• Please log in to reply
405 replies to this topic

#361 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 June 2014 - 09:11 AM

I'm starting to wish smoking would be banned BC wide in apartments/condos. 

Individual buildings could ban it, but applying the bylaw it to existing residents would be difficult.  If you tell someone they can no longer smoke in their suite, you can bet you'd get all sorts of complaints from the smoker about other irritants they have to put up with.

Now that the nice weather is here, my neighbour likes to sit on the deck to smoke.  And of course my fan blows it all right on into my place.  :whyme:

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#362 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 02 June 2014 - 09:41 AM

Individual buildings could ban it,

Not just newly built buildings, but existing buildings could have a 'no further smokers (renters, owners, guests/visitors of renters, owners) allowed'; and the huge source of objection, existing smokers, 'grandfathered' in to be allowed to stay.  The typical 5% annual turnover of residents leads to pretty much no smoking at all in every building in twenty years.

jbw

editted to add:  The latest View Towers highrise fire was yet again started by a cigarette.  Think of how much safer highrises would be with fewer and eventually no smokers residing in them!

However, we do need to provide a place for smokers to indulge (and, within the city limits -- not quite fair to tell them to go smoke out by the Hartland Dump).  So, I suggest coin operated kiosks (negative air pressure and full HazMat grade scrubbing of the toxic emissions involved before being released to the environment).  Perhaps one on every downtown street corner?  Just like there used to be payphone booths.

Edited by James Bay walker, 02 June 2014 - 09:47 AM.

#363 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:24 AM

Individual buildings could ban it, but applying the bylaw it to existing residents would be difficult.  If you tell someone they can no longer smoke in their suite, you can bet you'd get all sorts of complaints from the smoker about other irritants they have to put up with.

Now that the nice weather is here, my neighbour likes to sit on the deck to smoke.  And of course my fan blows it all right on into my place.  :whyme:

I want my townhouse complex to ban smoking.

Every unit has a balcony which faces the main courtyard area. There used to be only one unit that had smokers in it, but recently we have had three (one group of three smokers in one unit just moved out yesterday, thankfully).

It's amazing (and gross) how one guy smoking a cigarette 50 feet away can make my living room reek of tobacco smoke just because the balcony door is open.

• Nparker likes this

#364 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:32 AM

I had something similar happen in my condo last night. A nasty combination of doob & tobacco wafted through my open window. Next time this happens I am going exercise my right to empty my toilet bowl onto the offenders.

#365 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:26 PM

What about weed? It seems like marijuana gets a pass but smokers are harped on (best evidence is at a concert -- people smoke joints non-stop). I personally don't like the smell of marijuana and asking someone not to smoke it so close to me is akin to telling a mother her child is being too loud in a restaurant.

Considering FAR MORE people smoke weed than smoke cigarettes before we barrel head first into straight up legalization we should stop to discuss where it is appropriate to consume it and how consumption will be enforced on public property or in public spaces.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#366 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:31 PM

Considering FAR MORE people smoke weed than smoke cigarettes before we barrel head first into straight up legalization we should stop to discuss where it is appropriate to consume it and how consumption will be enforced on public property or in public spaces.

Are you sure?  Are you supposing almost all tobacco smokers are also weed smokers, plus all the non-tobacco smokers that smoke weed recreationally?  Only 60,000 Canadians can legally consume weed.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#367 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:43 PM

I would say marijuana use among 15-40 years olds is far higher than tobacco use among the same cohort. Far, far more people will smoke marijuana at that age than a cigarette. However, cigarettes are smoked much more frequently and this leads to a higher rate of incidents of bystanders smelling the tobacco of course.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#368 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:48 PM

Weed can be awful for sure.

Thankfully none of my neighbours smoke weed outside.

#369 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:47 PM

What about weed? It seems like marijuana gets a pass but smokers are harped on (best evidence is at a concert -- people smoke joints non-stop). I personally don't like the smell of marijuana and asking someone not to smoke it so close to me is akin to telling a mother her child is being too loud in a restaurant.

Do you dislike the smell of pot because you dislike the smell or because it's an illegal substance you don't want to be around?

If I had to choose between tobacco cigarettes or marijuana to waft in from the neighbour's place I think it would be the latter.  I don't particularly like the smell either but at least I know it's not laced with all the chemicals in tobacco cigarettes.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#370 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:52 PM

If I had to choose between tobacco cigarettes or marijuana to waft in from the neighbour's place I think it would be the latter...

Whereas I would choose the latter; especially a nice pipe tobacco. IMHO weed wouldn't stink any less if it was smoked at High Mass (pun intended) in St. Peter's Basilica.

#371 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:58 PM

I have no beef with the stuff whatsoever, I just don't like the smell of it. It has a very invasive, strong smell and it's just not something I've ever really liked.

Know it all.

#372 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:59 PM

Whereas I would choose the latter; especially a nice pipe tobacco. IMHO weed wouldn't stink any less if it was smoked at High Mass (pun intended) in St. Peter's Basilica.

You mean the former? ;)

Really, you'd rather breath in second-hand cigarette smoke than marijuana? 

#373 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 June 2014 - 02:04 PM

I have no beef with the stuff whatsoever, I just don't like the smell of it. It has a very invasive, strong smell and it's just not something I've ever really liked.

I don't really like it either.  It's pretty strong.

One person in my building smokes it and it's pretty strong in the suite upstairs from them.  But what can you do?  Complain about it and then you get complaints back saying that you're banging your dishes around too much when you wash them.

#374 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 02:27 PM

Really, you'd rather breath in second-hand cigarette smoke than marijuana? 

I'd rather breath in neither, but the smell of weed makes me want to vomit; I can tolerate the smell of most tobacco.

#375 eseedhouse

eseedhouse
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 06:46 PM

I'd rather breath in neither, but the smell of weed makes me want to vomit; I can tolerate the smell of most tobacco.

I don't care if it's tobacco smoke, marijuana smoke, or burning incence.  Your right to enjoy it does not extend to my lungs, and it's up to you, if you are producing smoke, to keep it away from me and others.

#376 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 June 2014 - 07:30 PM

I don't care if it's tobacco smoke, marijuana smoke, or burning incence.  Your right to enjoy it does not extend to my lungs, and it's up to you, if you are producing smoke, to keep it away from me and others.

One of the residents in my building (who is a regular smoker...) claimed that our BBQ ban wasn't for fire safety, it was to prevent cooking odors from blowing back into the building. 

What's your take on BBQ smoke? 

#377 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:20 PM

Your right to enjoy it does not extend to my lungs, and it's up to you, if you are producing smoke, to keep it away from me and others.

If it's bothersome, you could lug around a SCBA (Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus), similar to SCUBA gear, and be sure of smoke free air.  But I agree, smoking should be done in a manner that does not impinge others, in or out of the home setting.

jbw

#378 eseedhouse

eseedhouse
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:20 PM

One of the residents in my building (who is a regular smoker...) claimed that our BBQ ban wasn't for fire safety, it was to prevent cooking odors from blowing back into the building. 

I would say the same thing applies.  Smoke is bad for my lungs.  Smells, within reason, are another thing.

Edited by eseedhouse, 02 June 2014 - 08:22 PM.

#379 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:24 PM

It's a stench that ought not be produced in other than isolated settings.  Certainly not in a highrise or row houses where a vagrant breeze can push your rancid grease smoke odours to several if not dozens of neighbours. 

If you must BBQ, use a Hibachi indoors on the stovetop and let your oven's fumehood deal with it (hopefully, equipped with an activated charcoal filtration system).  Or (if permitted) use a Hibachi out on the beach during a windy day (rain's optional).

jbw

#380 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:49 AM

Jbw, you don't like the smell of bbq smoke? Wow. Gotta be one of my top 5 favorites, and I suspect the same for many people.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users