Emergency Preparedness - are you ready?

• Please log in to reply
212 replies to this topic

#61 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:44 PM

amusing thread ..I am prepared ..food and water for the family ..for 6 or 7 days ..power for the house ..if it's still standing ..the RV if it's not ...and the boat if all else fails.. frustrating part ..started this in the 80's and have learned to rotate food stocks ..and the water tanks flushed seasonally..wasted a lot of food learning that ..has anyone else gotten more then a change of clothes and a few candy bars set aside ??

Well, you can go quite well with no food for up to 30 days, if you are healthy to start with.

We are surrounded by water, so that's not an issue. You can drink it.

We have relatively warm weather most of the year, I don't think we even need heaters in the home, if you bundled up.

We also have free enterprise and people that know how to turn a buck. Ya, your food might be expensive for a few days, but that's a good thing, it prevents waste.

I don't see the point of being all that prepared.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#62 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:53 PM

I don't see the point of being all that prepared.

If I was a wealthy man, my home would be built to survive the zombie apocalypse and be self-sustaining for several weeks.

A megathrust quake wouldn't faze it one bit.

Sadly I get to live in the real world in a wobbly house of cards, but that's OK, city hall will surely have school gyms littered with cots to sleep on.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#63 kenjh

kenjh
  • 310 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:00 PM

not a lot of water that does not have oil or some contaminate in it ..wet and cold will kill you .even here ..in 96 ..i had a diesel generator ready ..we got lucky ..a wind storm took out power to my kids place for 6 days ..and he lived near duncan ..a small gen-set kept heat and light's on at his place..he is on well water ,so that's not a problem ..it is just one thing I never worry about ..knowing I have made one more step to protect my family ..something I would never expect or trust to anyone else..

#64 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:27 PM

not a lot of water that does not have oil or some contaminate in it ..wet and cold will kill you .even here ..in 96 ..i had a diesel generator ready ..we got lucky ..a wind storm took out power to my kids place for 6 days ..and he lived near duncan ..a small gen-set kept heat and light's on at his place..he is on well water ,so that's not a problem ..it is just one thing I never worry about ..knowing I have made one more step to protect my family ..something I would never expect or trust to anyone else..

Well, don't get me wrong, I would not want to leave it to the government, but I believe in people's ingenuity in times of crisis.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#65 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:33 PM

but I believe in people's ingenuity in times of crisis.

You do remember what happened after Katrina, right?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#66 kenjh

kenjh
  • 310 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:40 PM

Katrina ..yah .. cleaned up and everyone safe in a few weeks right ??

#67 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:08 PM

Yeh, that's the one ;)

#68 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:06 AM

You do remember what happened after Katrina, right?

Yes, a group of chronically poor people that tended to rely on government for everything in their lives were let down by that government.

http://www.sfgate.co...ANE-2513605.php

The rest of us will work it out.

#69 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:58 AM

Has anyone considered stashing survival supplies somewhere in the wilderness like at a hidden camping spot? I've mused about skipping out of town for a week to two weeks in the event of a severe catastrophe.

Of course the ability to leave town is limited to the degree of damage to our road network.

Which leads me to another question. In the event of an emergency, where do you think people will want to go? North (Cowichan) or west (Port Renfrew)?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#70 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:16 PM

Has anyone considered stashing survival supplies somewhere in the wilderness like at a hidden camping spot? I've mused about skipping out of town for a week to two weeks in the event of a severe catastrophe.

Of course the ability to leave town is limited to the degree of damage to our road network.

Which leads me to another question. In the event of an emergency, where do you think people will want to go? North (Cowichan) or west (Port Renfrew)?

What kind of lingering disaster do you have in mind? Most people would like to stay and protect their homes and belongings, be it rented or owned. Frankly, I'm surprised how many sheep in the US heed the warnings and leave town, considering how few deaths happen to healthy people, and how few homes are destroyed, especially better-built ones.

We aren't going to get a storm here that we see coming, and wildfires won't ravage the city core, and we aren't going to know about the earthquake, and after it's done, the worse is over, no need to flee... So I don't see why anyone is heading out of town.

#71 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:11 PM

...and we aren't going to know about the earthquake, and after it's done, the worse is over, no need to flee... So I don't see why anyone is heading out of town.

I'll have to disagree. It's only after an earthquake that problems begin.

There is little reason to stick around an urban centre after a megathrust earthquake unless you're looking for loved ones or need your basic necessities met -- and it's a given that your basic necessities won't be met for at least several days, probably closer to a week, after an earthquake. That much is guaranteed while first responders attempt to gain control over a ravaged city.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#72 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:44 PM

Survival Sparky style.

1-Gasoline, check
2-Generator, check (# 1 and #2 give us water from the well, lights, refrigeration, music)
3-Rifle and ammunition, check (provides food and protection)
4-Bicycles, check
5-An oak barrel full of two year old wine, chock (...oops must have been testing the wine) :)

did I miss anything?

#73 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:26 PM

The chance of a Japan-sized quake hitting Victoria in our lifetimes has got to be worse than one in 10,000 or 50,000, or 100,000. Ya, a big one might hit somewhere in BC in our lifetime, but the chance of it being here? Inconsequential. As a life-saving or life-extending, measure, you'd be far better off going and getting a full-body MRI every six months looking for an early cancer onset, or changing jobs to one where you drive less.

#74 kenjh

kenjh
  • 310 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:33 PM

being prepared is like exercise ,practice ..and ability ..for me .. it is knowing I can help and protect my family ,and friends ..

#75 dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds
  • 214 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:03 PM

Survival Sparky style.

1-Gasoline, check
2-Generator, check (# 1 and #2 give us water from the well, lights, refrigeration, music)
3-Rifle and ammunition, check (provides food and protection)
4-Bicycles, check
5-An oak barrel full of two year old wine, chock (...oops must have been testing the wine) :)

did I miss anything?

Just that you don't need all of them right away just #3, with #3 you can get 1,2,4,& 5 anytime you choose :)

#76 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:01 PM

^ :)

#77 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:27 PM

I have found the solution.

What you need is an "ark", that will house all your family and their toys as well as pets and livestock. The large tankage will carry enough fuel to run the generators, and there is capacity for millions of litres of fresh water.

This vessel will be anchored in a secret location and will be invisible to the unprepared fleeing hordes, due to its cloaking device. As the ship is a catamaran it can rest comfortably on the bottom if the tide should suddenly recede, indicating an approaching tsunami.

I have ordered such a vessel, and it is seen here on it's way from Aboo Dabee.

#78 kenjh

kenjh
  • 310 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:42 PM

now your just being silly ...and I have a boat

#79 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:02 PM

now your just being silly ...and I have a boat

Yup! you can do all the preparation you want but when disaster strikes you are likely going to be in somebody elses home that could fall down around you. Like VHF says, maybe we should drive less.

#80 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:21 AM

The chance of a Japan-sized quake hitting Victoria in our lifetimes has got to be worse than one in 10,000 or 50,000, or 100,000. Ya, a big one might hit somewhere in BC in our lifetime, but the chance of it being here? Inconsequential. As a life-saving or life-extending, measure, you'd be far better off going and getting a full-body MRI every six months looking for an early cancer onset, or changing jobs to one where you drive less.

The odds of the major fault off of our coast ripping for several hundred kilometers is close to probable in the lifetime of my kids. The odds are only about 1 in 100,000 on any given day but that number rises over time. The last time we had a major one it was among the largest earthquakes to happen.

We also are in danger of the sort of minor small scale earthquake that hit Christchurch in New Zealand and no one knows what the odds are of that other than it will happen sometime. We have seen seven quakes of that scale or larger in the last 100 years within 200 kilometers of this city, the last being in 2001 in Seattle. The 1946 quake happened in a location that is among the quietest seismically on the south coast.

The small scale Christchurch earthquakes are a total crap shoot, the impact will be in a smaller area and the degree of damage is dependent on a host of factors that make it a complex event when you are looking at the potential for damage.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users