Concerts in Victoria + region + music industry news

• Please log in to reply
3036 replies to this topic

#1881 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,300 posts

Posted 27 February 2020 - 03:43 PM

wait until the melania trump tour comes to town in 2026.  $5k per ticket.

"how we defeated coronavirus - and cancer - all in two terms"

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 February 2020 - 03:44 PM.

#1882 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 12 March 2020 - 09:41 AM

Bucking the cancellation trend these days, The Killers have announced a North American tour this summer. They'll play Rogers Arena in Vancouver on August 21, and The Gorge Amphitheater in Washington on August 22.

#1883 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,300 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 09:42 AM

is that the band the killers?  or is it that the coronavirus?

somebody told me.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 March 2020 - 09:43 AM.

• Bernard and Dietrich like this

#1884 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 06:14 PM

Great band, and well worth making the trek over to YVR and spending to the $ to see....

#1885 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 06:39 PM

Live Nation is suspending all arena shows until the end of the month, at least.

Hope it’s short lived, I’ve got some great shows coming up in April and May!

Matt.

#1886 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 11:35 AM

Victoria's Artist in Residence Kathryn Calder will be live streaming a concert from home on Friday, April 3 at 7:30 p.m. PST.

Tune in to Kathryn’s YouTube channel here:

https://youtu.be/D57NnlUVNXg

The Victoria-based musician, songwriter/recording artist and recording studio owner was selected as the City’s Artist in Residence last year. For the past 15 years, Kathryn has been recording and touring as a vocalist/ keyboardist with indie rock group The New **rnographers. She has also released three solo records, five albums with Immaculate Machine, and one album with her latest project, Frontperson.

For more information, visit: http://ow.ly/oJEO50z2IKe

#1887 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 12:25 PM

It must be tough for musicians. These days touring is the only way to make money.

#1888 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,394 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 12:40 PM

....These days touring is the only way to make money.

Unless you are paid to be a municipal "artist in residence" of course.

• Bernard likes this

#1889 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,300 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 03:54 PM

if anyone wants a change of pace tonight’s e-talk special is a repeat of last summers David Foster special.

https://www.theloop....nd-giving-back/

Check your local listings.

#1890 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 06:19 PM

I am really enjoying the Facebook live concerts Tom Hooper (Grapes of Wrath) is doing from his house on Salt Spring the last week or so! 7 pm most nights.

Matt.
  • Mike K. likes this

#1891 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,300 posts

Posted 17 April 2020 - 05:17 AM

Fans around the world — and now two members of the U.S. Congress — are demanding the world's largest entertainment company, Live Nation, refund tickets for all events cancelled or postponed by the COVID-19 crisis.

Live Nation, which owns Ticketmaster and took in $11 billion US in concert and ticket revenue last year, is under pressure from customers to return their money immediately, as many are struggling to pay their bills during the pandemic and there's no telling when people will be going to concerts again.

The company announced this week that while it honours refunds for shows that have been officially cancelled, 90 per cent of its shows are simply being postponed for dates in the future that have yet to be set.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...id-19-1.5535213

#1892 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 17 April 2020 - 05:40 AM

The John Prine Canadian tour is listed on Ticketmaster's site as officially cancelled, a decision made easier due to the fact of his unfortunate death. 

I don't see any major concerts happening for several months so in my book that sounds a lot like a cancellation scenario.

#1893 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 17 April 2020 - 12:06 PM

I’ve got a few grand in outstanding concert tickets. Would much rather keep them to be used at a later date, but I think for many the cancellations are coming as there is just no end in sight. Postponing to September or October is probably not in the cards for some of the bigger venues. Sad!

Matt.

#1894 jasmineshinga

jasmineshinga
  • 332 posts

Posted 17 April 2020 - 12:13 PM

The first few tour dates for Rammstein's show are being delayed/rescheduled due to COVID. I have waited 20 years to see them, so if my September dates get canned I'm going to be a little upset. That said, I was willing to fly to LA for a 20 hour period and stay in a shitty little roadside motel just to see them, so if it's rescheduled at all I am going to be there. Hopefully it's not Eurocentric when it's rescheduled... though I do miss Berlin.

~ Jasmine ~

#1895 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 17 April 2020 - 12:34 PM

Did you see that YouTube video of them setting up for a show?

https://youtu.be/JgGuRKgvWQ4

Matt.
  • jasmineshinga likes this

#1896 jasmineshinga

jasmineshinga
  • 332 posts

Posted 17 April 2020 - 12:50 PM

Oh yeah, they are INSANE in concert. Currently getting my hype on watching the Live at Madison Square Gardens + Paris tours (on Prime). My TV lacks the bass to do it justice.

~ Jasmine ~

#1897 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,300 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 01:35 PM

The latest cancellation sure to disappoint eager fans comes from the Steve Miller Band. The band, along with special guest Gary Mule Deer, was scheduled to appear at the Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre in Victoria on Sept. 1, but has been cancelled due to the pandemic, out of an abundance of caution, according to a press release.

https://www.vicnews....id-19-pandemic/

#1898 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,300 posts

Posted 24 April 2020 - 05:04 PM

Two huge summer musical festivals near Lake Cowichan have been cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic — Sunfest and the Laketown Shakedown.

In an announcement on their website, Sunfest organizers vowed to return July 29-Aug. 1, 2021, saying they will announce the 2021 lineup this fall.

https://www.timescol...lled-1.24124188

#1899 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 25 April 2020 - 09:03 AM

Mike alluded to it in another thread, but I question the need to announce every entertainment cancellation as it occurs?

Here's the painful reality IMO, live entertainment in all of its forms won't be returning in Victoria (or anywhere else for that matter) for the duration of 2020, and very likely much longer than that.

Most people already realize that live entertainment won't be returning until such time as a vaccine has been developed, which is between 12 to 18 months.

Add another three or four (or more) months to allow for everybody in the world to get vaccinated (likely as the vaccine keeps running out due to worldwide demand), and you'll see live entertainment slowly return ... but it will be into the last month or two of 2021 before that happens.

Unfortunately, there won't be much to see when it does return, as most arts orginzations and concert promoters will have gone completely broke long before.

Local and regional arts organizations will likely begin to struggle financially towards the end of summer and into the Fall of 2020.

Complete failure and closing down are all going to be just a matter of each organizations available cash reserves combined with as yet unannounced massive government grants given without terms and conditions, and with the express purpose of keeping arts organizations functional and alive until COVID passes in a year or two.

Then there's the reality that even if things open back up in a year and a half or two years, residents who traditionally were patrons of the arts will likely be financially strapped to the point where buying a ticket to a show is the last thing they would commit their available funds to.

Rather that money that would have in good times bought tickets to a rock show, or a dance or symphony performance - will instead be spent on food, or clothing for the kids.

In short, everybody will be broke, many will be out of work, and local businesses will have been devastated. The arts organizations that do manage to survive COVID will perform to empty houses simply because nobody has any money with which to purchase tickets to see a show.

I think people need to accept that they'll be living in a world without any live entertainment of any type, for at least a year, and likely longer than that. 

Your computer and big screen TV is the only place you'll be seeing any artistic presentations at all for the next couple of years.

So maybe we just say that everything "live" is canceled for at least the next 6-10 months (although more likely 15-20 months), and leave it at that.

And I do get that all of the above is depressing beyond words, but it's the reality of live entertainment and COVID - as opposed to some sort of pointless pipe dream where live entertainment starts up again in a few months with theatrical "social distancing" and face-masks for all.

#1900 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,300 posts

Posted 26 April 2020 - 02:00 PM

6:30pm tonight:

Join iconic Canadian artists, activists, actors, and athletes as they share their stories of hope and inspiration in this national salute to our frontline workers and in support of Food Banks Canada’s COVID-19 relief efforts.

https://strongertogethercanada.ca/

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users