Concerts in Victoria + region + music industry news

• Please log in to reply
3054 replies to this topic

#2441 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 21 November 2022 - 09:43 AM

State Farm in Glendale (2 shows), AT&T Stadium in Arlington (3 shows) are Seatgeek. Both of those venues are not owned by Live Nation (2/20 venues on this tour).

This has nothing to do with Taylor Swift and any choices she may make as to who sells tickets to her shows though?

These two venues have contracted exclusives with Seatgeek for all ticket sales for their venue regardless of who the performer is (99% of the rest of the time Seatgeek is a third party reseller = scalper).

In short, if you want to play these venues, you use their exclusive ticket seller ... which is typical of the industry, definitely not a choice made by the artist (other than to play that particular venue).

• Nparker likes this

#2442 kayla

kayla
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 November 2022 - 10:05 AM

This has nothing to do with Taylor Swift and any choices she may make as to who sells tickets to her shows though?

These two venues have contracted exclusives with Seatgeek for all ticket sales for their venue regardless of who the performer is (99% of the rest of the time Seatgeek is a third party reseller = scalper).

In short, if you want to play these venues, you use their exclusive ticket seller ... which is typical of the industry, definitely not a choice made by the artist (other than to play that particular venue).

Oh, to be clear i wasn't disputing this. I was just answering your previous question about which shows weren't using the Ticketmaster platform. You can see my previous comment where I mention that anyone who books with a Live Nation venue must use Ticketmaster or affiliate companies.

You don't have to tell me twice about ticketing - I've been a box office manager for 10+ year for festivals and concerts.

Edited by kayla, 21 November 2022 - 10:06 AM.

• Mike K., Benezet and Spy Black like this

#2443 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 23 November 2022 - 07:09 AM

I got an event reminder for a performance at the Royal. What’s this about?

Please have your tickets ready to be scanned. If you have mobile tickets, please make sure your phone is in light mode so the QR code can properly scan.

What is light mode?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2444 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 23 November 2022 - 07:42 AM

Light mode and dark mode are setting options on an iPhone.

You can choose either one in depending on what your preference is in terms of a white background, or a black background for most apps and your home screen.

QR codes don't scan very well if your phone is in "dark mode".

They will eventually scan in dark mode, but usually when there's a thousand+ patrons arriving at a venue in the 20 minutes before the show starts, venues don't want to waste time scanning and re-scanning a QR code on a phone set to dark mode.

• Hotel Mike likes this

#2445 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 23 November 2022 - 07:58 AM

I printed my tickets. Perhaps I shouldn't have used black construction paper. 🤔

#2446 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 23 November 2022 - 08:00 AM

Oh, wild. My phone automatically changes its colour settings.

I look forward to holding up the line.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2447 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,029 posts

Posted 23 November 2022 - 11:15 AM

Most of the ticketing apps automatically turn your brightness up when you open the ticket. Who’s the ticket agent at the Royal these days, is it still in house?

#2448 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,967 posts

Posted 23 November 2022 - 11:52 AM

Most of the ticketing apps automatically turn your brightness up when you open the ticket. Who’s the ticket agent at the Royal these days, is it still in house?

Ya still a world away from apps where you put the ticket in your Apple Wallet then scan RFID.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 November 2022 - 11:52 AM.

#2449 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,029 posts

Posted 23 November 2022 - 12:11 PM

Weird. Similar to bc transit not taking credit cards on board - this is off the shelf tech, no need to reinvent the wheel here.

Now that I think about it, Winspear Centre says to “print this ticket and take it with you” lol.

Edited by Matt R., 23 November 2022 - 12:12 PM.

#2450 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 23 November 2022 - 12:19 PM

...Winspear Centre says to “print this ticket and take it with you”...

That probably has as much to do with their largest demographic as it does with prevailing technology.

• Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this

#2451 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,029 posts

Posted 23 November 2022 - 12:28 PM

Yeah, Sloan is getting up there for sure!

#2452 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,967 posts

Posted 23 November 2022 - 12:33 PM

Platinum Blonde played there too.
  • Matt R. likes this

#2453 kayla

kayla
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 November 2022 - 01:22 PM

RMTS uses Tessitura. Definitely more advanced these days than when we had to use them!

#2454 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 24 November 2022 - 11:34 AM

“VPD releases more pictures from Breakout Festival riot”

EF0E53A1-7A16-467F-9D17-79E667E34CCF.jpeg
https://vpd.ca/news/...-festival-riot/

#2455 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,967 posts

Posted 25 November 2022 - 02:16 PM

Arcade Fire's lead singer was accused of sexual misconduct. Why can't fans get ticket refunds?

https://www.cbc.ca/n...funds-1.6663276

Our Prime Minister was accused of sexual misconduct. And admitted to “multiple blackface”. Can we get a refund?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 November 2022 - 02:16 PM.

#2456 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,029 posts

Posted 28 November 2022 - 05:15 PM

Anyone check out The Offspring last night at the SOFMC? Holy cow, what a show! I don’t think I’ve seen a concert there quite so well produced.

Sound was loud and clear, bass enough to blow your hair back, lots of interactive stuff with the crowd like a rc blimp with a camera and some swag, massive balloons, beach balls, etc and great visuals on stage. The band worked their assess off too and sounded great and played all the hits and some newer stuff.

I didn’t know Josh Freese was their touring drummer, but he’s legendary. Noodles and Dexter were on point as well. Great time!

Now on to Modest Mouse at the Commodore! See ya there!

#2457 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 28 November 2022 - 05:21 PM

Anyone check out The Offspring last night at the SOFMC...

Does hearing it from my living room count?  :rolleyes: 

In all fairness, it wasn't all that loud and everything was quiet (at least as quiet as d/t Victoria gets) by 11:00 PM.

#2458 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,029 posts

Posted 28 November 2022 - 05:24 PM

Show ended promptly at 10:30, it was all very civilized and orderly I thought. Great crowd, more or less sold out but I think there were a few single seats left in the upper bowl. I was never a big fan of the band, but they put on a heck of a good show. Total pro!
  • Nparker likes this

#2459 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,967 posts

Posted 28 November 2022 - 09:14 PM

Anyone check out The Offspring last night at the SOFMC? Holy cow, what a show! I don’t think I’ve seen a concert there quite so well produced.

Sound was loud and clear, bass enough to blow your hair back, lots of interactive stuff with the crowd like a rc blimp with a camera and some swag, massive balloons, beach balls, etc and great visuals on stage. The band worked their assess off too and sounded great and played all the hits and some newer stuff.

I didn’t know Josh Freese was their touring drummer, but he’s legendary. Noodles and Dexter were on point as well. Great time!

Now on to Modest Mouse at the Commodore! See ya there!

The Offspring’s concert Sunday at the Save-on-Foods Memorial Centre was a two-pronged production. One half was great. The other? Not so much.

Singer-guitar Dexter Holland and his bandmates spent a portion of their first-ever performance in Victoria in search of something remarkable. They were flat and largely uninspired off the top, and the first 10 songs suffered from the formulaity. But when the five-piece from California found its groove at the midway point, the results were immediate and impressive.

Fatigue may have been a factor. The concert was the finale of an 18-date Canadian tour with Simple Plan, which got underway Oct. 31. It was evident early that Holland’s voice needed some rest and recovery, but he would not find any on this night. Some of the band’s more melodic material (such as Let the Bad Times Roll and Original Prankster) requires a dynamic range, which left straight-ahead material like Hammerhead and Bad Habit to carry the load early.

https://www.timescol...ia-show-6168617

#2460 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,029 posts

Posted 28 November 2022 - 09:43 PM

Dr. Holland is 56 years old, and has been belting it out for a long time. I haven’t been to many concerts in my life so can’t really compare it to much. I thought they all sounded really good, especially given the specifics.

I see Death Cab for Cutie is playing the Commodore in June, so waiting here during intermission I figured I’d open the app and buy a couple but no luck. Both shows sold out already.

Edited by Matt R., 28 November 2022 - 09:43 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users