Photo

[Downtown Victoria] The Belvedere | 49m | 15-storeys | Built - completed in 2006

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#1 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 10:22 PM

[url=http://imageshack.us:0c4eb][/url:0c4eb]
It is looking really, really nice.
It makes the Astoria look slightly inferior.

#2 DelsterX

DelsterX
  • 80 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 11:57 AM

I agree. The Astoria is too monochromatic. It just gets washed out with no real contrasting features.

#3 Jarrod

Jarrod
  • 125 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 01:48 PM

The Astoria needs some light splashed against it. Not just at the top, but lights shot up it. That would make it stand out at night. I really like the building on the skinny sides. It also needs to hide the elevator box at the top...

#4 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 02:01 PM

A refresher:

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#5 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 02:24 PM

Astoria really needed some setbacks and maybe also some quirky details on the upper floors. Even adding a cool wedge-shaped housing around the mechanical room would be good. Dramatic lighting would also be good.

#6 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 02:41 PM

My photo from the Y-lot thread.

#7 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 02:42 PM

Astoria really needed some setbacks and maybe also some quirky details on the upper floors. Even adding a cool wedge-shaped housing around the mechanical room would be good. Dramatic lighting would also be good.

The Advisory Design Panel requested that Concert add lighting elements to the roof of Astoria because of its presence. Concert wasn't obliged to do it so they didn't :(

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 04:32 PM

"Mechanical Penthouse" would be a cool name for a band.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#9 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 08:34 PM

Pics from today:

[url=http://imageshack.us:d4d85][/url:d4d85]

#10 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 09:05 PM

Nice pics!
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

#11 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 05:12 PM

We've already gotten so used to these 3 Y-lot buildings, it's almost hard to remember that horrible parking lot.

Ok.. not hard to remember. But these buildings, to me at least, have fit in so quickly. They're just part of the landscape now, it seems way more unnatural and un-victoria to ever think that land was a parking lot.

With Aria going up and Belvedere finishing up the details, this area is really looking nice.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#12 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 09:20 PM

I watched them hoist the railings up to the suites the other day. It was pretty cool, they had 2 rope a pulley systems going at the same time.
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

#13 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 06:56 AM

They've added aluminum vents to the mechanical penthouse, between each concrete post. Now that portion of the building doesn't look as great.

#14 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 03:53 PM

Any recent pictures of the front of Belvedere?

Astoria needed more colour and more contrast.

In any event, I think Astoria and Belvedere were pretty good designs re: getting Victorians reacquainted with highrise apartments.

Conservative? Yep.

Boring? A bit.

Ugly? Not at all.

Concert showed us what being timid will get us, but we've come through no worse for wear, and now we're good and ready for better stuff. Hence Aria and the Falls and the Juliet.

#15 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 04:01 PM

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#16 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 04:06 PM

Somebody recruit Dave to this site. He'll do it.

#17 FunkyMunky

FunkyMunky
  • 416 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 08:10 PM

Does anybody have an idea about what the cage-like structure is on the west end of the colonnade roof? A friend asked me and he thought it was for an elevator but it looks to me like some sort of landscaping structure. I've marked it in the photo with a red arrow.

#18 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 08:28 PM

It's just there for looks, not an elevator.

Would be nice if they'd put some ivy vines on it.

#19 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 08:38 PM

I hate ivy. It roots into everything. Having a landscaping and maintenance business, I see alot of damage that Ivy causes.

Personally I like vines like clematis and Wisteria.

The nice thing about Wisteria is it doesn't lose it's green in the winter. Though there is one variety of clematis that is an ever green.

Also both these vines flower very nicely.

#20 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 08:41 PM

Didn't the Empress recently change the ivy it had for years to some other kind of species that doesn't damage brick? Or am I just imagining things?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users