Photo

Cost of Cars

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 08:37 PM

Interesting post up on The Daily Score: [url=http://www.sightline.org/daily_score/archive/2007/07/20/sticker-shocker:b18a7]Sticker Shocker[/url:b18a7], posted by Clark Williams-Derry...

He writes:

Everyone knows that cars are expensive, right? Still, it may come as a surprise to find out just how much money we spend getting from place to place.

The cost of the car itself -- typically the second biggest purchase many families make in their lives -- is just the start. When you start adding in the cost of gasoline, and car insurance, and maintenance and repairs, and parking, and taxes to build new roads and maintain old ones, and license fees, and the medical costs of traffic accidents...boy, I could go on all day...Well, suffice it to say, the zeroes start adding up.

A while back I asked the estimable Yoram Bauman to wade through consumer spending figures to try to figure out how much we actually spend on cars in a year. Cutting to the chase...

In the Northwest states--Washington, Oregon, and Idaho--about 19 percent of all consumer spending goes towards transportation. A bit of that pays for planes, trains, and buses, but a whopping 95 percent pays for cars and related expenses.

Think of it this way. Open up your wallet, or check your bank balance, or look at your last paycheck. If you're close to average, about one-fifth of all the money you see will go to pay for your car.

Or think of it this way -- maybe you had a rough commute this morning, and spent 20 minutes in traffic. That's frustrating. But consider this: for the first hour and a half you spend at work, you're busy working to pay for your car. Which means that you're spending more time "stuck in traffic" at the office than on the road.

If anything, Yoram's estimates are conservative. They don't include the cost of building your garage, if you have one; nor do they cover the cost of parking spaces that businesses build for your convenience. (Those costs show up in your mortgage and shopping bills.) Yoram's figures also don't include the cost of any taxes that are paid to secure your fuel supply; those mostly show up as taxes on income or capital gains. And they certainly don't cover the external costs of climate change; of air, water, and noise pollution; or of the pain and suffering caused by car accidents.

The really interesting thing to me about all this, though, is the comparison with British Columbia. BC residents spend only about 14 percent of their income on transportation, including about 12 percent that's spent on cars. (In terms of daily work time, BC residents spend about a half-hour less each day "stuck in traffic," paying for cars, gas, and the like.)

There's no one reason for BC's advantage. Part of it is that cars in Canada have historically cost more than in the US (exchange rates, and all that) -- which means that people buy fewer of them. In the Northwest US, there are more cars than drivers.

But at least some part of the explanation is that BC cities (and Canadian cities generally) are laid out so that people can get by without driving so much. And that means that people don't need to spend so much to get around -- so even though cars and gas are more expensive, they BC residents spend less on them, person for person, than we do.

Well, if we have that advantage, let's make sure we don't fritter it away in the coming years...
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#2 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 09:02 PM

I think we're improving in the cores. We're going backwards in the outskirts.

#3 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 06:23 PM

I remember years ago the Victoria Cycling Coalition coming up with a figure of around $7,000/year to own and operate a car. Even though they aren't the most unbiased source, the number sounded about right. I can think of many better ways to spend that money, especially since bicycling isn't that much slower, is way cheaper and is healthier.
In chains by Keynes

#4 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 06:43 PM

^I think they got that number from the Canadian Automobile Assn. That number must be a lot higher considering the cost of gas and insurance today.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#5 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 08:51 AM

I have a hard time believing the stats, or rather: the conclusion suggested by the title, in [url=http://www.canada.com/victoriatimescolonist/news/story.html?id=25d642a0-2b35-462f-80e8-e7c18deb951f&k=43735:49044]Downtown parking here is pricier than in bigger cities[/url:49044], by Darron Kloster (in today's T-C).

Or perhaps it's another case of the paper giving an article a headline title that has almost nothing to do with the article's content? Kloster's article says that Victorians pay an average of $280 per month for reserved spots, but that this puts them in the middle of 10 major Canadian cities.

He also points out that:

Midtown parking in New York is the most expensive by far at $669 Cdn a month.

(...snip...)

On a global scale, even New York looks affordable. Topping the charts is London, where a month of parking costs $1,272 Cdn.

You have to wonder who came up with the title for Kloster's article, and why...

For more perspective on the high cost of parking your car, take a look at [url=http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/12/us/12parking.html?ex=1341892800&en=259ed9e547280ce4&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss:49044]For Parking Space, the Price Is Right at $225,000[/url:49044] by Vivian S. Toy (New York Times, 7/12/07).

The caption says:
Cynthia Habberstad, with her children, Andrew, Brielle and Brooke, said she regretted not buying a parking spot for $165,000 with the apartment she bought on West 28th Street. The spaces are now all taken.

In Houston, $225,000 will buy a three-bedroom house with a game room, den, in-ground pool and hot tub.

In Manhattan, it will buy a parking space. No windows, no view. No walls.

(...snip...)

Spaces are in such demand that there are waiting lists of buyers. Eight people are hoping for the chance to buy one of five private parking spaces for $225,000 in the basement of 246 West 17th Street, a 34-unit condo development scheduled for completion next January. The developer, meanwhile, is seeking city approval to add four more spots.

When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 09:01 AM

That figure is wacky. There must be less than 100 spots in victoria that cost $280/mo.

At the old Bay parkade, the price is about $110. On Tyee Rd., a 10 minute walk to most of downtown, it's free.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#7 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 09:38 AM

City of Victoria parkade rates run from $110 to $200 a month.

According to the recently release parking report, monthly rates are "slightly below the monthly rates charged in larger centres, and significantly above those in Kelowna and Kamloops."

The report says reserved spaces in Robbins' lots range from $120 to $210 a month. That's still way below what the Colliers report claims, even taking into account the supposed $55 increase since 2005.

The most expensive public parking by far is the Robbins Broughton parkade, where a reserved space is $300 a month. But nothing else in the city even comes close! There are two Robbins lots that charge $210 and all the other lots are $120 to $200. Again--this is for reserved--random is even cheaper. City parkades are cheaper still.

$280 is average?! So where are these ultra-luxury, fur-lined, deluxe "average" parking spaces?

I call bullshit.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#8 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 11:06 AM

I call bullshit.

So do I. But I guess the article only talks of reserved space at the $280 rate.

Using the parkade M-F all month (22 days) using the daily rate is only $264/mo. Govt. workers with flex days probably use them 20 days or less, not counting less use for stat. holidays, and their own personal vacations.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#9 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 11:59 AM

I'm no math whiz, but I think the high cost of the Broughton parkade is skewing the average reserved monthly rate.

I think that the MEDIAN rate for reserved parking in a Robbins lot is somewhere around $200.

The median rate at City-owned parkades for a reserved space is $170.

#10 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 12:17 PM

This is how it must work:

Robbins reserved parking (now includes prostitute and complementary beverage):

Old Bay Parkade: reg: $110 or $130 includes kissing (no tongue); Pepsi or Aquafina.

Harbour Centre: reg: $200 or $150 includes groping (no finger); beer (local) or highball (well).

Broughton St. Parkade: reg: $300 or $410 includes lapdance (pants off), beer (import) or highball (premium) and pretzels.

#11 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 08:18 PM

CBC Victoria

Latest Interviews

Randal O'Toole (05/27/08)
Save the environment! Throw away your bus pass? We meet Randal O'Toole, author of The Vanishing Automobile and Other Urban Myths.
Listen to the interview (runs 9:33)

#12 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 09:01 PM

I think the Victoria conference centre has the most expensive parking.

#13 Guest_Marcat_*

Guest_Marcat_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2008 - 10:56 AM

I drive from the Westshore region 5 days a week to work in the core as well as assorted shopping, dining out, and weekend excursions about 2000 to 2500 km a month...at 500km to a tank and $60 a tank thats

$300 a month in fuel

My car payments are about $400 a month

Insurance payments are $140 a month (thats at zero % discount...with max coverage in all areas)

Parking downtown at $7 a day, 5 days a week, 4 weeks a month is $140

$980 a month... which works out to be $11760 a year...+ maintenance and upkeep costs, so conservatively you could take stab at the $13000 - $14000 mark depending on what goes wrong on a vehicle in a given year

#14 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 11:13 AM

Wow I'd have to get a 2nd job just to afford that sort of transport budget. Luckily for me my only fuel costs are food and drink and my work commute is a 6.5 min walk.

#15 Guest_Marcat_*

Guest_Marcat_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2008 - 11:25 AM

Wow I'd have to get a 2nd job just to afford that sort of transport budget. Luckily for me my only fuel costs are food and drink and my work commute is a 6.5 min walk.

Oh, sometimes I wonder myself! - I've recently started cycling a couple days a week to work, and putting the money I would have spent on the car aside to see how much I wind up saving, and of course, how much the waistline is affected.

That being said, thats the costs of owing a vehicle and commuting from the westshore, I work with some people that have twice that a month for fuel, on one vehicle and they have two... I'm looking at ways to cut down the costs (like biking, purchasing a hybrid or a TDI jetta etc) but such is the cost of owning a vehicle, insuring it and driving it...I think a Light Rail Transit or Express would be a great idea from the westshore...steps such as an express bus are needed. I really like the way Calgary does a lot of its transit and we are finally starting to see this to some extent in the Westshore with small feeder buses emptying out to terminuses and then the bigger buses heading into the core (I think a express bus that started at Westshore Centre, stopped at the Helmcken Overpass, and Town and Country, would be very beneficial... I know for me to get home it takes at least an hour on the bus, versus a 15 minute drive, and because I can afford it, I continue to drive, but if there was a bus service that could knock that in half, then I'd commute by bus on the days I don't cycle in...

#16 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 01:30 PM

Factoring in the money you spend on the car per year, is the larger house you managed to get in the westshore area still worth it?

#17 Guest_Marcat_*

Guest_Marcat_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2008 - 02:07 PM

Factoring in the money you spend on the car per year, is the larger house you managed to get in the westshore area still worth it?

I would say overall, yes...I prefer being closer to the country when its time to relax...maybe when dollars and cents comes down to it I wind up shelling out a couple hundred extra dollars in transportation costs, but my overall enjoyment of life etc is higher being closer to the country, I don't mind the hustle and bustle of the city and want to see Victoria as vibrant as possible, but when it comes to my relaxation, I like to be out closer to the mountains, lakes etc...

#18 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 02:14 PM

Well as long as you know the true costs of your lifestyle that's cool. A lot of people move way out there just because you can get a bigger house, then ***** non-stop about gas prices and traffic as if the two didn't directly relate to their lifestyle choices.

And good on you riding your bike! I'd probably be way too lazy haha.

#19 Guest_Marcat_*

Guest_Marcat_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2008 - 04:00 PM

Well as long as you know the true costs of your lifestyle that's cool. A lot of people move way out there just because you can get a bigger house, then ***** non-stop about gas prices and traffic as if the two didn't directly relate to their lifestyle choices.

And good on you riding your bike! I'd probably be way too lazy haha.

I know exactly what you mean, that would be 90% of my neighbours! - I've lived in Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton, there is at no point (short of major accidents) do I have any major complaints about traffic in Victoria, it generally tends to move, although you do have the occasional crappy day on the "crawl" I've spent in some of those cities as much as 3 hours getting across a distance from downtown to the westshore, in what takes me on a bad day 45 minutes...gas, its an accepted cost of living further out of the core, if you can't accept it, or figure out alternative means, you have no business living all the way out there. I think everyone complains about the cost of gas to a certain point, its in our nature, who wants to pay more and more for something every month? but at the same time, it is what it is and if you want to drive its something you have to pay for! I choose to live out of the urban centre, and fully accept the additional costs that are associated (as for house size I couldn't care less if it was bigger or smaller, I've been a house builder in the past and I do renovations here and there, I don't buy a house based on size or amenities I buy it based on location and price, from there I can do anything I want to it...

The biking...yikes, some days I tell you its a chore and a half, but the end result (more money in the wallet and a smaller waistline and over all healthier outlook) is well worth the sweat in the morning!

#20 Zimquats

Zimquats
  • 299 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 06:16 PM

See, I was the opposite. I move from town to town a lot for work, so usually just end up renting. Well, I wanted a brand new high end place, and saw I could get that at Bear Mountain for about $500 less than downtown, so I figured what the hell...

Seems that $500 savings is eaten up pretty quick with a $600/ month gas bill and $250 on cabs (ya, I occasionally partake in a few BEvERages downtown).

Sad thing is, it's not like it would have taken that much thought on my part to figure it out before I did it, so I really can't complain haha.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users