Photo

Earl's | Victoria | Government St. @ View St.

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#61 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 03:29 PM

The humane beef thing really blew up my Facebook feed last week. Earl's includes Cactus Club too.

I really don't understand Earl's issue with Canadian beef though. If a cow is sick, what are you supposed to do, NOT give it medicine? Canadian beef standards are very, very high, regardless of whether they are 'humane certified' or not.

Probably no issue with Canadian beef from a "safety" standpoint as they have very high standards.  I think it has more to do with marketing to Millennials.  From what I've read, this demographic, which is now larger than the boomers, is more concerned about additives and the humane treatment of farm animals than the older generations were.  Just look at the A&W commercials touting their hormone free chicken sandwiches to a skeptical group of Millennials who often respond with "well, that's a step in the right direction" vs. an outright "that's awesome man".

Edited by Gary H, 03 May 2016 - 03:30 PM.

#62 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 04:12 PM

Earl's includes Cactus Club too.

Hey, I never knew that!

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#63 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 07:11 AM

Earls backtracks on move away from Canadian beef, vows to put it back on the menu

http://business.fina...ack-on-the-menu

• lanforod likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#64 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 05 May 2016 - 06:25 AM

Or maybe not: http://www.therebel...._then_they_lied

#65 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 06:35 AM

"It’s not bad enough that Earls called farmers inhumane. Now they think Canadians are stupid enough to believe these lies? We aren’t. We won’t fall for this."

Why does every millennial think they can protest their way into and out of everything? Few care about the beef Earl's uses and fewer still will be bothered to change their preferred haunts over something so insignificant.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#66 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 07:03 AM

Why does every millennial think they can protest their way into and out of everything? Few care about the beef Earl's uses and fewer still will be bothered to change their preferred haunts over something so insignificant.

That's what I was gonna say, a silent switch with no hoopla would have gone unnoticed.  Earl's also can't have all that big a portion of the overall meat market.

#67 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 07:17 AM

A single Save-Ons likely sells more beef in a day than the entire Earl's chain uses.

*VHF almanac

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#68 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 11:45 AM

Just want to say up front that Earl's is one of our goto restaurants downtown and it will remain that way.

However, I found this whole beef switch controversy kinda fascinating and if you peel back the onion a bit further you'll find the issues run deeper and introduce religious slaughter practices into the equation.

As it turns out Creekstone Farms is a Halal slaughterhouse, meaning they follow Muslim law in the preparation of meat.  These laws include how the animal must be treated during its life and the method of slaughter, which is done by hand by a practicing Muslim slaughterman who recites a very short blessing while slitting the animal's throat.  This is very similar to the Jewish Kosher slaughter method.

Earl's tried to explain on their Facebook page via a letter from Creekstone Farms that the beef they procure is not Halal "certified", meaning, according to the letter, that the animal was not blessed during the slaughtering.

https://www.facebook...?type=3

It's also worth noting that the "humane certification" includes an exception to first stunning the animal for both Halal and Kosher religious slaughters (see pic below from http://certifiedhuma....Guidelines.pdf).  Then again, the Creekstone letter states in bold that they do stun prior to throat slitting which I don't think is considered truly Halal. 

Of course all of this has sparked some absurd online commentary including support for terrorism and satanic sacrifices.  One such comment has even led to a political resignation: Craig Chandler quits Alberta PC board after 'Earls supports terrorists' comment, from http://www.cbc.ca/ne...ation-1.3559281

It's also interesting that Halal is no longer mentioned anywhere on the Creekstone Farms website.  It used to be listed under the EU Certified bullet.

It's a crazy world for sure!   :mellow:

Page 29.png

#69 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 07:34 PM

^That would be enough to stop me from going to Earls on it's own.

All Halal certification does is provide a religious tax on your food.

There is quite an uproar about it in Australia.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#70 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 03:06 PM

Earl's has applied to extend its liquor hours, to close at 1am Su-Th and 2am Fri-Sat.  In both cases that's an hour later than they must close now.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 09 April 2018 - 03:07 PM.

#71 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 03:27 PM

^I don't think that's necessary. We already permit them to operate much like a pub, a 2 am closing only adds to the nightclub chaos at that hour.

What's the dress code situation these days, VHF?

#72 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 03:38 PM

What's the dress code situation these days, VHF?

I usually wear dress pants, no pleat, and some type of casual plaid shirt.  Comfortable shoes over flashy.  I'm still allowed in most places.

• Rob Randall and lanforod like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users