3036 replies to this topic

#1981 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,345 posts

Posted 15 August 2021 - 07:28 AM

sounds like David Crosby is despondent.

https://www.musicbus...y-record-money/

seems he was not a good money manager though.

https://www.telegrap...screwed-brains/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 15 August 2021 - 07:36 AM.

#1982 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 15 August 2021 - 08:19 AM

Crosby has his place in the pantheon of writers/singers/performers ... but he's also considered by many (most?) to be completely impossible to deal with, and a total ass_ole.

I've never had a lot of sympathy for millionaires and their problems ... and have no sympathy for millionaires who create their own problems - and then publicly complain about them

Crosby admits he was responsible for most of the strife within CSNY, and was largely (if not completely) responsible for their multiple break-ups.

No sympathy for Crosby I'm afraid, his copious talent aside ... folks should have no time for his whining.

• Mike K. likes this

#1983 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,345 posts

Posted 15 August 2021 - 08:39 AM

Two time Rock and Roll Hall of Famer David Crosby faces a huge financial problem if the postponement of touring due to the coronavirus lasts for too long. In a new interview with GQ, he says “Honest to God—I may lose my home. I don’t know what to do about it, except just try to roll with the punches and keep going. Truthfully, if I lose the tours, I probably will lose my home.”

As we previously reported, concert promoter Live Nation has canceled all tours through the end of April. Crosby’s next solo tour starts the following month. “Once I start in May, I’m working almost constantly until about six days before Christmas,” he says. “And if I lose it all, I’m going to be in deep s—.” His tour includes headlining shows, as well as shows where he opens for alt-country artist Jason Isbell.

How is it that a rock legend like Crosby has hit such hard times? It’s been nearly five years since he’s played with Crosby Stills & Nash (and it’s been over a decade since the last Crosby Stills Nash & Young tour; CSNY plays larger venues than CSN). He’s currently estranged from his bandmates Stephen Stills, Graham Nash and Neil Young. He’s also a former member of the Byrds, a band that has been broken up for decades. And while the other surviving founding members — Roger McGuinn and Chris Hillman — recently reunited for a tour, Crosby was not part of the tour. (Crosby’s relationships with former collaborators is covered in the documentary, Remember My Name). And as a solo artist, he doesn’t pull the crowds that his former bands would, even though his recent solo albums and shows have gotten great reviews (he’s put out four solo albums in the past six years).

https://wror.com/202...ur-cancelation/

he's 79 years old.  there is some chance (greater each year) that the reaper will come along and relieve him of his house mortgage problem.  his sperm had a child with a famous lesbian couple i wonder if that being can support him?

whoops.  he is dead.

https://www.cnn.com/...no other part."

Legendary singer David Crosby helped fellow singer Melissa Etheridge's son Beckett Cypher be conceived and now Crosby is speaking out about his death.

Etheridge on Tuesday announced the death of the 21-year-old, who was her son along with her former partner, Julie Cypher.

"Today I joined the hundreds of thousands of families who have lost loved ones to opioid addiction," Etheridge said in a tweeted statement. "My son Beckett, who was just 21, struggled to overcome his addiction and finally succumbed to it today. He will be missed by those who loved him, his family and friends."

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 15 August 2021 - 08:44 AM.

#1984 m3m

m3m
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 16 August 2021 - 08:14 AM

You'd think somebody like him would be making a tidy sum off Spotify / apple music royalties, etc. 

#1985 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,345 posts

Posted 16 August 2021 - 08:42 AM

You'd think somebody like him would be making a tidy sum off Spotify / apple music royalties, etc. 

he says he is not.  

i would actually think a guy like him could have boutique concerts/lectures where people pay a fair sum to see him both speak and play.

#1986 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 16 August 2021 - 09:34 AM

Too arduous, maybe? The money is in touring for a few months and walking away with a couple million bucks (hopefully).

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1987 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 16 August 2021 - 09:39 AM

Just as an aside, David Crosby is pretty active on Twitter and responds to fans' tweets quite often. If you are on Twitter, you may want to give him a follow.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#1988 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,345 posts

Posted 16 August 2021 - 09:44 AM

Too arduous, maybe? The money is in touring for a few months and walking away with a couple million bucks (hopefully).

Maybe. But I think he is the kind of musician that likely does not need a big expensive touring team and production.
  • Mike K. likes this

#1989 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 16 August 2021 - 09:51 AM

But you need a competent management team to pull that off. Heck, you need one guy with a stick just to tame that mustache. And Crosby seems to have a reputation as a "difficult" person.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#1990 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,345 posts

Posted 21 August 2021 - 04:22 AM

The Phillips Backyard Double Header, the first Vancouver Island event of its kind to require its patrons to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination before entering the venue, has been postponed until 2022.

The two-day event, which was set for Sept. 10-11 at the Phillips Brewing and Malting Co. on Government Street, “was originally conceived to be a celebration of a return to concerts in British Columbia,” the company said in a statement. “Over the course of this week, it has become clear that we will not be able to produce the event we had planned and dreamed of producing.” Rock acts Black Mountain, The Beaches, U.S. Girls and Metz were among the acts expected to perform.

https://www.timescol...erns-1.24352519

Get Funk’d, another live event set for the same site, is still going forward at Phillips Brewery on Sept. 25, “but will be subject to regulations from provincial health officers” if those details become available, said producer Darryl Mar of the Victoria Jazz Society. “Right now, we are going ahead.”

It is recommended that guests attending the event, featuring The Funk Hunters, be vaccinated prior to entry, “but that is not mandatory,” Mar said.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 August 2021 - 04:23 AM.

#1991 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 21 August 2021 - 06:43 AM

How much did negative sentiment regarding proof of vaccine at the event impact the decision, I wonder?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1992 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,345 posts

Posted 21 August 2021 - 06:45 AM

it does seem odd one was cancelled and not the other.

#1993 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 21 August 2021 - 07:57 AM

How much did negative sentiment regarding proof of vaccine at the event impact the decision, I wonder?

Negative sentiment? I'd prefer to go to an event where proof of vaccine was required, and I doubt I'm in the minority. 

• Nparker, Matt R., vortoozo and 1 other like this

#1994 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,345 posts

Posted 21 August 2021 - 08:11 AM

Negative sentiment? I'd prefer to go to an event where proof of vaccine was required, and I doubt I'm in the minority. 

businesses have been attacked online for their pro-vaccine stance though.  likely the artists involved here too.

my body my choice.  and you don't have a right to know my personal health details.  etc.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 August 2021 - 08:12 AM.

#1995 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 21 August 2021 - 08:13 AM

Sure, but wackos online and ticket sales are two very different things.

• Matt R. and vortoozo like this

#1996 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 21 August 2021 - 08:26 AM

.......my body my choice.  and you don't have a right to know my personal health details.  etc.

Fair enough ... but any ticketed event (including all concerts) is essentially a private, business related function or affair to which the general public is invited through the purchase of a ticket.

As such, you are (by default) applying for permission to attend.

If you're unwilling to meet the conditions required for your application to be approved, you will be fundamentally unwelcome to attend.

It should be clear as well that concert promoters, although they are business folks looking to make a buck, don't really care about your personal politics. As a group, they will support the clear majority in seeking a safe, comfortable environment, and will therefore lean heavily towards requiring vaccinations in order to attend events. 

The anti-vax crowd is substantially in the minority of course, and as such, their wishes and desires to remain un-vaccinated but still attend concerts and other entertainment events ... will be quite seriously ignored by all involved ... with nary a concern for the anti-vax outcry that they feel that they are being treated unfairly.

• Nparker likes this

#1997 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,345 posts

Posted 21 August 2021 - 08:35 AM

Black Mountain, The Beaches, U.S. Girls and Metz all likely care about their online reputations and do not want controversy.

it’s not easy reading thousands of negative comments aimed at you.

if this was such a popular stance you’d think stores and brands and restaurant chains and airlines would be onboard. they are not.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 August 2021 - 08:39 AM.

#1998 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 21 August 2021 - 09:00 AM

Get vaxxed or stay home.

• Greg, vortoozo and SimonH like this

#1999 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 21 August 2021 - 09:18 AM

Black Mountain, The Beaches, U.S. Girls and Metz all likely care about their online reputations and do not want controversy.

it’s not easy reading thousands of negative comments aimed at you.

if this was such a popular stance you’d think stores and brands and restaurant chains and airlines would be onboard. they are not.

Whatever the perceived unpopularity might be, Live Nation is going with proof of either vaccination or a negative test (in Canada as well as the US).

https://www.rollings...e-test-1212323/
  • Nparker likes this

#2000 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 21 August 2021 - 09:19 AM

The unvaccinated will, either by government decree or being reduced to less than 10% of the population ... simply be ignored, and left to their own demise.

Concerts will require vaccinations in order to attend ... it's already well underway with the likes of Live Nation and the other large promoters:

https://www.cbc.ca/n...ation-1.6144692

Listing a bunch of no-name, unimportant entertainers who may be pandering to the unvaccinated in the United States does nothing to inform the issue in Canada.

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users