Photo

Tobacco Free in the CRD (smoking ban)

• Please log in to reply
405 replies to this topic

#81 Guest_Marcat_*

Guest_Marcat_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2009 - 09:25 AM

^If second-hand smoke is your biggest hardship in life you might want to learn about something called "history", focus on the middle-ages and learn about some of the things that transpired during that time. :rolleyes:

I think people often forget that there is only a link between cigarette smoking and related health problems. That seems accurate given the number of smokers i've known (myself included) who have never suffered a single smoking-related health problem. My best friend smoked 2-3 packs a day for 30 years and is actually in fairly good health so I would really like to see some stats on second-hand smoke because that link becomes a lot blurrier than even smokers who often don't experience health problems in spite of all the propaganda about how dangerous smoking is. I really hope the slippery slope we are all sliding down towards laws for everything stops really soon.

Except for spicy food. I wouldn't be upset if parliament enacted laws banning spicy food. :D

I was going to write agreeing with you...until you asked for a law banning spicey food, then I was getting lynch mob set together to go after you.

As with some others on here, I'm getting sick of this agrument, if you want to live in a world where the government controls everything, I hear China and Cuba might be choice destinations, in the meantime, if the worst thing in you're life is whining and complaining about second hand tobacco smoke, why don't you take a trip down to east hastings and spend half the energy and thought that goes into the anti-tobacco crusade and go help some of those people, or maybe go head down to Africa...be thankful you live in the country that you do. We don't always get what we want, thats the biggest problem with our generation, and the ones that are coming out now, they forget the hard times (which maybe we're coming into...or rather are in...) and seem to think they entitled to a perfect world.

Well I'll tell you what... I find the ladies who wear excessive perfume to be offensive (it on occasions will put me into a sneezing fit or cause my airways to constrict), as do i find the fumes from taxi's idling offensive (hello global waing...), I find the smell on people with bad b/o offensive (its called anti-perspirant...), I find the smell of patchuli offensive (I don't live on a commune...), I find the numerous smells in apartment buildings offensive (pot smoke, cooking, bo, mould, years of neglect etc...), i find the immigrants that come into this country that cannot abide by our laws offensive (gang war far, driving like you are in bangkok, tax evasion etc etc etc), but you don't see me devoting my life, time or energy into inacting laws to control everything I don't like in this life.

I accept the fact I live in a diverse, multi-cultural country with many problems that over time will work themselves and integrate into society, I accept the fact that individuals are entitled to their own choices, and I do not wish to see the government try to place any more control on my life, than they already do. If you don't like the smells, and perils of big city life, or living near humans, than I suggest you buy some land in timbucktoo and move out there so you can live free of all the worlds harmful toxins and smells.

(ohhhh yeah, if you don't like walking through a cloud of smoke, cross the street, if you don't like staring at cig butts, don't look at the ground (ps. I find mcdonaldsand other fast food garbage far more offensive that tobacco products on the ground...) I also find bright colors on houses offensive, as do I crappy architecture...but GUESS WHAT? Life ain't perfect, stop you're whining and griping, be THANKFUL we live in the country we do, and if you breathe in a few breathes of smoke now and again suck it up, because I don't like breathing in you're bo, perfume, idling exhaust etc...and YES this is the right topic for this rant, because, it relates directly to how RIDICULOUS this entire topic of more and more control on our lives via tobacco and liquor laws is...

#82 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 11:18 PM

Well Said!
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#83 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 12:20 AM

Thanks Caramia for that concise reply. My thanks as well.

#84 osmich

osmich
  • 205 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 05:49 PM

I was going to write agreeing with you...until you asked for a law banning spicey food, then I was getting lynch mob set together to go after you.

As with some others on here, I'm getting sick of this agrument, if you want to live in a world where the government controls everything, I hear China and Cuba might be choice destinations, in the meantime, if the worst thing in you're life is whining and complaining about second hand tobacco smoke, why don't you take a trip down to east hastings and spend half the energy and thought that goes into the anti-tobacco crusade and go help some of those people, or maybe go head down to Africa...be thankful you live in the country that you do. We don't always get what we want, thats the biggest problem with our generation, and the ones that are coming out now, they forget the hard times (which maybe we're coming into...or rather are in...) and seem to think they entitled to a perfect world.

Well I'll tell you what... I find the ladies who wear excessive perfume to be offensive (it on occasions will put me into a sneezing fit or cause my airways to constrict), as do i find the fumes from taxi's idling offensive (hello global waing...), I find the smell on people with bad b/o offensive (its called anti-perspirant...), I find the smell of patchuli offensive (I don't live on a commune...), I find the numerous smells in apartment buildings offensive (pot smoke, cooking, bo, mould, years of neglect etc...), i find the immigrants that come into this country that cannot abide by our laws offensive (gang war far, driving like you are in bangkok, tax evasion etc etc etc), but you don't see me devoting my life, time or energy into inacting laws to control everything I don't like in this life.

I accept the fact I live in a diverse, multi-cultural country with many problems that over time will work themselves and integrate into society, I accept the fact that individuals are entitled to their own choices, and I do not wish to see the government try to place any more control on my life, than they already do. If you don't like the smells, and perils of big city life, or living near humans, than I suggest you buy some land in timbucktoo and move out there so you can live free of all the worlds harmful toxins and smells.

(ohhhh yeah, if you don't like walking through a cloud of smoke, cross the street, if you don't like staring at cig butts, don't look at the ground (ps. I find mcdonaldsand other fast food garbage far more offensive that tobacco products on the ground...) I also find bright colors on houses offensive, as do I crappy architecture...but GUESS WHAT? Life ain't perfect, stop you're whining and griping, be THANKFUL we live in the country we do, and if you breathe in a few breathes of smoke now and again suck it up, because I don't like breathing in you're bo, perfume, idling exhaust etc...and YES this is the right topic for this rant, because, it relates directly to how RIDICULOUS this entire topic of more and more control on our lives via tobacco and liquor laws is...

Wow, Marcat it sounds like you have a few rants of your own that you are dealing with. You put the anti-tobacco crusaders to shame.

#85 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 11:37 AM

I if you don't like staring at cig butts, don't look at the ground

I was with you basically until here. There is no real excuse for smokers throwing their cigarette butts on the ground for someone else to clean up.

#86 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 11:41 AM

Littering is already against the law though, so no need for a bylaw to sort that out. I don't approve of people throwing butts in the garbage can though, too much of a fire risk. I would prefer they placed any flammable materials in the conveniently located ashtrays that are everywhere... or... oh wait...
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.

#87 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 06:09 PM

I'm beginning to find the cigarette butt issue more annoying than the smoke thing. There are times that I find the smell of tobacco smoke somewhat pleasing/evokative - esp pipe smoke on an autumn day (Mat will get the reference!) But smokers who seem to think that the world is their ashtray, and chuck their butts wherever thay feel like it really pi$$ me off. You wouldn't dump your household garbage in the middle of the street - so why do that with a cig butt? GRRR:mad:

#88 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 March 2009 - 05:49 PM

I wish smoking was banned in condos and apartments.

My neighbor downstairs smokes and my new neighbors upsdairs smoke, and I can smell it wafting into my place. I haven't pinpointed where it comes through yet, other than down through the clothes dryer ducts.

Why is it not unreasonable to ask your neighbors to walk a bit lighter instead of stomping around, but you can't ask them to stop smoking?

#89 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 09:15 PM

You can buy in a non smoking building.

#90 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 March 2009 - 10:45 PM

You can buy in a non smoking building.

A little late for that unfortunately. I know the bylaws prevent people from smoking in common areas, but I didn't realize they could restrict it to in your suite too. Then again if they can prevent pet ownership I am sure they can restrict cigarettes too.

Unfortunately I wasn't banking on things like poor insulation and shared ducting when I bought into this building. I guess it's just one of those things you don't realize until after you have dropped a quarter mil on a place.

#91 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 12:01 AM

Why is it not unreasonable to ask your neighbors to walk a bit lighter instead of stomping around, but you can't ask them to stop smoking?

Have you actually asked your neighbours to walk more lightly?

North Shore, you said, "You wouldn't dump your household garbage in the middle of the street - so why do that with a cig butt? GRRR:mad:"

Geeze I dunno, maybe because cigarette butts are a lot smaller. So now cigarette butts are a major source of pollution? :rolleyes:
In chains by Keynes

#92 AnonAnnie2

AnonAnnie2
  • 151 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 08:54 AM

Birds and small animals are harmed by cigarette butts.

Cigarette butts contain at least 165 chemicals.

Small animals and birds mistake butts for food.
When ingested it can lead to malnutrition and even starvation because the butt can block the intestinal tract and prevent digestion, or accumlate in the tract, making the animal feel full and lesson its desire to feed.

The chemicals? thats a cancer aspect, gene altering and when applied to evolution...wow I just don't have enough space here to go on about that.

Just say'n.

#93 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 10:29 AM

I hate when people use the exhaust fumes excuse regarding tobacco smoke and the McDonald's litter excuse when talking about discarded butts. As if ugly litter was an all-or-nothing proposition.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#94 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 05:04 PM

North Shore, you said, "You wouldn't dump your household garbage in the middle of the street - so why do that with a cig butt? GRRR:mad:"

Geeze I dunno, maybe because cigarette butts are a lot smaller. So now cigarette butts are a major source of pollution? :rolleyes:

Ok, I guess I'll just rip my garbage up into small pieces, and then it'll be ok to dump it on the street?

Geeze, indeed; lessons learned in Kindergarten: #1. Clean up after yourself.:rolleyes:

#95 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 05:22 PM

Solution?

#96 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 06:10 PM

Birds and small animals are harmed by cigarette butts.

Cigarette butts contain at least 165 chemicals.

Small animals and birds mistake butts for food.

It'd be better if we had less dumb animals though. Smart ones would know the difference. BTW, a bird is an animal.

#97 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 March 2009 - 11:10 PM

I had a co-worker once who rode a motorcycle to work every day. He wore a helmet without a visor and was hit in the face by a flying, burning cigarette butt.

But because they're small, I guess it is OK to discard them without care.

One or two may go unnoticed, but 50 on the road sure looks crappy. And let's not forget how many fires are started that way too.

#98 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 March 2009 - 11:13 PM

No. While annoying it hasn't actually gotten to the point that it is too bothersome.

Smelling their cigarette smoke is bothersome, but I can't exactly ask my neighbors to kick their drug addiction overnight.

#99 AnonAnnie2

AnonAnnie2
  • 151 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 05:41 AM

It'd be better if we had less dumb animals though. Smart ones would know the difference. BTW, a bird is an animal.

LOL

Yup, a bird is an animal...
I wanted to differentiate between large animals and small animals, most large animals do not bother with butts.....

I couldn't agree with you more...less dumb animals would certainly be better..i.e. the upright kind - humans.

#100 phx

phx
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 06:04 PM

Cigarettes are the main source of Canadian marine debris, according to a new report from a U.S. ocean conservation organization.

During the 23rd annual cleanup in September, 390,881 volunteers from 104 countries collected more than three million kilograms of debris — the weight of 18 blue whales — or 7.6 kilos of trash for every participant.

http://www.canada.co...4923/story.html

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users