Concerts in Victoria + region + music industry news

• Please log in to reply
3051 replies to this topic

#1601 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 12 March 2018 - 11:01 AM

They ALL do it too.  If an effective ban comes (and I doubt it will) then it will have big artists skipping BC.   Big win for Washington State. 

Yes, just like the big artists are now skipping Toronto following Ontario's new ticket laws in 2017. This isn't unknown territory and BC is not the first jurisdiction to contemplate limitations on ticket resale services and purchasing software (i.e. "bots"). Ticketmaster and StubHub aren't happy, but they're still in doing business in Ontario.

#1602 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,003 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 11:12 AM

Yes, just like the big artists are now skipping Toronto following Ontario's new ticket laws in 2017. This isn't unknown territory and BC is not the first jurisdiction to contemplate limitations on ticket resale services and purchasing software (i.e. "bots"). Ticketmaster and StubHub aren't happy, but they're still in doing business in Ontario.

You can still happily buy tickets in Ontario as the Government has done nothing to try and enforce the laws. Sounded good at the time though.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#1603 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 14 March 2018 - 07:49 AM

Skookum Music Fest in Vancouver roaring out the gate with one of the best festival line-ups this year. This is a new festival held in Stanley Park Sept 7-9

DYNJXaQUMAAT6vR.jpg

• thundergun and nerka like this

#1604 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:10 AM

The word Skookum entered into common vernacular due to the Skookum cast, a supposed impression in mud left behind by a bigfoot that laid down to strategically remove some apples left as bait and in the hopes that they would lure the animal.

more you know.jpg

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1605 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:14 AM

^ Really? That's a new one to me! I've always just known it as a west coast Canadian-ism, and found out a few years ago that it's a Chinook word for "strong"

• Nparker and Daveyboy like this

#1606 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:18 AM

Well, I'll be, The Killers and Metric are two of my top-10 bands.

Throw in Arkells and Dear Rouge that I like, plus other favourites there too.

• nerka and Jackerbie like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1607 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:20 AM

With the craziness surrounding the Sasquatch phenomenon there's tremendous value in using words and phrases associated with the myth. And why not? It's free for marketers.

I'm not saying the festival was necessarily named after the cast or the place in Washington, but the word is instantly recognizable and therefore marketable to millions of people.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1608 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:37 AM

That's about the playlist for The Zone right there.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1609 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 10:58 AM

Skookum tickets are $289 and $319 before fees.  That’s certainly not underpriced. I don’t think this will sell out first day.

Hope it does well though!

I guess they can later add single-day passes if they need to fill spaces.  They have capped it at 20,000 per day. 

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 14 March 2018 - 11:04 AM.

#1610 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 14 March 2018 - 03:00 PM

^ It won't sell out immediately, but I don't think they'll have any trouble selling passes. It a very good mix of big-name acts and local favourites (as you said, very The Zone, or The Peak for us mainland folks).

Tickets go on presale tomorrow, general sale on Friday

#1611 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 03:30 PM

David Lindley cancelled in Victoria for next Saturday.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#1612 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,009 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 11:04 PM

Looking forward to seeing Sloan again tomorrow night as they tour Canada in support of their latest album, “12”. Hard to believe these guys have been together and making music for 27 years.

First time for me at the Capital ballroom too, hope they improved it a little over Sugar.

See you all there!

Matt.

#1613 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 06:37 AM

Glad they're still around. Haven't heard a lot from them lately. 27 years is crazy--to put it another way, it's the Rolling Stones career from 1963 to 1990.

#1614 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 07:37 AM

Whoa, well when you put it that way...

Know it all.

#1615 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,009 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 01:33 AM

Sloan was awesome tonight, a double set. They must have played 25 songs.

Capital City ballroom is a bit of an upgrade from Sugar, btw.

Matt.
  • lanforod likes this

#1616 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 06:43 AM

Roof still on?

I do have to wonder how they’ll deal with complaints from the Yates on Yates and Vivid towers. Regardless of who came first there’s going to be a major change to the make-up of that block once the residences are lived in by early 2021.

Know it all.

#1617 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 06:58 AM

I think the good news is that dispersal is usually pretty swift afterwards.   I think if they do a hip-hop/gangster show, Atomique will put that at Distrikt.

#1618 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 07:00 AM

Sure, but it’s the ambiant noise of the area ahead of a show, during the show, etc. Thursday night is a work night but you can bet the music went on well into the night.

That’s not gonna fly with people who bought million dollar condos.

Know it all.

#1619 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,009 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 04:54 PM

Yep, the roof is still attached, and they didn’t run out of decent beer by half time!

Matt.

#1620 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 02:02 PM

The Juno award-winning Canadian synth-pop outfit Glass Tiger are set to perform at the McPherson Playhouse on Friday, November 9. The band are known for their iconic singles "Don't Forget Me (When I'm Gone)" and "Someday" from their 1986 quadruple platinum record The Thin Red Line. Glass Tiger will perform material from their latest record 31, which features reworked songs from the band's back catalogue, as well as new material. Support for the evening comes courtesy of Toronto singer-songwriter Jessica Mitchell.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

kayla