most agree residential units 'blighted' by harbour noise must accept the multi-usage of the area - are we going to stop fireworks because it 'freaks out' someone's poodle? :D

All I can say is, why did anyone build residences close to the water? The planes were there before Songhees and Shoal point. But then I am opposed to all residential construction on the waterfront as this land should all be industrial lands.

Which leads me to another issue, I would like see local government remove the different property tax rates based on land use. We are taxing businesses out of business. We have emptied our industrial lands because of outrageous mil rates - though nothing as insane as North Cowichan, no wonder Doman went under.

#18 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 08:41 PM

Float planes rock! If you didn't notice them when you were buying your condo next to their runway, what else did you miss?

#19 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 10:12 PM

On a nice day, sit on the terrace at Canoe, have a pint of the wonderful home-brewed bitter or pale-ale and watch the float planes skip the roof top right over your head, and do an amazing right turn on the water as they just miss the Johnson St. Bridge - unique in the world.

#20 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 12:10 AM

On a nice day, sit on the terrace at Canoe, have a pint of the wonderful home-brewed bitter or pale-ale and watch the float planes skip the roof top right over your head, and do an amazing right turn on the water as they just miss the Johnson St. Bridge - unique in the world.

I agree. All the folks that say it is an accident waiting to happen, well, we've never had a accident (I don't think? ... and if so it was not because of homes), and the proximity of homes does not make it more dangerous.

And just because there used to be one per hour, and now there may be 4 per hour does not make it any more dangerous.

For freak sakes folks, did you not look/listen to the harbour for a whole day before you bought your condo?

I sold a guy $11,000 worth of soundproof windows across from the Helijet (The Dolphins, 44 Dallas?) because he had only seen his new condo on the weekend when flights are much less frequent. He was very pissed at his RealtorTM, but really, how can you be so ignorant?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users