Concerts in Victoria + region + music industry news

• Please log in to reply
3054 replies to this topic

#1641 PraiseKek

PraiseKek
  • Validating
  • 415 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 02:31 PM

Who's taking over concert announcements now that a certain poster is on the lam?

#1642 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 11:28 AM

For you veteran rocker fans, Rod Stewart will be performing at the SOFMC on Oct. 30.

https://www.vicnews....returns-oct-30/

"More than 13 years after christening the Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre’s concert setup, and making waves by wearing a hardhat on stage, Rod Stewart is making his return to the Victoria arena."

#1643 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 12:19 PM

For you veteran rocker fans, Rod Stewart will be performing at the SOFMC on Oct. 30.

https://www.vicnews....returns-oct-30/

"More than 13 years after christening the Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre’s concert setup, and making waves by wearing a hardhat on stage, Rod Stewart is making his return to the Victoria arena."

That makes it sound like it is his first time back since the opening show, but I'm pretty sure he has in fact been here once in the interim.

#1644 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 01:24 PM

That makes it sound like it is his first time back since the opening show, but I'm pretty sure he has in fact been here once in the interim.

Aha! Rod Stewart was booked to play here again in 2009, but the show was cancelled.  I was sort of right, but mostly wrong.

#1645 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 08:45 PM

If you're wondering what the noise coming out of Centennial Square was all about, it was the Vancouver Island Metal Festival. There will be one more free show at the same site tomorrow at 4 PM.

https://www.facebook...25158221593552/

#1646 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,029 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 03:57 PM

In town to see Jeff Tweedy melt some hearts at the Capital Ballroom tonight. Sad to see Bedouin Soundclash cancel their show last night, I was looking forward to that one.

Off to Vancouver for Steve Earle at the Commodore in the morning. Wish me luck!

Matt.

#1647 catfluff

catfluff
  • 50 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 08:39 AM

KISS on their 'End of the Road' tour at the Rogers Arena on January 31. Tickets on sale this Friday, Nov. 2.

#1648 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 02:11 PM

In town to see Jeff Tweedy melt some hearts at the Capital Ballroom tonight. 

Going down to the car deck on the ferry and I held the door open for a guy and it was Jeff Tweedy. I was tempted to say "Hey Jeff, big fan!" but realized he'd probably say were you at last night's show and I'd have to say, "Ah, yeaaahh,......no. But uh, still a big fan."

#1649 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 02:24 PM

Off to catch SOJA in Vancouver on Thursday.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#1650 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,029 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 07:14 PM

Jeff Tweedy was absolutely perfect, I’ve never seen Sugar so full yet so quiet during a set.

Steve Earle the following night at the Commodore, however, was a different story. Part way through the album he basically said “shut the **** up, you’re hear to listen to me - not the other way around”. Great band to see live. Left early.

Next Wednesday is j mascis at the Imperial in east van, not a venue I’ve been to before, but I’ve been a Dino Jr. fan forever and then Barney Bentall and the Cariboo Express at th Fulford Hall on November 19. What a great show they put on! I think they are skipping Sooke this year and doing three shows in Sidney. Don’t miss it!

Matt.

#1651 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 30 October 2018 - 08:59 AM

Steve Earle the following night at the Commodore, however, was a different story. Part way through the album he basically said “shut the **** up, you’re hear to listen to me - not the other way around”. Great band to see live. Left early.

Yup, that sounds about right for the Commodore! It's a strange venue in my experience, having the dance floor flanked by tiered dining room seating. The layout doesn't direct all attention to the stage, so to me feels like whatever act is performing is there as an accompaniment to dinner/drinks/whatever.

#1652 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 October 2018 - 09:08 AM

Steve Earle hasn’t ever been a particularly “audience friendly” guy.

He’s positively angelic these days though ... when compared to the days when the entire band and road crew were all heroin addicts (Copperhead Road era).
  • AllseeingEye and Matt R. like this

#1653 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,029 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 01:05 PM

I am not a steve Earle fan, but wasn’t going to pass up an opportunity to hear Copperhead Road in its entirety on its 30th anniversary. Good time!

Matt.

#1654 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,600 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 04:48 PM

Steve Earle hasn’t ever been a particularly “audience friendly” guy.

He’s positively angelic these days though ... when compared to the days when the entire band and road crew were all heroin addicts (Copperhead Road era).

Yup...he was an utter d!ck when he played here in 1992-ish right 'smack' in the midst of that era, pardon the pun.

Good sound reproduction but I spent the night ogling his sister; our group wasn't at all enamored with ol' Steve's pontificating on stage either. I pay my $ to hear you play - I didn't sit there in those uncomfortable rinky dink Royal Theatre seats so you could spew your politics or grind whatever your axe is in my direction for two hours - I am completely indifferent on both scores. 

#1655 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 747 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 01:35 PM

Weird All Yankovic announced for August 21 as SOFA.

http://sofmc.com/eve...s-attached-tour

#1656 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 09:00 AM

Great guy. I met him once in Malibu. Should be a fun show.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#1657 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,967 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 02:28 PM

corey hart at the arena at $60 and up?  

crazy.  crazy if it does not get cancelled.

• Matt R. likes this

#1658 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 30 November 2018 - 02:33 PM

That's a steal, tickets are over $100 in Vancouver at Rogers Arena

#1659 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 02:34 PM

Victoria Watcher, on 30 Nov 2018 - 2:28 PM, said:

Still around?  I saw him in the mid 80s at the PNE.  He brought up a girl to stage from the crowd (like the Springsteen video) and she threw up on him.

That was the concert highlight.

• Matt R., thundergun and Victoria Watcher like this

#1660 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 02:49 PM

corey hart at the arena at $60 and up?  crazy.  crazy if it does not get cancelled.

His concert will probably not utilize the full SoFMC set-up. I am sure nostalgia for the 80s will likely ensure Mr. Hart can fill at least 4000-5000 seats.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users