Tobacco Free in the CRD (smoking ban)

• Please log in to reply
405 replies to this topic

#341 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,240 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:15 AM

Isn't the rule 'no smoking within x meters' etc.? So long as you don't smoke, but just move to put the finished but still burning butt in the disposal, should be fine. Most of the smoke comes from exhalation, not so much from the slow burn of a nearly finished cigarette, I think?

#342 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:22 AM

Isn't the rule 'no smoking within x meters' etc.? So long as you don't smoke, but just move to put the finished but still burning butt in the disposal, should be fine. Most of the smoke comes from exhalation, not so much from the slow burn of a nearly finished cigarette, I think?

The people that will use that receptacle, where will they be smoking?  I'm guessing that west of Langley, there is no place except in the middle of Yates that is 7m from windows, doors and vents.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#343 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:32 AM

The majority of smokers in that area stand outside Lucky, Podium and Fiamo. Few will venture over to the Reef to chuck a butt.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#344 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,240 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:40 AM

The majority of smokers in that area stand outside Lucky, Podium and Fiamo. Few will venture over to the Reef to chuck a butt.

That's where it should be then. Stupid...

#345 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,237 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:47 AM

With the advent of ecigs I'm seeing a lot more public smoking these days.... Invest in tobacco companies me thinks....

#346 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:14 AM

It's not the most discrete-looking device, I'm not sure I'd want it on my wall attracting smokers.  I wonder what the thinking is on the Reef's part.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#347 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:58 AM

You certainly wouldn't want people smoking beside your patrons sitting in the outdoor area. Seems like a very poorly thought out location for something that could have been very effective 30 meters to the west.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#348 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 02:59 AM

Weird.

IMAG1270.jpg

Know it all.

#349 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 05:04 AM

Huh.  I wonder what the rules are for smoking on construction job sites.  Watching a bit of work at the Era yesterday, there appears to be no rules there, smokers working alongside non-smoking workers.

#350 eseedhouse

eseedhouse
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:51 AM

Huh.  I wonder what the rules are for smoking on construction job sites.  Watching a bit of work at the Era yesterday, there appears to be no rules there, smokers working alongside non-smoking workers.

Worksafe B.C. would be very unhappy about that if they knew.

#351 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,240 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 30 April 2014 - 10:31 AM

If I was a contractor, I'd have a no smoking rule - not so much for the ETS issue, but more for the fire risk.

#352 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 10:36 AM

If I was a contractor, I'd have a no smoking rule - not so much for the ETS issue, but more for the fire risk.

A problem may be that the rate of smoking in the construction industry certainly seems to be much higher than other industries.

#353 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:56 PM

A problem may be that the rate of smoking in the construction industry certainly seems to be much higher than other industries.

Well, sure.  The industry would attract smokers imo, as how many other jobs are there were you can be outside smoking every day in a friendly communal atmosphere while working at a good wage?

jbw

#354 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 07:51 AM

Weird.

attachicon.gifIMAG1270.jpg

Well, that did not last long.  Gone this morning.  Hey, I took another selfie.

1a3.jpg

#355 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 07:54 AM

To the right of your photo the bars themselves set up either two or three movable cigarettes butt garbage canisters. They are positioned where the smokers congregate, not where customers of the Reef are eating.

If you scroll up this page you'll see someone placed one of those movable containers next to the one the city installed, but that was there for only a couple of days before it was moved across the alley.

Know it all.

#356 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:03 AM

Is it just me or are there a lot of smokers in Greater Victoria?

#357 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:06 AM

No way Jose. You should see what goes on in Europe! We're a church choir compared to the nightlife and the smoking that goes on there.

Know it all.

#358 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:23 AM

I know there are a lot of smokers in Europe, and especially Asia. I'm talking about Canada.

• Matt R. likes this

#359 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:24 AM

We are far lower than pretty much every other province and it is my observation that there are more smokers in Vancouver than Victoria. 

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#360 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:32 AM

Yup, you're right. BC has a very low smoking rate.

http://www.statcan.g...alth74b-eng.htm

Smokers amaze me. Three ladies at work used to go downstairs for a smoke several times per day. One is now on her death bed from lung cancer (early 50's), but the other two still make the trek downstairs several times a day to go out for a smoke together.

• Matt R. likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users