Emergency Preparedness - are you ready?

• Please log in to reply
212 replies to this topic

#141 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:21 PM

Even if you're protected and prepared to the nines, if your house is on fire and your emergency kit is inside you're at the mercy of emergency personnel. And should you be trapped in your home after an earthquake your food and emergency reserves will be of no use.

Emergency preparedness personnel have so much as confirmed that average citizens will have no emergency assistance for a period of seven days after a major catastrophe. That's at least 7 liters of water per person, per day. There's absolutely no way that even well prepared families will have enough water, food and other necessities to withstand the after effects of a major earthquake in the middle of winter. Well prepared people will be relying on and expecting emergency services several days after an incident.

Well, almost any human can go weeks without food, so that's not the main priority. Water is.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#142 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:28 PM

What do I need all this baby food for??
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#143 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:04 PM

Nothing if you don't have a baby.

#144 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:20 PM

Baby food is highly nutritious, cheap, and easy to store.

Your toilet tank, if it survives, contains enough water to sustain you for a while. I suppose the contents of your hot water boiler are potable.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#145 kenjh

kenjh
  • 310 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:08 PM

com'n guy's ..look around ..even in a full blown disaster ..something we have never had ..remember the 100 year snow storm of 96? everything in town stopped ..did anyone die here ? no ..the big quake of 64' ..a few broken chimmy's the tsunami that hit port alberni. only a few died ..a flat of beer and a couple bags of hot dog's and your good !!

#146 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:14 PM

Unlike the blizzard of '96, the earthquake damage will be something that leaves thousands of people homeless and will take months, if not years to clean up.

That's a lot of hot dogs.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#147 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:19 PM

We wont need any survival kit because the end of the world is in 2 weeks today and everyone will be dead.

Does anyone have any big plans coming up .
Hell 2 weeks doesn't leave much time to clean up the bucket list.
I just wish they said what time its going to happen and I am hoping that they will announce that and give it in local time not UTC because I always screw up doing the conversion

My plan is to eat my turkey dinner on the 21st about 3o minutes prior to the end because I will be fast asleep on the couch after gorging myself with the dinner and wont feel anything when the end happens..

Oh I forgot I think Ill have sex a few more times before dinner too.

#148 phx

phx
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:27 PM

Meanwhile, thousands are injured and trapped in Victoria, and we have difficulty communicating up the peninsula to put rescue workers where they're needed most.

Here is a thought: Victoria could do something in the way of disaster preparedness, then there would not be thousands injured and trapped.

#149 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:33 PM

Realistically, how many of our 1940-1980's buildings will sustain a megathrust quake?

I'm thinking quite few. Lots of Victorians live in mid 70's apartments which will no doubt be severely damaged. I don't see how hundreds, if not thousands of residents won't be trapped for several days.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#150 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:37 PM

On a serious note my emergency kit is basically my back pack which sits ready to go and contains the following:

Sleeping Bag
Change of Clothes
Cook Stove
A Pot and a Pan
A ceramic Katadyn Water filter
A water bottle
Some activated Charcoal
Fuel for stove
Fire Starter
First Aid Kit
Many Packages of Dehydrated food from MEC
Eating Utensils and a sharp knife
Batteries
Camera
A small Shortwave radio with AM FM and shortwave bands
Tylenol
Duct Tape
Spool of Coated Fishing Twine
A Compass
An emergency Bivy Bag the reflective body warming type that is reusable
A solar recharger mat that can be used to charge cell phone or give power to other small electronics.

I have more things in it but this is the basics I have

This backpack sits ready to go.

Outside near my vehicle I also have a 20ltr pail army thing full of water
A chainsaw
Some fuel and oil and a file
A small shovel

Its not everything but its enough for me to survive for a while

#151 kenjh

kenjh
  • 310 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:41 PM

my plan ..start the motorhome go for a drive and collect what i need ..

#152 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:18 AM

my plan ..start the motorhome go for a drive and collect what i need ..

If the road is passable.

#153 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:35 AM

What do I need all this baby food for??

Haha, just a generic list, it should also have included pet food as well. But if you dont have a kid or a pet then you wouldnt need that would you:whyme:

The most important items would be water, first aid and cash. Most food you have in the cupboard will be salvaged and refrigerated/frozen food needs to be consumed first.

Really its a case of looking at your current situation and adapting the list. If you are in a house you most likely have room to store this, if you are in a condo...not so much. Plan for the event happening at the worst time of year i.e. January in very cold weather and consider what you would need to stay warm and dry for a few days. Talk to friends and family and see about pooling resources, you may have a friend with a house and another that has a generator etc.....really at the end of the day its up to you how prepared you are, the government isnt going to help you for days.

Just look at the simple clusterf^ck that happened with the burst watermain in Oak Bay, they took hours to respond when it should have been less than 90 minutes. Its stuff like this that local govt should be focusing on practising all the time instead of worrying about hybrid cars for the police chief and stupid traffic calming lanes that fire trucks cant maneuver past.

#154 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:32 AM

If you are in a house you most likely have room to store this, if you are in a condo...not so much. Plan for the event happening at the worst time of year i.e. January in very cold weather and consider what you would need to stay warm and dry for a few days.

For sure CASH will be important.

I think you'd be surprised how much extra room you might have in your condo for food.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#155 phx

phx
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:33 PM

Realistically, how many of our 1940-1980's buildings will sustain a megathrust quake?

I'm thinking quite few. Lots of Victorians live in mid 70's apartments which will no doubt be severely damaged. I don't see how hundreds, if not thousands of residents won't be trapped for several days.

It's the non-reinforced masonry buildings that are going to trap and kill people. A lot of them are not economical to retrofit seismically. Why is the city not condemning them, or at least encouraging their demolition?

#156 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:27 PM

It's the non-reinforced masonry buildings that are going to trap and kill people. A lot of them are not economical to retrofit seismically. Why is the city not condemning them, or at least encouraging their demolition?

There are plans to convert old shipping containers into housing units, so why not take that one step further and bury one in the ground as an emergency shelter fully stocked with food and water, sort of like the old fallout shelters of the 1960's.

There are probably a few of those shelters still out there, just like the old oil tanks that residents have been hiding in their back yards.

#157 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:19 AM

com'n guy's ..look around ..even in a full blown disaster ..something we have never had ..remember the 100 year snow storm of 96? everything in town stopped ..did anyone die here ? no ..the big quake of 64' ..a few broken chimmy's the tsunami that hit port alberni. only a few died ..a flat of beer and a couple bags of hot dog's and your good !!

Sorry but this kind of nonsense is dangerous.

During the '96 snowfall water and power were never off for the entire region at any time. There were some power outages but I do not believe anyone was without running water.

What is being discussed here is an event that will leave most or all of Greater Victoria without electrical power or running water for days. If you do not see a risk, fine but many others do and flippant comments such as yours are neither helpful nor welcome.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#158 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:36 AM

I think it was more of a tongue in cheek comment by someone who is very much prepared for a disaster.

But thanks, tedward, we do need to be mindful that there are some impressionable folks out there that may take suggestions or comments like that at face value.

#159 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:47 AM

I survived Hurricane Ike in Houston, Texas with no power for 16 days (a category 4 hurricane). I’ve also been through several tropical storms.

Attempting to evacuate was such a **** show we decided to hunker down at home. The highways were clogged and the gas stations were empty. We got about 50 miles from home when we were down to a half tank of gas already. It took over five hours to get that far. We decided we’d rather ride out the storm at home than in the ditch and out of gas.

The good and bad thing about hurricanes is that you know they’re coming, so there is some time to prepare, although forget about going to the store to buy any water or canned foods as they are usually gone days before the storm comes. There was a run on gasoline, but we managed to fill up our vehicles and a few canisters.

The storm itself was terrifying. I’ve never heard such noise before. Other than the storm itself, the aftermath involved quite a bit of clean-up and trying to eat as much thawing meat as possible before we had to throw it out! The dogs didn’t eat kibbles for two weeks, which they really enjoyed.

There were FEMA trucks set up within a couple of days where we could stock up on ice, which was really nice. The power system took an absolute beating. I forget the number, but there was something like tens of thousands of downed power lines. Southeast Texas is heavily treed, so there were lots of trees and branches taking out lines and poles.

Some things I've learned:
-Always have at least one spare propane cylinder for your barbeque. You can really cook anything on a barbeque as long as you don’t mind ruining some pots and pans. Coffee, eggs, bacon, mashed potatoes, oatmeal, rice…you name it you can cook it on a barbeque!
-Having gas hot water tanks and stoves is great for situations where the power is out but gas is still available. We had gas hot water tanks and were still able to take warm showers, which was awesome given the heat.
-The power company was able to selectively restore power to the most critical places first. Hospitals, fire stations and police stations got power back first and grocery stores, gas stations (most didn’t have gas though) and shopping malls were a close second. Residential areas took forever to get power back though.
-Texas and Lousiana are really hot in the summertime, especially without air conditioning.
-Mosquitoes and generators are equally terrible and annoying.
-Swimming pools get really gross really quickly when there’s no electricity to circulate and filter the water.
-The power being out was surprisingly not that boring. We found lots of stuff to occupy our time.

#160 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:57 PM

http://www.dailymail...t-Cold-War.html

Wisconsin family discovers fully-stocked fallout shelter in their back yard 50 years after it was installed at the height of the Cold War

For more than a decade after they moved into their house in Neenah, Wisconsin, the Zwick family knew they had a Cold War bunker in their backyard.

It was not until 2010 that anyone thought to open the heavy steel hatch, climb down the ladder and explore the 8-foot-by-10-foot chamber that the home's previous owner had built to protect his family from a nuclear attack.

[...]

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz2l8CJHB2H
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users