Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Ballantyne Building Office Tower | 9-storeys | Canceled in 2007

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,185 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 04:30 PM

The church is developing the property on its own? Can't say I've heard of many church-managed developments before -- apart from churches, of course.

A partnership with a large development company should have been an ideal situation. What went wrong?

#42 Number Six

Number Six
  • 261 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 04:51 PM

I know of at least one ... my grandfather was involved in this project:

http://www.firstbapt...hparkmanor.html

#43 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 08:56 AM

I see that Westbank has taken over two of the commercial spots in this building for themselves.

#44 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,185 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 01:23 PM

That would explain why The Falls' display suite at Upper Harbour Place in Vic West has been recently gutted.

#45 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,185 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 07:09 PM

According to signs at that retail space on Douglas Westbank has a new website for Victoria at http://westbankvictoria.com/

Not much happening on there just yet.

#46 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 08:14 PM

De Hoog and Kierulf will design both properties. Peter De Hoog will design a tower for the Ballantyne's building for Westbank Corp. and Charles Kierulf will design the Kirk Hall tower on behalf of St. Andrew's church.

DhK will present to the Planning Department tomorrow.

#47 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,185 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 04:09 PM

This project, along with the independent office project next door (St. Andrew's Church's Kirk Hall site) may have been canceled.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#48 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 05:22 PM

This project, along with the independent office project next door (St. Andrew's Church's Kirk Hall site) may have been canceled.

What percentage does 'MAY' equal?

#49 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,185 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 10:43 AM

Given the difficulty Westbank will have securing a rezoning for an office large enough with which to turn a profit in a reasonable amount of time, I'd say their decision may be a smart one.

I'd hate to be in their shoes given the slowdown in the housing market and having recently been rejected over a proposal that could have been a phenomenal development (Crystalview). I'm sure they still have a very sour taste in their mouth over the money they spent on that project and the prospects of doing it again on an even more difficult site could be detrimental to the company's bottom line.

But who knows. For all its worth the proposal could be on hold for now but that doesn't necessarily mean they won't eyeball the situation and propose something when the right opportunity presents itself.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#50 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 02:06 PM

Well at least they didn't leave a giant hole.

#51 Mark R.

Mark R.
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 07:33 PM

I know this is reviving a rather old thread however, does anyone have a copy of the UVIC pictures, the links are dead and i'd love to see them!

#52 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 08:52 PM

Are you talking about these?

http://www.maltwood....s/dicastri.html

#53 Mark R.

Mark R.
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:28 PM

Yes thank you, are there any other original images of the building that you or anyone else knows of? I've done a fair bit of research and haven't come up with any myself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users