Concerts in Victoria + region + music industry news

• Please log in to reply
3054 replies to this topic

#1461 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 05:42 PM

Maybe although I believe they are owned by Pandora and they likely were not releasing funds immediately to the festival organizer. The smart ticketing operators stage the payments out as the promoter hits certain milestones so they don't get caught like this.

If you used a credit card to buy your ticket then you can get a refund period. Having said that, Ticketfly and their bank will probably try to deny you the refund at first but if you stick to your guns you will get your money back. If they argue that you purchased the ticket more than 6 months ago and the credit card policy only goes back that far then you just point out that it is '6 months from the time of delivery of service'. The bottom line is that someone is going to be out money due to the bankruptcy and the lowest common denominator is usually the unsophisticated consumer.

I have gone to a lot of concerts and festivals and despite what your ticket might say about refunds or cancellations, 99% of it is unenforceable and/or violates consumer protection laws. 

So what did TicketFly do with money from sales between their last pay-out to Pemberton, and the time they heard it was bankrupt?  I presume Ticketfly did not refund that money.  They are making people fight for it back.  They will use that money to mitigate the losses on the money they gave to Pemberton earlier, and is charged back by credit card companies.  So it's still a bit of a shell game.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1462 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 06:04 AM

^ That is exactly what it is. Ticketfly (assuming that is who handles the funds for the tickets) and their bank are on the hook for the difference between what they held in reserve from Pemberton and what customers claim in refunds. I am assuming that any excess funds will become property of the receiver and any shortfall will become a debt that is owed to them by Pemberton. 

Looking at the E&Y documents, ticketholders are owed about $8.2M. Any cash that Pemberton has left will be paid to the CRA and accountants.

Edited by spanky123, 26 May 2017 - 06:10 AM.

#1463 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 03:35 PM

It looks like those who were anticipating the upcoming Bob Dylan concert will be left blowin' in the wind.

Due to scheduling issues, the Bob Dylan show on July 27 at Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre has been cancelled...

http://www.iheartrad...elled-1.2695179

#1464 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 03:56 PM

Tickets purchased online and by telephone will be refunded automatically.

So if you bought your ticket and then resold it you win?

I guess July 27th date conflicted with a venue that could sell his tickets.

• Nparker likes this

#1465 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 09:42 AM

(With VIDEO) Roxy Roller! Nick Gilder Sweeney Todd Group coming to Esquimalt for a free show Saturday, August 12th!

MORE:

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1466 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 10:10 AM

...Roxy Roller! Nick Gilder Sweeney Todd Group coming to Esquimalt for a free show Saturday, August 12th!

A bargain at twice that price.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#1467 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 05:01 PM

Oliver Swain tonight at the Treehouse Cafe, and Daniel Lapp tomorrow at ArtSpring, good couple nights of music here on Salt Spring!

Matt.

#1468 Langford Rat

Langford Rat
  • 405 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 05:19 PM

I saw Nick get booed off the stage (and hit with a tomato) at an outdoor concert called  "Summer Sunday" in Vancouver in the late 70s/early 80s. Jerry Doucette would be worth going for, though. Amazing blues guitarist. We saw him in a little blues club in Victoria in the mid 80s. Can't remember what it was called but it was originally two rooms and the connecting wall had been knocked out to make one space. The two floors were slightly different heights and there were people tripping all night long as they walked between the two rooms. A couple drunks up front kept yelling "sing Mama Let'em Play!" but he was having none of that. He was all about the blues that night.

Edited by Langford Rat, 13 July 2017 - 05:20 PM.

#1469 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:45 AM

Shambhala has to evacuate.  What a nightmare.

#1470 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:48 AM

Shambhala has to evacuate.  What a nightmare.

I thought they were just on alert?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1471 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:52 AM

Full evacuation as of 20 minutes ago, News 1130 tells me.

#1472 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:53 AM

EDIT:

Now the tell me...

CORRECTION: Evacuation order expanded for Nelway area, music festival under alert

An evacuation order has been expanded in the Nelway area, as wildfire jumps the Salmo River towards an electronic music festival in the Kootenays. The Shambhala Music Festival area is on evacuation alert.

#1473 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:00 AM

The Decemberists killed it in Vancouver on Tuesday night! Great show. Too short.

Matt.
  • thundergun and nerka like this

#1474 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:02 PM

thats a good band i remember buying one of their cds years ago (The King is Dead)  from a Starbucks counter took it home and liked it

• Matt R. likes this

#1475 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,601 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 07:58 AM

Stoked to pick up our tickets for Depeche Mode in Vancouver October 25 @ Rogers Arena; $125 for floor seats. That's gonna be a great show....

• Nparker likes this

#1476 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 08:08 AM

Stoked to pick up our tickets for Depeche Mode in Vancouver October 25 @ Rogers Arena; $125 for floor seats. That's gonna be a great show....

I think I've seen them 3x already.  Vancouver, Vancouver, Toronto.  Ya, I'll go to this one.  Violator (1990) is my favourite album (Policy of Truth, Enjoy the Silence, Personal Jesus).  

In 1987 I won a trip to Los Angeles.  And I swear that the one radio station we listened to in our rental car only played about a dozen songs.  Strangelove was one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIrm0dHbCDU

Blasphemous Rumours (1984) might be my favourite song, but Everything Counts is close behind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jus3BE9mdfI

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 13 August 2017 - 08:16 AM.

• Nparker and AllseeingEye like this

#1477 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,601 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 08:15 AM

This will be the fourth time I've seen the group. Nice to see a bunch of old geezers are still kicking. Great band....

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#1478 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 08:23 AM

This will be the fourth time I've seen the group. Nice to see a bunch of old geezers are still kicking. Great band....

Probably helps that Dave Gahan had/has sort of a baby face to start with.  But ya, these guys have been going for nearly 40 years.  Yikes.

Speak and Spell (featuring Just Can't Get Enough) was released in 1981.

Gotta credit my older brother, and KYYX Seattle for getting me into the band.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 13 August 2017 - 08:26 AM.

#1479 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 08:55 AM

... Violator (1990) is my favourite album (Policy of Truth, Enjoy the Silence, Personal Jesus)...

Probably THE best by Depeche Mode, and one of the best pop albums of all time. I am sure I wore out more than one cassette (yeah I know) listening to this album over & over on my Walkman. Haven't had the fortune of seeing DM live.

Edited by Nparker, 13 August 2017 - 08:55 AM.

#1480 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 09:18 AM

Wikipedia says:

As a sign of their rising popularity when Violator was released, a signing party for fans at a Wherehouse record store in Los Angeles that was expected to draw only a few thousand fans ended up drawing around 20,000. The band were forced to withdraw from the event due to security concerns, and it nearly caused a riot.

Lol a Depeche Mode riot might be amusing. Lots of scratching I'd presume and not much punching.

I just read they sold over 100 million albums worldwide. 48 songs in the UK charts. Amazing.
  • Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users