Concerts in Victoria + region + music industry news

• Please log in to reply
3036 replies to this topic

#1561 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 01:53 AM

I used to work at the arena.

Perk was I got to see everyone for FREE, as long as I was on the clock.

My highlight was probably meeting the members of the Metal band Testament who opened for Judas Priest one evening.  The singer was a great big Native American dude. Super friendly and all about professional show business. Then after the show KK downing from Judas priest walked up to me and shot the breeze for a while Then after the show some buddies of mine were down at Big Bad John's when Glenn Tipton of Judas Priest walked in to have to have some beers. When the bar closed, my buddy invited him back to his place down in the Hillside area for some more drinks. Glen came along and they drank and played guitar until the sun came up.

Also got to meet Sheryl Crow who was running up and down the back of the arena with her kid in a shopping buggy.

Edited by Star Dust, 10 February 2018 - 01:58 AM.

• GaryRanson likes this

#1562 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 04:10 PM

The global concert business was good to B.C. Place last year, with the Vancouver stadium edging out some famous venues to place top 10 in terms of tickets sold in North America.

This week the respected industry trade publication Pollstar issued its list of top-grossing tours and busiest venues in 2017.

B.C. Place was number nine in North America and number one in Canada for ticket sales in the category of outdoor stadiums and festival sites.

The downtown venue came in at 27th worldwide, topping such fabled spots as Seattle’s CenturyLink Field and Los Angeles’ Dodger Stadium. Mexico City’s Foro Sol was number one in the world.

https://www.straight...7-concert-front

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1563 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 09:03 PM

I was lucky enough to catch the Legendary Comedian George Carlin for his last appearance ever in Victoria back in 2007 at the Royal Theatre.

Just over a year later he passed away.  I kept my ticket stub, as I had a feeling he would never be in Victoria ever again.

Attached Images

• George Carlin Ticket 2007.JPG

Edited by Star Dust, 11 February 2018 - 09:05 PM.

#1564 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,226 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 09:39 PM

That was a good show. A true skeptic that man....

“I am a personal optimist but a skeptic about all else. What may sound to some like anger is really nothing more than sympathetic contempt. I view my species with a combination of wonder and pity, and I root for its destruction. And please don't confuse my point of view with cynicism; the real cynics are the ones who tell you everything's gonna be all right.” ― George Carlin

#1565 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:28 PM

That was a good show. A true skeptic that man....

“I am a personal optimist but a skeptic about all else. What may sound to some like anger is really nothing more than sympathetic contempt. I view my species with a combination of wonder and pity, and I root for its destruction. And please don't confuse my point of view with cynicism; the real cynics are the ones who tell you everything's gonna be all right.” ― George Carlin

Carlin was indeed  a TRUE and loyal Libertarian .  RIP

#1566 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 06:55 AM

He was the Bob Saget of daytime children's television: a lovable character kids eventually grew up to realize was really a foul mouthed, opinionated jerk.

Seeing the real Saget and Carlin for the first time were the best life lessons for us kids, lol.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1567 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:07 AM

He was the Bob Saget of daytime children's television: a lovable character kids eventually grew up to realize was really a foul mouthed, opinionated jerk.

Seeing the real Saget and Carlin for the first time were the best life lessons for us kids, lol.

Ah you must be young, having known Carlin as the Voice of that TRAIN on that childrens TV show?

I first heard Carlin on Vinyl as my dad used to buy his albums he put out of his live performances.

Edited by Star Dust, 12 February 2018 - 09:07 AM.

• AllseeingEye likes this

#1568 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:26 AM

Not a concert but I dropped by the Red Fox male amateur last night. Line up at 6:30 to get in. At capacity from 7 until midnight.

Generic stripping might be dead but these amateur nights are still crazy.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1569 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:51 AM

^Demographics?

#1570 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:58 AM

^Demographics?

All performers were male.  One was black.  I know at least one was gay.  The crowd was mostly people in their mid to late 20's I'd say.  70% female, 30% male.  I was not the oldest guy there, but was close.

$2,650 in cash prizes for top performers.  I think the cover charge was $10, so they made that at the door.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 12 February 2018 - 10:01 AM.

• Rob Randall and Matt R. like this

#1571 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,396 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:27 AM

...$2,650 in cash prizes for top performers...

Did you walk away with the top prize?  ;)

#1572 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:41 AM

I’m not quite in game shape. You can come watch me in a 5km foot race this summer if you like though. That’ll be quite a display.

#1573 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,396 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:49 AM

I’m not quite in game shape. You can come watch me in a 5km foot race this summer if you like though. That’ll be quite a display.

That sounds like I'd have to get off my couch. I'll just watch the post-race action on CHEK News.

#1574 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:58 AM

That sounds like I'd have to get off my couch. I'll just watch the post-race action on CHEK News.

It's in your neighbourhood, Royal Athletic Park, you can likely bring your couch that short way.

#1575 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,396 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:59 AM

It's in your neighbourhood, Royal Athletic Park, you can likely bring your couch that short way.

I'll give it some thought. 

#1576 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 07:07 AM

Well I guess Victoria might have seen one of the last intact Hedley shows. Not sure we will get a 6th visit.
  • Matt R. likes this

#1577 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 10:16 AM

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...tions-1.4541935

Hedley withdraws from Juno award consideration

Band facing allegations of sexual misconduct, will still tour

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 19 February 2018 - 10:16 AM.

#1578 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 04:51 PM

5440 playing an acoustic set this Thursday at the McPherson. Not looking to blow any roofs off at this one, but going to be a good show for sure.

Matt.
  • RoadRunner likes this

#1579 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 04:55 PM

Ya, they are good.

Went to Cactus Club last night, they had Hedley on their playlist lol.

The song "Crazy" - video.

If I have the story right (EDIT, I do), when Hootie picked up and covered 5440's I Go Blind, the revenue 5440 made off of it allowed them to build a basement studio somewhere.  Gotta love 1996 eh, when people had to buy physical CDs for real money.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 19 February 2018 - 04:59 PM.

• RoadRunner likes this

#1580 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 05:35 PM

It was funny to see 5440 on Dragons Den looking for a half mil. I figured they would be self sufficient by now.

Also, I have two extra tickets if anyone’s interested in the show!

Matt.
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users