Photo

Concerts in Victoria + region + music industry news

• Please log in to reply
3051 replies to this topic

#2201 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,003 posts

Posted 15 March 2022 - 10:28 AM

That's really appealing to a pretty old audience.  Have You Ever Seen The Rain is over 50 years old.  Centerfield is 35.  Life Is A Highway is over 30.

That is the demo with money to spend. The < 50 are too busy trying to afford the basic stuff like food and shelter!

#2202 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,848 posts

Posted 15 March 2022 - 10:31 AM

That is the demo with money to spend. The < 50 are too busy trying to afford the basic stuff like food and shelter!

I'd agree, but only somewhat.  

Going to this thing requires a long drive and/or camping with thousands of others.  Not the thing all 60-years-olds want.

#2203 LJ

LJ
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 15 March 2022 - 07:52 PM

My idea of "roughing it" means no room service.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#2204 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,668 posts

Posted 15 March 2022 - 07:54 PM

My idea of "roughing it" means no room service.

That's like my definition of camping: full menu room services isn't available from midnight thru 6:00 AM. 

#2205 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,585 posts

Posted 15 March 2022 - 11:18 PM

^   .....lightweights.... :).

Its entirely possible to have the 'real deal' outdoor camping experience while still retaining a degree of civility. Our fishing group, average age 59, does it all the time. The major nod to advancing age was finally acknowledging achy complaining knees and backs, and dispensing with air mattresses in favor of camping cots. Also a tent big enough that you can stand up comfortably is key, as is a taffeta-fill sleeping bag; do all that and you're basically golden. A top notch toolbox and a knowledge of knot-tying helps; on a trip off the beaten path past Gold River in October we tied together three massive tarps hung and strung them from some handy trees and probably had close to 500 sf of ground securely under them, put up our tents and presto we had our own mini-village, dry and safe from rain.

When we hit the back woods the one area we always splurge on is food: we never dine on anything less than high quality fare (it helps if you can cook!): that trip last fall was for 3 nights and 4 days and included Korean BBQ pork, garlic mashed potato's, smoked salmon, blackened chicken, greek salad, made from scratch turkey chilli and cannelloni - all very do-able for an event like this music festival. Of course if you still remain a tenderfoot even with all those comforts a well provisioned RV works too. We're actually looking at a rig that each of us in the group might kick in some $ for to that end. Now that would be ideal for a bunch of cranky older guys and would even potentially coax even me into a music weekend with a bunch of drunk punks :)

• Mike K. likes this

#2206 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,848 posts

Posted 16 March 2022 - 11:20 AM

^   .....lightweights.... :).

Its entirely possible to have the 'real deal' outdoor camping experience while still retaining a degree of civility. Our fishing group, average age 59, does it all the time. The major nod to advancing age was finally acknowledging achy complaining knees and backs, and dispensing with air mattresses in favor of camping cots. Also a tent big enough that you can stand up comfortably is key, as is a taffeta-fill sleeping bag; do all that and you're basically golden. A top notch toolbox and a knowledge of knot-tying helps; on a trip off the beaten path past Gold River in October we tied together three massive tarps hung and strung them from some handy trees and probably had close to 500 sf of ground securely under them, put up our tents and presto we had our own mini-village, dry and safe from rain.

When we hit the back woods the one area we always splurge on is food: we never dine on anything less than high quality fare (it helps if you can cook!): that trip last fall was for 3 nights and 4 days and included Korean BBQ pork, garlic mashed potato's, smoked salmon, blackened chicken, greek salad, made from scratch turkey chilli and cannelloni - all very do-able for an event like this music festival. Of course if you still remain a tenderfoot even with all those comforts a well provisioned RV works too. We're actually looking at a rig that each of us in the group might kick in some $ for to that end. Now that would be ideal for a bunch of cranky older guys and would even potentially coax even me into a music weekend with a bunch of drunk punks :)

But do you want to be in a "camp site" (essentially a field) with 5,000 other campers?   That's what these festivals are.

Tim McGraw, Darius Rucker headline summer’s Rockin River Fest in flood-hit Merritt

‘Now more than ever, we need things to be excited about,’ city’s mayor says

https://www.vicnews....od-hit-merritt/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 16 March 2022 - 11:21 AM.

#2207 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,585 posts

Posted 16 March 2022 - 12:44 PM

But do you want to be in a "camp site" (essentially a field) with 5,000 other campers?   That's what these festivals are.

Tim McGraw, Darius Rucker headline summer’s Rockin River Fest in flood-hit Merritt

‘Now more than ever, we need things to be excited about,’ city’s mayor says

https://www.vicnews....od-hit-merritt/

No the only way I'd even consider it would be sited off to an edge or back of the site, but not in the midst of it, no way. A moot point anyway as I'm not a country music fan. I had to look up the majority of those artists so rule of thumb regardless of the music genre, if I've never heard of them chances are I'm not investing time, money and energy to go that distance to see them live.

Besides there are waaaay too many good fly fishing lakes in the Merritt area, and those I/we would camp at in a heartbeat.... :thumbsup:

#2208 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 16 March 2022 - 01:21 PM

I suppose the thing to do is to rent an AirBnB nearby, and walk over to the concerts.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2209 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,848 posts

Posted 22 March 2022 - 09:03 AM

Wu-Tang Clan, Arkells, and The Glorious Sons headline Lake Cowichan festival June 30-July 2

Laketown Shakedown festival returns to Lake Cowichan, June 30 to July 2

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 March 2022 - 09:03 AM.

#2210 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,848 posts

Posted 23 March 2022 - 08:10 AM

June 6 show at the Royal.

Our Lady Peace
The Wonderful Future Tour

Presale:
Wednesday, March 23 at 10AM local
Password:
SHOWTIME
On Sale Friday, March 25 at 10AM local

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 March 2022 - 08:10 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

#2211 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 23 March 2022 - 08:45 AM

Looks like still a fair amount of seats remaining for ZZ Top 

#2212 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 23 March 2022 - 08:54 AM

Is it just me, or is every performer who was popular in the 90s the first out of the gate with concerts? It's like the industry knows tickets are so expensive now, that the only way to sell liquor at these events is to get 50-year-old+ patrons into concerts.

• Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2213 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,848 posts

Posted 23 March 2022 - 08:57 AM

I don’t know. Part of the 50 or 60 yo crowd still doesn’t want to go to events.

That’s why Tom Cochrane and John Fogerty at a camp type festival looked odd to me.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 March 2022 - 09:00 AM.

#2214 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 23 March 2022 - 09:08 AM

You just need 5,000 of them. They'll show up. Lots of people in that age bracket are getting a second wind and want to party it up.

• Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#2215 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,009 posts

Posted 23 March 2022 - 10:11 AM

How else are we going to spend our cerb and Bitcoin windfall.
  • phx likes this

#2216 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,848 posts

Posted 24 March 2022 - 08:48 AM

THIS is exactly what is wrong with our set-up with Royal/Mac downtown.

This kind of show should not be relegated to Sidney.

Ontario rockers Big Wreck and Monster Truck team up Friday for hot ticket in Sidney
More new music is on the way from the four-time Juno Award nominees

#2217 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,009 posts

Posted 24 March 2022 - 09:11 AM

Is this not more a function of demand than anything else, possibly schedule conflicts?

McPherson is about twice the capacity of the Winspear centre, maybe when this show was booked and then rescheduled they weren’t sure about demand so went for the less expensive alternative. I’ve seen bands book two nights at the Winspear if demand is there.

Eta: the show is “nearing” sold out status the day before, if it’s not already sold out they probably made the right decision.

Edit again: ok ok I take it all back. This is at the Bodine hall, bigger than the Mac and is a hall, so room for dancing which the Mac does not. I bet this is going to be a great show!

Edited by Matt R., 24 March 2022 - 09:16 AM.

#2218 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,848 posts

Posted 24 March 2022 - 09:15 AM

It could be. Although nothing is booked at Royal or Mac tomorrow. But I’m sure facility cost is considerably cheaper at Winspear. I’m sure there is a way to reduce the costs downtown.

#2219 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,009 posts

Posted 24 March 2022 - 09:17 AM

I think they booked this hall because it’s a large dance hall, the Mac is not.

#2220 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 24 March 2022 - 12:13 PM

Lots of bands won't, and don't play soft-seaters like the Macpherson and the Royal.

They want the booze to flow, and the dance floor full of hard core partiers ... neither of which happens in a legitimate theatre like the ones downtown.

• Matt R. likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users