Photo

Emergency Preparedness - are you ready?

• Please log in to reply
212 replies to this topic

#161 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:25 PM

There is a lot to be learned from the Christchurch experience. As a high rise dweller I was interested to learn that for the most part the buildings stayed intact, but the building systems failed. So - no elevator, maybe no power, maybe no water or waste water systems. So I might be able to stay here for a few days, until it is declared uninhabitable. I have enough food and bottled water for 72 hrs, but I may have to pee in a bucket and carry it down the stairs to dump it in to the storm drains. Wash out the bucket in Goodacre Lake, and back upstairs.
(See, I have my plan all worked out.)
Pieta VanDyke

#162 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:34 PM

If the pipes are still intact but water is cut off you can continue to use the toilet and just flush with seawater, provided that you're able to carry a few pails of it up to your place.

#163 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:35 PM

So I might be able to stay here for a few days, until it is declared uninhabitable.   

But if the scale of the damage is very widespread, your building won't be declared uninhabitable any time soon, if also hundreds or thousands of other dwellings are in the same poor condition.  Declarations will not come quick.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#164 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:32 PM

But if the scale of the damage is very widespread, your building won't be declared uninhabitable any time soon, if also hundreds or thousands of other dwellings are in the same poor condition.  Declarations will not come quick.

Ya, I know. I will organize the residents here. I've just been fixating on this pee disposal thing. Some people are going to have to take on the "honey wagon" duties and haul out other peoples' deposits. Yuck!
Pieta VanDyke

#165 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:41 PM

As a previous poster says, unless you building shifts you sewer probably be ok. Water main in broken somewhere will not prevent you draining toilets with salt water you bring up.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#166 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:10 PM

http://www.dailymail...t-Cold-War.html

It was not until 2010 that anyone thought to open the heavy steel hatch, climb down the ladder and explore the 8-foot-by-10-foot chamber

What kind of unimaginative people have a steel hatch in their backyard for 10 years before they decide to open it???  That's the first thing I would have done.

#167 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:22 PM

What kind of unimaginative people have a steel hatch in their backyard for 10 years before they decide to open it???  That's the first thing I would have done.

Ha ha, that's kind of what I thought when I read it.  wtf.

#168 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:06 PM

I know I'd want to know what was down there...

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#169 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:15 AM

... I may have to pee in a bucket and carry it down the stairs to dump it in to the storm drains. Wash out the bucket in Goodacre Lake, and back upstairs.
(See, I have my plan all worked out.)

Why take the stairs when there is the balcony?   :confused:

#170 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:18 AM

I know I'd want to know what was down there...

If you had seen the recent Hugh Jackman movie Prisoners, you might not have wanted to know.

#171 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:40 PM

Why take the stairs when there is the balcony?   :confused:

That will be 21 floors of golden showers. Let me think about it.
  • Bingo likes this
Pieta VanDyke

#172 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:01 AM

Here is a lesson in emergency preparedness. Tree wells. Skiing season is coming up.

If you are skiing off of the groomed runs, this could happen to you, or someone you are skiing with.

A friend of mine is one of the people that pulled this guy out of the tree well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jvEYzh_1Sg

#173 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:42 AM

That is an amazing piece of video. What if that person had been sking alone and had not been noticed in that predicament?

#174 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 07:01 AM

They die.

You know my friend that was there Bingo. He said that once they start to struggle their way out, they go down further and suffocate within 15 minutes.

#175 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 December 2013 - 10:01 AM

Thanks for sharing that.  I wouldn't want to die upside-down in a tree well.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#176 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 10:33 AM

Wow.

#177 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,186 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:06 AM

Holy smokes, that was quite intense.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#178 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:11 PM

Holy smokes, that was quite intense.

Come to think of it what is the story on how he managed to go head first down a tree well, on what looks like the down hill side of the tree?

I know guys have gone head first off the back of a sailboat by using one hand to hang on , and the other to......well you know.   :redface:

#179 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,186 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:47 AM

Perhaps colliding with a tree tends to make you to fall head first into the tree well. With skis or a snowboard attached to your feet you're not going in legs first, that's for sure.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#180 arfenarf

arfenarf
  • 322 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 05:33 PM

That was sobering.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users