Concerts in Victoria + region + music industry news

• Please log in to reply
3051 replies to this topic

#1661 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,852 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 03:12 PM

wikipedia tells me he sold 16 million albums in the 80's. that's certainly enough to fund a 20-year hiatus in barbados.

#1662 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 03:21 PM

His concert will probably not utilize the full SoFMC set-up. I am sure nostalgia for the 80s will likely ensure Mr. Hart can fill at least 4000-5000 seats.

There are rumours that other cities on the tour have a couple of other '80s acts on the same bill so this might be a full-blown arena show.

• Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#1663 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 03:31 PM

Oh, interesting. That’d be alright if they had another act.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1664 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 04:14 PM

Oh, interesting. That’d be alright if they had another act.

From the 80s? Only if it was Depeche Mode, Flock of Seagulls or the Smith's. But.....Corey Hart?? Ugh.... :)

#1665 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 04:24 PM

From the 80s? Only if it was Depeche Mode, Flock of Seagulls or the Smith's. But.....Corey Hart?? Ugh.... 

I think you underestimate the desire of ladies now in their late-40s to mid-50s to see an idol from their youth - especially if he's retained his "smoulder" from the past.

• Rob Randall likes this

#1666 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 04:42 PM

I think you underestimate the desire of ladies now in their late-40s to mid-50s to see an idol from their youth - especially if he's retained his "smoulder" from the past.

I'm married to one of those late 40's to mid 50's ladies...Mrs ASE just rolled her eyes and made a face when she found out he was playing here. Sounds to me like his royalties from the '80s have run dry and Msr Hart needs a paycheck. 

#1667 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 05:30 PM

I'm married to one of those late 40's to mid 50's ladies...Mrs ASE just rolled her eyes and made a face when she found out he was playing here. ...

Meanwhile several of my female co-workers from this same age group are pretty excited.

#1668 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 05:58 PM

Meanwhile several of my female co-workers from this same age group are pretty excited.

Of that I have no doubt and they are very welcome to their hero, lol. I mean....seriously....."Sunglasses at Night"? Bubble gum pop at best. But of course to each their own.

And I get very well the "it was a different time and place" yada yada yada, but I paid $15 to see Led Zeppelin - $60 (or $100 apparently in Vancouver) to see Corey_Hart? Hahahahahahaha. That borders on the ludicrously unfair for the younger folks. God bless 'em though if they're willing to fork over the dough, and good for Hart if he can pull it off......

#1669 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 November 2018 - 09:03 PM

I give Corey Hart mad props for what he did 20 years ago.

He walked away from selling out arenas like B.C. Place with huge hits like "Never Surrender" and "Sunglasses at Night" ... all to raise his four children as a full time dad.

Now that his oldest kid is over 20, and the youngest kid is old enough to join the old man for a few gigs while he's out on tour ... Hart is stepping back into the touring/recording business.

He actually had some great songs, all of them featuring exceptional production - and most of them still standing up quite well today, all of 20 years later.

16 million fans is a lot of fans. They don't usually forsake a favourite artist with a life great story.

He'll do very well.

Edited by Cassidy, 30 November 2018 - 09:03 PM.

• Matt R. and Bob Fugger like this

#1670 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 06:41 AM

Of that I have no doubt and they are very welcome to their hero, lol. I mean....seriously....."Sunglasses at Night"? Bubble gum pop at best. But of course to each their own.

And I get very well the "it was a different time and place" yada yada yada, but I paid $15 to see Led Zeppelin - $60 (or $100 apparently in Vancouver) to see Corey_Hart? Hahahahahahaha. That borders on the ludicrously unfair for the younger folks. God bless 'em though if they're willing to fork over the dough, and good for Hart if he can pull it off......

Well, that $15 ticket in 1973 to see Led Zeppelin is roughly $80 today, so Corey Hart seems like a bargain.

#1671 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 09:17 AM

I hear Corey Hart puts on a good show; doesn't phone it in like a lot of oldies acts.

I'm married to one of those late 40's to mid 50's ladies...Mrs ASE just rolled her eyes and made a face when she found out he was playing here. Sounds to me like his royalties from the '80s have run dry and Msr Hart needs a paycheck. 

Hmm, I'm curious what bands actually capture her attention.

#1672 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 10:38 AM

Well, that $15 ticket in 1973 to see Led Zeppelin is roughly $80 today, so Corey Hart seems like a bargain.

victoria:  $52.50, $72.50, and $102.50 (plus service charges)

He has not played a concert in Victoria in more than 30 years.

https://www.timescol...tour-1.23514658

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 01 December 2018 - 10:39 AM.

#1673 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 10:44 AM

Corey Hart Never Surrender Canadian Tour 2019:

Friday, May 31 – St. Johns, NL – Mile One Centre
Tuesday, June 4 – Halifax, NS – Scotiabank Centre
Wednesday, June 5 – Moncton, NB – Avenir Centre
Thursday, June 6 – Quebec City, QC – Videotron Centre
Saturday, June 8 – London, ON – Budweiser Gardens
Monday, June 10 – Sudbury, ON – Sudbury Community Arena
Tuesday, June 11 – Kingston, ON – Leon’s Centre
Wednesday, June 12 – Ottawa, ON – Canadian Tire Centre
Friday, June 14 – Toronto, ON – Budweiser Stage
Saturday, June 15 – Montreal, PQ – Bell Centre
Tuesday, June 18 – Winnipeg, MB – Bell MTS Place
Thursday, June 20 – Calgary, AB – Scotiabank Saddledome
Friday, June 21 – Edmonton, AB – Rogers Place
Saturday, June 22 – Kelowna, BC – Prospera Place
Monday, June 24 – Victoria, BC – Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre
Tuesday, June 25 – Vancouver, BC – Rogers Arena

• Matt R. likes this

#1674 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 01:52 PM

I hear Corey Hart puts on a good show; doesn't phone it in like a lot of oldies acts.

Hmm, I'm curious what bands actually capture her attention.

She's a prairie girl so mostly "new" country acts like Keith Urban, Blake Shelton, Kenny Chesney etc., along with older stand-by acts like Garth Brooks, Brooks & Dunn and Blue Rodeo. 

#1675 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 07:49 PM

Going to see George Strait on Friday in Vegas, supposed to be a good show.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1676 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,014 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 10:29 PM

Took in a great performance tonight to benefit a local, award winning fiddle player and multi-instrumentalist named Wesley Hardisty who is moving to Yellowknife towards the end of the month to pursue his music full time teaching, performing and mentoring youth in the north. Amazing young man, hugely talented and he will be missed. He’s also been working the last 3 1/2 years as my morning baker, which he is also very good at.

We are sad to see him go, and struggling to fill his shoes, but wish him nothing but the success he so richly deserves. He’s one of the most driven and talented young people I’ve met. Not many people can make the 5:15 am start time work so consistently for so long!

Worth a look on the YouTube, and his friends have arranged an online fundraiser to help with his move. Tonight’s performance was at the Anglican Church and was well attended, with about 250 ppl stuffing the donation box!

https://www.indiegog...d-hittin-home#/

Matt.
  • Mike K. and Sparky like this

#1677 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 09:53 AM

corey hart tickets went on sale yesterday. today they are on groupon at 40% off.  bad sign.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 December 2018 - 09:55 AM.

#1678 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 11:41 AM

A friend who's a big Corey Hart fan got ahold of the fan presale code and got his tickets the millisecond they went on sale, long before anyone else could get a crack at them. He was disappointed to find his tickets were 15 rows back. He was even madder when the rest of the tickets were released a few days later and front row tickets were available. So much for fan codes.

• Matt R. likes this

#1679 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 12:00 PM

what was to have been his last concert ever and first since 2002 only sold about 12000 seats at his hometown montreal in 2014.

i think he has timed his comeback about a decade too late. he's 56.  in comparison the oldest backstreet boy is 47 the youngest 38 (they are selling well on their 2019 tour).hart was already 22 or 23 when he first hit big i'm not sure he ever had a big teenage girl fanbase.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 December 2018 - 12:01 PM.

#1680 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 07:53 PM

George Strait is 65, he put on a great show. Sang for two hours straight. Didn't like the warm up act Lyle Lovett.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users